PDA

View Full Version : `skills / trade test???????

pagey
24-11-2003, 10:18 PM
Could anybody give me any information regarding the "trade / wiring test" required to gain a work visa in Perth , Australia?
I am travelling alone for a few weeks to sort a few things out , and i was hoping to do this test and get my work visa whilst i`m there so that when i return i can get a job straight away(hopefully.)
I`m under the impression that i need to take a wiring test ( as i believe , the wiring is slightly different) but i`m not sure what it entails or how to go about it, if i can get the books now and revise or even book myself in for the test , this will all save time for when i return with the family.
I`d like any information at all regarding this ie; time scale , costs etc
If anybody could but in touch with anyone who`d know or could help , i`d be much obliged.
I`m going on my own late Jan early Feb and hoping to be there for good by maybe May / June ish (house sale pending) .
cheers

FreezerGeezer
25-11-2003, 09:43 AM
One of my mates has just done it. I haven't got much from him, but for what it's worth, here it is...

yes i had to get a elec. lice. $400, for the test $260 for the certificate( plastic card), well ripped off.
cfc lic. $75 so far,
but its all good fun.
had to get my own,
leak tester, amp probe, mulitmeter, gauges, lines, binders.

There's also a discussion here here http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/chat/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1258&highlight=Australia about working in Oz.

Bones
25-11-2003, 11:23 AM
well, in NSW it is $260+ to sit for the trade test, which takes 6 hours i'm told... i will find out next year then let you know from first hand expirience lol (I think they are the same aus wide, only the states teach apprentices in different order etc...).

It is around $99 for a cfc/hcfc license (of which u must past a refrigerants handling requirements. ie have an approved recovery machine and cylinder etc.). which of course you do!

I would try and get in contact with racca (Refrigeration & Air Conditioning Contractors Association of Australia) I think this is their <a href="http://members.ozemail.com.au/~celsius/">website</a>.

Ask them what requirements you need to get a job here with your trade qualifications completed overseas? you might only need to sit the trade test as above and get a cfc/hcfc license.

Where abouts you coming over from dude?

pagey
25-11-2003, 02:25 PM
Cheers bones ,I`m from Liverpool , UK , you heard of it ?
I`ll try mailing RACCA and i might try and get in touch with TRA , in fact i might call the agency i used and see what they can come up with . Ta mate

FreezerGeezer
25-11-2003, 06:21 PM
Hey Bones, do you get much extra work out of the C&W festival? I hear that there's a whole city of RV's & such descends on the place.

Bones
20-12-2003, 09:57 AM
well... i get alot of caravan fridges... (amonia absorbtion type)... err, about 10 calls aday... alot of a/c for display tents & trucks etc crap themselves, alot of calls regarding cafe fridge & freezers not working largely due to overloading with hot product. but all in all we run around like blue ass flies for the duration....

the population doubles for a fortnight... 55k to 110k so you notice the difference and everyones problem is more important then everyone elses lol...

yeh i follow liverpool football team when i remember the games are on pagey! (dont i turn left at the great western ring road? :p)

i hope i pointed you in the right direction buddy, left me know how you get on.

pagey
20-12-2003, 10:41 AM
cheers bones , may seem like a silly question but do i need to take my own tools to the test? ie recovery unit , gauges , tester etc
ta mate

Bones
20-12-2003, 03:28 PM
well to tell you the truth i'm not sure... not having sat for the test myself... i would take

*guages
*10 an 12" shifter
*phillips an straight blade screwdriver
*good pair pliers
*multitester
*maybe a digi temp...

i'll ask my tafe teacher what you should bring as he is the examining teacher for the area i'm in... i'll be back there feb/march next year... he will tell me what ever i want to know.

PS. also get a pair safety goggles/glasses and leather work boots, long pants etc. to cover the "workcover/OHS" part... if you fail work safety, you fail the whole test...

pagey
20-12-2003, 04:23 PM
cheers bones ,
I`m not in Oz at the moment , i`m going over in feb on my own to try and sort these things out , before we all go out there . I`ll have to take some tools over with me then just in case .
Ta mate

shogun7
08-02-2004, 10:07 PM
Hi Mates if I can call you that,being an American Gringo. For my edifacation what is a 10 an 12" shifter? We usually think of a shifter in a car (auto). You either have a shift or automatic. Just joined the web site and enjoying it imencely. I am retired after 40 years in the trade, so I spend a lot of time on the computer. You will hear from me from time to time!!
cogito ergo sum

WebRam
08-02-2004, 10:34 PM
a shifter is an engineered adjustable wrench that can be set to an actual size.

Its also good for bashing ice and holding open doors ;)

baker
09-02-2004, 02:09 AM
In Australia, it often referred to as a "Crescent" - probably because the first models were made by the Crescent Tool Co, although I have never seen one so labelled.

shogun7
09-02-2004, 03:42 AM
That would also be known as an adjustible spanner,cresent o,an adjustible open end or that #$%^#!! wrench if I skinned my nuckles.

rbartlett
09-02-2004, 07:49 AM
it's an 12 inch adjustable wrench (or 300mm )

and welcome ;-)

cheers

richard

Bones
09-02-2004, 09:42 AM
gotta love those shifters, use em allday everyday really!

15" are good for levering huge comp's out of hidy holes :)

shogun7
09-02-2004, 10:27 PM
I love the language you fine folks use, Like lift and tele etc Next time I work on my car(auto) I will ask my grandson to pass me the shifter and see if he gets it or he starts to take the transmission apart . :-)

chemi-cool
11-02-2004, 07:29 PM
we call it swedish spanner as the original was invented by bahco sweden.

chemi

rbartlett
11-02-2004, 07:34 PM
and barcho are still the best..i use their screwdrivers too..

cheers

richard

FreezerGeezer
12-02-2004, 09:16 AM
Bahco rule!

Personally, I wouldn't use any other shifter, as these don't 'slop' and lose the setting. They don't 'slop' & round off the nuts, either. The handle is the best, ergonomically. The heads are slim enugh to get into some tight spaces that lesser shifters can't, due to the use of cheaper metal needing beefier heads. And they look like tools should, in my opinion. Yes, they need care & attention, unlike the shiny surgical instrument looking things. But I was brought up to look after my tools, before the days of 'shiny surgical tools', so it deosn't bother me.

Matt
23-03-2004, 01:33 AM
Shogun7
I laughed out loud when I read your post,my wife came running to see what I was laughing at!You took the words out of my mouth.A 10 and 12 " shifter???????????
My guess ------ a 10 and 12" cresent wrench.
NO dissrespect Bones, I like reading the various lingos etc. Besides, I cracked a bottle of my favorite wiskey tonight, I may be slightly buzzed!

WebRam
23-03-2004, 08:04 AM
what the heck is wiskey ????

would you mean whisky by chance ;)

Matt
24-03-2004, 12:19 AM
I told you I was buzzed.
Whiskey-----Sometimes pronounced "Jim Beam"

Matt
24-03-2004, 12:21 AM
How do I get the smiley face after my post?
I need to do my homework!

chemi-cool
24-03-2004, 05:04 AM
click post reply,
let the page load, :)
write what ever is on your mind, :)
choose a smily from the right, :)
click on the smily you choose :)

click submit reply :D

chemi

WebRam
24-03-2004, 08:10 AM
or you can get back to basics.

; ) : ) : D (but dont leave a space)

chemi-cool
24-03-2004, 03:35 PM
(but dont leave a space)

why not a space? ;) :D :) :p

AFTER POSTING I SAW WHY!!

by the way, impressive job you have done here.

although, I think that on the " quote", the contrast should be bigger. maybe some colour?
but its is much nicer now, and gives more information on the page.

chemi

WebRam
24-03-2004, 04:31 PM
why not a space? ;) :D :) :p

AFTER POSTING I SAW WHY!!

by the way, impressive job you have done here.

although, I think that on the " quote", the contrast should be bigger. maybe some colour?
but its is much nicer now, and gives more information on the page.

chemi

Its a balance between speed and looks. T the moment I am working on speed. I am DSL less just now so I remember all those out there on modems :(