PDA

View Full Version : Globa; Warming Redux

US Iceman
02-07-2008, 04:57 PM
With all the alarm of global warming being caused by mankind, here is some good reading material that might explain where the Arctic ice is going...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,374542,00.html

Chunk
02-07-2008, 05:49 PM
Nice article.

I like the way scientists still saying that underwater volcanoes wouldnt have that much effect on melting the ice.Thats quite funny,i would have thought the eruptions,spewing out magma at 2000*c,would probably have some effect.:D

I still think its too many polar bears partying thats causing all this grief.

US Iceman
02-07-2008, 06:28 PM
I suppose it's like everything else when you get more than two people together in the same room. There always seem to be multiple opinions. Which is fine as long as the discussion does not descend into alarmist views and why people should revert back to the stone age.

I read somewhere that undersea volcanoes pump out more CO2 in one eruption than mankind has for the last 200 years (something like that, but it was not a small number).

When you dig deep enough it's interesting to know we are in the middle of a inter-glaciation period. So I suppose the climate could go either way. If it starts to get cold and all the polar bears start wandering around in our backyards, then someone will start asking the government to shoot them because now they are a nuisance!:D

The concern to me is: what can we do to reduce our rates of pollution? The climate has changed before people were the dominant species from what I've seen.

chemi-cool
02-07-2008, 07:55 PM
One of my favored sites on the subject,
take your time and read

http://www.john-daly.com/

US Iceman
02-07-2008, 08:18 PM
Good site chemi. Thanks for sharing that link. Now we have to be careful with facts. They sometimes cause people with a vested interest to get upset.

There is a person here in the US that is testifying about people who run energy companies...they should be locked up for crimes against humanity or something like that!:(

The MG Pony
04-07-2008, 09:48 PM
Nice article.

I like the way scientists still saying that underwater volcanoes wouldnt have that much effect on melting the ice.Thats quite funny,i would have thought the eruptions,spewing out magma at 2000*c,would probably have some effect.:D

I still think its too many polar bears partying thats causing all this grief.

Again any thing is possible when you don't know what your talking about.

At a depth of over a 1,000-2,000 feet verry little heat gets to the ice from the eruption, the vast majourity of its power is directly absorbed and spread out by the water, just like detonating a small charge at a larg depth, all you see is a flash and small bubble with verry little effect on the suroundings.

you have to look at the whole picture just not 30 seconds quotes or sound bytes, it is the sum of the system not it parts that effects how it opperates.

The MG Pony
04-07-2008, 09:51 PM
I suppose it's like everything else when you get more than two people together in the same room. There always seem to be multiple opinions. Which is fine as long as the discussion does not descend into alarmist views and why people should revert back to the stone age.

I read somewhere that undersea volcanoes pump out more CO2 in one eruption than mankind has for the last 200 years (something like that, but it was not a small number).

When you dig deep enough it's interesting to know we are in the middle of a inter-glaciation period. So I suppose the climate could go either way. If it starts to get cold and all the polar bears start wandering around in our backyards, then someone will start asking the government to shoot them because now they are a nuisance!:D

The concern to me is: what can we do to reduce our rates of pollution? The climate has changed before people were the dominant species from what I've seen.

Thats the magic question with a suprisingly simple answer, don't be a pig, and keep things to a basic but comfertable level! get a car that meets your needs usualy a well built 4cyl is more then enough for vast majourity of people, use CFLs rather then filiment based bulbs, spend a bit extra on insulation for the house.

Such simple things yet so over looked!

Chunk
04-07-2008, 10:21 PM

At a depth of over a 1,000-2,000 feet verry little heat gets to the ice from the eruption, the vast majourity of its power is directly absorbed and spread out by the water, just like detonating a small charge at a larg depth, all you see is a flash and small bubble with verry little effect on the suroundings.

you have to look at the whole picture just not 30 seconds quotes or sound bytes, it is the sum of the system not it parts that effects how it opperates.

Whatever.

I went to college to learn how to fix fridges,not to worry about how volcanoes work.

And you know too much about everything.;)

US Iceman
05-07-2008, 12:17 AM
...get a car that meets your needs usualy a well built 4cyl is more then enough for vast majourity of people, use CFLs rather then filiment based bulbs, spend a bit extra on insulation for the house.

I didn't mean I need to know what to do for myself.:(

Politicians already have figured this out for us.:D

I might suggest you take a little easier approach to how you make a point. I'm sure you have studied climate change and the computer generated reports all say we are going to die, the earth will flood, and the poor polar bears will take over...

That's the problem with trying to have a discussion on a topic like this. Those who think they know everything are fast to tell the rest of us who might have dissenting views (or waiting for more or better information) how to live or what to think.

Until we can have a discussion that holds some form of tolerance some will inevitably descend into an argument of name calling.

Josip
05-07-2008, 10:00 PM
Hi, :)

.... nature is waring us all the time, but we keep going on blind and deaf to all warnings .... just looking for some extra profit to make our life better .....

.... humankind is very selfish ..... has always been obsessed by power .... what is not good at all...

... bill will come one day .... unfortunately our successors should pay for all our mistakes ....

.... it is hard to say what to do, but taking care and trying to reduce nature pollution each of us can do a very little, but a sum of our efforts can be tremendous ... and maybe repair a lot of wrong done steps...

... the most important is to start to take care now ....

Best regards, Josip :)