PDA

View Full Version : HELP fridge frozen - freezer warm

coolcazk
17-06-2008, 04:38 PM
My Hotpoint fridge freezer appears to be broken and I don't know what to do!
I can call someone out but that costs money and I don't want to spend money and then have to buy a new one anyway.
Basically, the fridge is freezing everything inside even though I have turned it to the lowest setting.
The 'freezer temperature too high' warning light has been displayed on and off for a week or more. It has remained on for the past day or two and last night food was defrosting so i emptied it and this morning the freezer is not cold at all.
Someone told me it sounded like the 'gas had gone' and as a leak could rarely be located it would cost lots to fix and might only be ok for a week or two and then break again. They told me to buy a new one.
An engineer told me it sounded fixable but is that just because he'll get paid even if he can't repair it?
It's only two and a half years old. Help me......please....

GXMPLX
17-06-2008, 05:15 PM
Sorry I can't be much help for I donīt know your model.

If you don't want to spend any money in it and it is cooling too much, then unplug it once in a wile to keep desired temperature.

If the compressor runs continuously it could be lack of refrigerant (what you call gas) but usually it should't freeze everything, so it seems to me you have a faulty thermostat.

If the compressor runs continuously it will eventually fail.

You should invest in replacing the thermostat or better get a technician to do it.

Maybe you are able to change a thermostat but there could be other factors like damaged electrical insulation of the compressor that could cause you injury or worst to one of your loved ones. Be careful.

Unfortunately in refrigeration for one symptom there can be many causes this and the safety issue should make you rethink about getting help from the correct people.

nike123
17-06-2008, 05:38 PM
Try to find answer here:
http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/search.php?searchid=520882

philfridge
17-06-2008, 06:48 PM
Try turning the fridge / freezer off at the mains open both doors and leave open for 48 hours to defrost any possible ice trapped inside causing the malfunction of the thermostat/ air damper. Then turn back on and report back with the results ok. :)

tonto33
11-07-2008, 12:11 AM
freezer thermistor (green) needs replacing