PDA

View Full Version : Orbital Compressors

GXMPLX
17-06-2008, 09:34 PM
There's a lot of discussion about scroll compressors and Scroll is a trademark.

The correct name for these compressors are ORBITAL COMPRESSORS due to the fact the moving scroll (not a trademark here) orbits around the fixed scroll.

I read some of the coments full of trade marks after the word scroll.

Drop the trademarks and start calling them by their name!

The Viking
17-06-2008, 10:10 PM
OK,
Interesting statement.

In which case, to whom does the trademark "Scroll" belong?
This as I've seen various manufacturers labelling their orbital compressors as just "Scroll".
Normally when something get a TM status, other manufacturers refrain from using that name, scared for all the legal costs one assumes.
(VRV versus VRF is a good example)

:???

GXMPLX
17-06-2008, 10:29 PM
Just in case don't say Scroll, just say scroll!
Don't ask me but the people who write a trademark after the word Scroll but if I had to bet it's Copeland's.
Orbital compressor on the other hand is ... free for all!
Should I have posted this under "New Technologies"

philfridge
17-06-2008, 10:38 PM
No the correct name is in fact scroll compressor also known as spiral. ie semi hermetic, hermetic its the type of compressor. Av a look here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scroll_pump

US Iceman
17-06-2008, 10:56 PM
I thought the scroll compressor was developed by a firm who licensed the technology to various compressor manufacturers?

On the other hand, if a name is used often enough to describe something it may loose it's protected status too.

I would think it would be similar to the use of the term screw compressor.

SRM (Sweden I believe) is the licensing firm for the twin screws. Bernard Zimmerman (from France) owns the single screw, and I believe someone else (who I think is in the USA) owns the scroll license.

nike123
18-06-2008, 12:48 AM
SRM (Sweden I believe) is the licensing firm for the twin screws. Bernard Zimmerman (from France) owns the single screw, and I believe someone else (who I think is in the USA) owns the scroll license.

Everything about patents is at that Wiki page!;)

GXMPLX
18-06-2008, 02:43 AM
I thought the scroll compressor was developed by a firm who licensed the technology to various compressor manufacturers?

On the other hand, if a name is used often enough to describe something it may loose it's protected status too.

I would think it would be similar to the use of the term screw compressor.

I understand Orbital compressor's patents date from the begining of the XX'th century, don't know who owned them. So all had expired by 1986 when Copeland produced the first one. This could be a good thread for "History of refrigeration"

US Iceman
18-06-2008, 04:23 AM
I might be wrong, but for some reason I seem to remember some engineering/research firm here in the US who worked on the scroll compressor design about 20-25 years ago.

GXMPLX
18-06-2008, 05:04 AM
I might be wrong, but for some reason I seem to remember some engineering/research firm here in the US who worked on the scroll compressor design about 20-25 years ago.

Never heard of them but Copeland started massive production by 1987, they were probably bought out.

I visited the factory in 1992, there were 16 ft. high walls within the Sydney complex so you couldn't see what was going on in there (where they machined the scrolls) but did see the assembly line. There were strict security measures enforced even for their employees.

GXMPLX
18-06-2008, 05:13 AM
No the correct name is in fact scroll compressor also known as spiral. ie semi hermetic, hermetic its the type of compressor. Av a look here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scroll_pump

If my kids quoted Wikipedia in school they'd flunk!

Go ask ASHRAE. I'm at home now, tomorrow I'll post the correct literature.

GXMPLX
20-06-2008, 01:08 AM
If my kids quoted Wikipedia in school they'd flunk!

This is true!

Go ask ASHRAE. I'm at home now, tomorrow I'll post the correct literature.

As for this, well ... first I didn't come back "tomorrow" and second cheked chapter 34 of 2004 ASHRAE Handbook page 34.21 and Orbital Compressor is a clasification like Reciprocating, Rotary, Centrifugal and of course Orbital. There are two type of Orbital compressors the Scroll and the Orbital Vane compressor.

So Wikipedia is right in calling the Scroll and the people that write all kind of trademark signs after the word Scroll can save themselves the trouble. It is an industry accepted term.