PDA

View Full Version : tk md2 sr code20, wont start

eggtrucker
02-07-2008, 06:23 AM
hey all, i have a tk md2 sr that wont start, its turning the engine but wont start up. sounds like its not getting fuel but i checked the lines and its pumping fuel ok. its giving me a code 20 "engine failed to start"... does it need a new spark plug?? im lost...

SteinarN
02-07-2008, 07:16 AM
If it's getting fuel at the inlet at the fuel pump at the engine, it may be the fuel solenoid that is defect. The fuel solenoid is mounted in the back of the fuel pump.

eggtrucker
02-07-2008, 08:02 AM
If it's getting fuel at the inlet at the fuel pump at the engine, it may be the fuel solenoid that is defect. The fuel solenoid is mounted in the back of the fuel pump.
thanks for the advice =) is the fuel solenoid something easy to change for a armature techy like me or something i should take to the dealer? thanks again!

eggtrucker
02-07-2008, 08:12 AM
just thought of something...is there a fuel solenoid fuse that could have blown? or some other electrical problem preventing the solenoid from working?

SteinarN
02-07-2008, 11:26 AM
It's reasonably easy to replace. Be aware of the O-ring in front of the solenoid. It is easy to lose when you remove the solenoid.

I think you should get an alarm for bad fuse if any is blown, but I'm not sure. You may check if you have voltage between wire labeled "HOLD" and "COM" when the unit is to start and between "PULL" and "COM" for a duration of a few seconds shortly before the starter engages. This is the wires at the fuel solenoid. You may also measure the resistance of the solenoid. It shall be something like 15 ohm betwen HOLD and COM, and 1 or 2 ohms betwen PULL and COM.

eggtrucker
02-07-2008, 05:47 PM
thanks for the words of wisdom, ill give it a try!

eggtrucker
03-07-2008, 04:55 AM
ok, i took off the solenoid but left it plugged in. when turned on the power the solenoid pulled in for only a second, then returned to the extended position. when its in the extended position the engine isnt getting fuel and cant run. does this mean the solenoid is bad? or that the circuit board is not sending the correct signals/instructions to the solenoid??

thanks in advance!

SteinarN
03-07-2008, 05:12 AM
The solenoid is most likely bad. I have replaced tons of them with the exact same fault you describe.

The few seconds "pull in" indicates you have the corect voltage pulse between wire "PULL" and "COM". You may check voltage between wire "HOLD" and "COM". If it's voltage there, then the solenoid is without doubt bad.

Braddock
12-07-2008, 03:14 PM
Good advise. Stay away from ASE Fuel solenoids. They leak in due time. I always use a stubby 3/8 flex handle ratchet with 10mm socket. Makes taking the screws a piece of cake. Also make sure the Deutsch plug (connector) Is clean and not full of oil. I always fill the connector with electrical grease when I am done.

clivemtk
12-07-2008, 10:13 PM
ok, i took off the solenoid but left it plugged in. when turned on the power the solenoid pulled in for only a second, then returned to the extended position. when its in the extended position the engine isnt getting fuel and cant run. does this mean the solenoid is bad? or that the circuit board is not sending the correct signals/instructions to the solenoid??

thanks in advance!
you have almost answered your own question let the engine start with fuel soleniod out put the soleniod back in to stop engine