PDA

View Full Version : Hell to all Im new with a problem

my240sx88
23-06-2008, 06:46 AM
I have a Hotpoint CTX18PLJ. Its old.......i mean old. i noticed the other night that all my food in the freezer is thawed. when i went to investigate i found that the compressor wasn't spinning the fan on the compressor to col it down wasnt as well. but the internal fan is still blowing. Its just blowing mild/ room temp air. the frig isn't cold either

The Viking
23-06-2008, 06:24 PM
Hmmm,

Interesting first post...

First you ask us to go to Hell, then you want us to answer a question!

Ho Hum, I'll take it as a typo...

Generally when domestic stuff breaks down, especially if its old, it will be cheaper to replace than to repair.

Quick check to carry out before you decide to bin it. Have you got power to the compressor?

drew71
25-06-2008, 02:17 PM
I guess I will jump in if no one else is willing (maybe the typo in the title put people off) I'm guessing by the model number this is an 18 cubic foot re badged G.E, (or what they used to sell in australia as G.E)
with the limited information you have provided, I would suggest that the thermostat & timer are functioning, indicated by the evaporator fan running. Both the condenser fan and compressor not operating suggests...

a break in the wiring ? (unlikely nicely insulated thick american wiring)

compressor is out on thermal overload due to condenser fan not operating?

crappy underslung condenser design has sucked in years worth of dust, pet hair, old newspapers and dead super models causing both the fan and compressor to thermal overload ?

these are some suggestions, if you don't understand, best call someone who does