PDA

View Full Version : How long do I leave a new appliance before switching it on ?

boschowner
03-07-2008, 11:42 AM
Hi All,
New member here.Have just taken delivery of a new Bosch KGN34V00GB Frost Free F/F.

The delivery blokes have had it laying on its back in the van,for heaven knows how long.

How long should I allow all the oil to run back down into the compressor etc,before I turn it on ?

I have read varying times from 2 hours to 24 hours.I was thinking of switching it on around 5am tommorow morning,before I go to work,which would be some 18 hours after delivery.Is this long enough ?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

chemi-cool
03-07-2008, 12:15 PM
Its just a myth, even if a small amount of oil left the compressor, it will come back very quick as in most appliances, the compressor is almost on the floor.

GXMPLX
03-07-2008, 04:15 PM
This time I disagree with chemi-cool.

Manufacturers indicate certain angles that should be respected during transport.

Bad news is that if oil came into the cylinders trhough the discharge line (very unlilely but possible) no matter how long you wait it won't come out and could break compressor on start.

More likely is that refrigerant is the problem. Heat the compressor with a hair dryer or live it in the sun or wait 24 hours. None of these are completely effective but will help.

30 minutes before starting the compressor place ice in the evaporator making good thermal contact with it and cool it down.

Take your chances the odds are in your favour.

Switch it on and INMEDIATELY off, wait a minute and repeat this then start it.

chemi-cool
03-07-2008, 06:11 PM
You don't have to agree with me, I have worked with these things for 20 years and always started them straight away but as far as I'm concerned, you can leave them standing for a week........;)

GXMPLX
03-07-2008, 06:38 PM
You don't have to agree with me, I have worked with these things for 20 years and always started them straight away but as far as I'm concerned, you can leave them standing for a week........;)

You mean besides not drivin' with you trhough the midlands I don't have to bet against you for you are some lucky ...

chemi-cool
03-07-2008, 06:49 PM
OK, lets look at it seriously,

if you lay a fridge on the side, what can go wrong inside the system:

the discharge flapper will not let any oil go out into the discharge tube.

If you lay it on the other side, maybe, a tiny bit of oil will go up the suction tube.

the only time fridges are on the side, is for a few moments when they are carried into the house.

Once they are in,they are upright.

so please try and explain to me what can happened if they are plugged in straight away?

monkey spanners
03-07-2008, 07:04 PM
I'd turn it on, if any oil has got out it can only have gone out the suction pipe. It'll have drained back after a few minutes if its going to, any that hasn't drained back will soon get puffed back to the compressor by the refrigerant.

If it does only go 'hum click' due to the compressor siezing up its a new fridge with a warranty so they'll have to send you a new one, and not transport it on its back.

GXMPLX
03-07-2008, 07:58 PM
Wrong.

The flappers are brand new and seats need run in like any other piece of equipment.

Some designs need pressure on the high side to really close (and oil of course).

You can assume nothing on the valve position.

There is vibration in the road.

Unless of course you are in the midlands … sorry, you said seriously … forgot! Like my wife says I can’t control myself!

Have you ever seen how bolts are fed on automatic assembly lines? Vibration! The same way oil could get in from the high side.

In this situation don’t count on oil viscosity for it may be saturated with refrigerant at high temperature therefore low viscocity.

If you lay it on the other side, maybe, a tiny bit of oil will go up the suction tube.

Not unless you are dancing with it while you transport it … I know I know … wife!

the only time fridges are on the side, is for a few moments when they are carried into the house.

For short periods of time nothing happens we agree!

Even in long periods of time the odds of this happening are low but why take all the risk … unless you are a lucky chemi! … wife again!

At least try to get some of the refrigerant out warming it first to have a high condensation rate inside the evap when you cool it with ice. If this doesn’t help to get liquid refrigerant and oil out at least will help in not overloading the compressor for long periods of time when it starts.

GXMPLX
03-07-2008, 08:08 PM
I'd turn it on, if any oil has got out it can only have gone out the suction pipe. It'll have drained back after a few minutes if its going to, any that hasn't drained back will soon get puffed back to the compressor by the refrigerant.

If it does only go 'hum click' due to the compressor siezing up its a new fridge with a warranty so they'll have to send you a new one, and not transport it on its back.

I don't know what type of compressors you work with but tollerances in modern ones won't let the oil go through between biston and cylinder.

Flappers are different that's why they need pressure in their back to really close.

Warranty responsability should go to the transporter in this case because transport position is very well indicated in the packing.

So in this case I must assume there is no warranty involved, or no original paching, you have to sue the transporter.

Sorry chemi-cool, old friend, you I will treat seriously!

Brian_UK
03-07-2008, 11:27 PM
One thing to bear in mind when the fridge/compressor is transported incorrectly is that the compressor internals can be damaged.

The motor inside the shell is supported on springs and the discharge pipe is a solid(ish) fixture.

Any bouncing around in the van/lorry could break the motor mountings.

Personally I would not have accepted delivery.

344martin
06-07-2008, 10:10 AM
Bosch kgn......... In 6 months the damn thing will freeze up the evaporator and the fridge will go warm. (unless Bosch have fitted the modification that doesn't work)

GXMPLX
06-07-2008, 10:19 PM
One thing to bear in mind when the fridge/compressor is transported incorrectly is that the compressor internals can be damaged.

The motor inside the shell is supported on springs and the discharge pipe is a solid(ish) fixture.

Any bouncing around in the van/lorry could break the motor mountings.

Personally I would not have accepted delivery.

You are absolutely right, but you have to give the guy a chance.

It's not for nothing that chemi-cool hasn't had this problem in 20 years. I've had it like 3 times in 26 years so the odds are really good that the compressor will survive.

If it doesn't work then sue the transporter. He should know better.

344martin
12-07-2008, 10:31 PM
Is this LADA yours ?:D

Yes, all original (apart from a respray) 1978, 11,000 genuine miles and 1 of only 2 left on U.K. roads. I think it's a classic but others may laugh........

monkey spanners
13-07-2008, 07:23 PM
I've got a Lada Niva 4x4, its the only vehicle i've owned that hasn't broken down. The parts are very cheap and its easy to work on.
If they made vans i'd be very tempted (though i think they now own LDV)

Jon :)

344martin
13-07-2008, 10:10 PM
I sent you a pm on lada.co.uk forum

GXMPLX
14-07-2008, 02:35 AM
I've got a Lada Niva 4x4, its the only vehicle i've owned that hasn't broken down. The parts are very cheap and its easy to work on.
If they made vans i'd be very tempted (though i think they now own LDV)

How does it perform traveling the midlands DUSTY roads?

monkey spanners
14-07-2008, 06:29 PM
Cheers Martin :)

Gxmplx,

Its drives very well, i've even used it for work the last time my van broke down. I took it round an off road coarse last year and was impresssd with its abilities despite the road tyres it has fitted at the moment.
It gets used mostly for checking on our horses so is full of rugs and buckets etc.

Peter_1
14-07-2008, 07:35 PM

I do it the same since many years, never had a problem with it. The worst that can happen is that the compressor shuts down on his clixon once or twice.

GXMPLX
14-07-2008, 07:57 PM
I do it the same since many years, never had a problem with it. The worst that can happen is that the compressor shuts down on his clixon once or twice.

Next time cook the evaporator with ice and you won't even trip the klixon.

This happens because the compressor is working outside it's operating envelope. With the ice it won't overload.

This has no relation to any transport damage.