PDA

View Full Version : training

charlie.1
04-07-2008, 10:47 PM
hello peeps, im looking to get into the refrigeration industry (build/install cold/freezer/chiller rooms etc) & maintenance/repairs, later to add air con, was wondering what qualifications do i need?
Can someone recommend a training center where i can do this in a few weeks rather than a year/s in college?
All advice will be much appreciated no matter how small.

cheers

taz24
04-07-2008, 11:05 PM
Can someone recommend a training center where i can do this in a few weeks rather than a year/s in college?
All advice will be much appreciated no matter how small.

cheers

Hello Charlie.

Not wanting to be rude but its a tall order to learn all that you want in a few weeks.

What background do you come from?
It might help if we know.
Are you electrical, Plumbing, construction or something else that might give you a start?

Cheers taz.

Ps if you find somwhere that teaches you what you want in a few weeks let us all know because it will be a fanstatic training centre.

marc5180
05-07-2008, 05:36 PM
A few weeks:rolleyes:. Don't mean to be harsh but it ain't going to happen in a few weeks.

ali_engineer
05-07-2008, 06:09 PM
Hi lads, but it will happen,it depends on the person, for me it happend, learning all refrigeration just in couple of weeks! I passed two years in college and was for me just couple of days even! cos time going too fast!
Dear Charllie,be patient, nothing will happen over a night!

Goodluck in your plans, Ali

charlie.1
05-07-2008, 07:22 PM
hi sorry if i come across as a bit naive, which was not my intention, i know life is a learning curve.
i think i did not explain myself properly. Im 29 with a young family, and thats why i said a few weeks meaning i cannot be at college full-time.
I need to know what are the basic (if there is such a thing) qualifications i need to get me started in the field.
I come from an electrical background, and im very 'hands on' person.

thanks in advance

marc5180
05-07-2008, 08:40 PM
for me it happend, learning all refrigeration just in couple of weeks! I passed two years in college and was for me just couple of days even!
Goodluck in your plans, Ali
So you learned all refrigeration in a few days , weeks or years?

taz24
05-07-2008, 08:50 PM
hi sorry if i come across as a bit naive, which was not my intention, i know life is a learning curve.
i think i did not explain myself properly. Im 29 with a young family, and thats why i said a few weeks meaning i cannot be at college full-time.
I need to know what are the basic (if there is such a thing) qualifications i need to get me started in the field.
I come from an electrical background, and im very 'hands on' person.

thanks in advance

If you are electrical then you will have a start on most.
You only need a refrigerant handling certificate to be legal. The industry tend to opt for a level 2 NVQ as a minimum standard, which is a two year course for most. If you want to go it alone then the truth is no one can stop you.

You can do night school or distance learning to get your quals but for the NVQ you must be work based for the evidence so it is a catch 22.

all the best taz.

guyeves
11-08-2008, 09:43 PM
hi there i went to H.A.L trianing centre/services in Doncaster got myself my NVQ level 2 in 2 weeks!! obviously its no match for real life experience but its a start!! and now im a trainee refrigeration engineer so things are looking up!!

Tony
19-08-2008, 12:20 PM
i went to H.A.L trianing centre/services in Doncaster got myself my NVQ level 2 in 2 weeks!

Thats funny - because HAL Training do not offer NVQs at all.

If you think you have an NVQ in Refrigeration and Air Conditioning from HAL then either you have misunderstood or you have been misinformed!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brian_UK
19-08-2008, 11:00 PM
Quite correct Tony, HAL do not provide NVQ certification.

taz24
20-08-2008, 12:30 AM
hi there i went to H.A.L trianing centre/services in Doncaster got myself my NVQ level 2 in 2 weeks!! obviously its no match for real life experience but its a start!! and now im a trainee refrigeration engineer so things are looking up!!

I agree with Tony and Brian, you did not get a NVQ from HAL. You did get some good training, your gas handle and brazing perhaps. You you will have got the basics from HAL but not the NVQ.

Cheers taz

Gozzy
14-10-2008, 03:33 AM
it takes a total of 8 months over a 4 year span in Canada

charlie.1
14-10-2008, 08:29 PM
Hello peeps
Thanks once again for the replys.

Have been looking around at some training centers and have paid a vist to h.a.l in doncaster and prtc in burnley. Both offering similar course content but varying in price. Has anyone been to either one of these and how did they find them, also any other traning centers any one would recommend.

cheers

Noori
14-10-2008, 10:47 PM
I advice u to do the on line course called (NATE CORE) with carrier corporation because its necessary for all whom working in the HVAC field.

pauly-wog
16-10-2008, 06:53 AM
Don,t listen to these guys charlie if you want to install coolers, freezers ,then go ahead ,you don,t really even need to go to school,all you need is a good pipe wrench and a good hammer.Oh it helps to have some good duct tape ,so off ya go ,have fun

icecube51
16-10-2008, 09:51 PM
Yo Paulie, go back under that rock where you came from and duck tape yourself to it so you stay there,O yeah give yourself a good knock whit that hammer you use to repair things and have a good long sleep. in the mean time we will explain to the younsters how they can get in this bussines legaly and secure.

Ice

if you step on some tows keep in mind to get a kick in the **S

icecube51
16-10-2008, 10:01 PM
Now Charlie,
if you have a good basic electric knowledge you can start to learn the basic operating cycles of a cooling device, then try to learn the necessarily parts that comes in between,than the different models of parts that basically works the same as any other model,and so one and one. go to night school, even if it takes 3 years or so. try to find a job in the field,even when it is for cleaning up after a technician. ask honest questions to tech guys,don't start for the money,but for the love of the job.

you see, it will comes like nice sweet honey and never stop loving it.

just mi point of view.

Ice

chillyblue
16-10-2008, 11:54 PM
Message for Tony, i believe your avatar is of Sabroes With Unisab controllers, brings back many a fond memory. I don't have the pleasure now, but i used to look after about twenty of them, nursed and rebuilt them through there life, really good machines.

CB