PDA

View Full Version : Slope if the cold store flooring

smpsmp45
01-07-2008, 06:59 AM
In our projects, we never provide any slope for the flooring. If the ref. system is working properly, the moisture gets eliminated through defrost cycle. Some customers are still asking for slope in the cold store.

Any opinions on this?

Rajkumar
01-07-2008, 10:42 AM
at what temp. are u working?

US Iceman
01-07-2008, 03:09 PM
If this is for a freezer then I think the floor slope is irrelevant. The water will freeze where it lands (if any water does reach the floor at all).

For a cooler where wet products are stored or a regular cleaning with water occurs, then the floor slope may not be a bad idea but... the slope would have to be minimal. The pallet racks could be leveled by the use of concrete pylons cast into the floor so that you have a true horizontal plane for the rack footing.

If the slope is included I suspect this will make the rack layouts even more difficult to design since I would think you would want the draining water to stay away from those areas where the product is being stored.

smpsmp45
01-07-2008, 04:23 PM
That is right. We have been insisting on this point only. Storing materials shall be very difficult with slope. I think the client has agreed finally.

smpsmp45
01-07-2008, 04:24 PM
But I have seen Stork layouts for chicken processing & in that even ofr cold stores at -20 deg. they do insist on slope & drain system with complicated heating etc in the cold stores.

Peter_1
01-07-2008, 05:43 PM
I heard Stork is doing this to make it easily to clean afterwards.

chemi-cool
01-07-2008, 06:40 PM
slope in freezers can be slippering and therefore dangerous.

old gas bottle
01-07-2008, 06:46 PM
depends where the slope goes to i suppose,you would not want it heading for the wall panels as it would saturate them after a time and also cause health issues and smells etc, wet fish is a good example where a drain is installed for washing out,never seen one anywhere else though !:)

US Iceman
01-07-2008, 07:08 PM
One issue that may be forgotten is the fact that a floor drain offers a potential source for air flow into the cooler or freezer. If the floor drain does not have water in it, it will loose it's seal, which could allow free airflow into the space. This might add to the moisture load in the space.

winfred.dela
02-07-2008, 02:02 AM
When a customer insists on having a slope for floor cleaning, we also insist that the floor drain be located outside the room (usually in the ante room) with P-Trap located outside the building. P-traps located just below the floor drains usually becomes a future problem.

The cold room floor slope goes out through the door into the floor drain located at the ante room.
Of course, this work should be well supervised and water tested after the floor construction.

:)

smpsmp45
03-07-2008, 07:30 AM
Though we did some work with Stork, the client did not go in for the drains in the flooring as it was very very complicated matter. ofcourse the P traps was an issue, but the heaters & all that made it so complicated that time.

Rajkumar
03-07-2008, 08:14 AM
Can u tell whether your acu is floor mounted or ceiling mounted.

In case acu is floor mounted there might be chance of over flow of water in the drain tray during defrost thats why your client is asking for slope.

raj

winfred.dela
03-07-2008, 08:59 AM
Can u tell whether your acu is floor mounted or ceiling mounted.

In case acu is floor mounted there might be chance of over flow of water in the drain tray during defrost thats why your client is asking for slope.

raj

I believe Floor or Ceiling mounted drain problem should be solved by properly installing the drain pipe system with right size, slope, heater, p traps etc.

Floor slope is only for cleaning purposes.
Also, at low room temperature, slope is no use during overflow.

;)