PDA

View Full Version : Diy ice cream machine !

text
17-06-2008, 04:27 PM
Hi, First post and straight in for the kill !
I am a motor vehicle mechanic that likes to learn how things work and design my own personal use items. Although I know refridgerant gases are not to be played with, I am still interested in learning and possibly designing a personal use soft ice cream machine that actually works. My limited knowledge is that a mixture is inserted into a hopper this is then transfered somehow into a freezing cylinder where it is chilled and there is a rotating paddle to scrap the mixture off the wall to prevent it from freezing solid and at the same time it is beaten by another set of paddles that are also attached to the rotating shaft.
I think the beating blades are to introduce air into the mixture? Then somehow the semi frozen mixture is forced out through a star shaped nozzle. Please confirm this description and also add any areas that i have missed out. Are there any good sites for this ?
Do you think its possible to build using a old domestic freezer? Your thoughts are appreciated. Thanks Text

The Viking
17-06-2008, 04:58 PM
It would be much cheaper to buy one...

philfridge
17-06-2008, 06:56 PM
:off topic: I would not attempt this so my advice to you is dont bother as you need to be suitably trained to handle /use buy refrigerant which is a legal requirement.

brian_chapin
18-06-2008, 11:58 AM
I think an old (or new) freezer for that matter would be underpowered for the task at hand.

I oversee three ice cream freezers - this really isn't a hobby level difficulty if you are going to be using a phase-change refrigerant.

There are plenty of ice/salt mixture home freezers out there to make the occasional family size batch.

text
19-06-2008, 08:25 AM
Thanks for the replies guys, but if anyone can fill in the process blanks that would be great. Even if I do not proceed with the project, the knowledge would be a great thing to have !
@ The viking - Yes it would be cheaper to buy one, but wheres the fun in that ?
@ Philfridge - Thanks for the caution about refridgeration gases ( although in the post is does say that I know the gases are not to be played with !). This would be done by a qualified technician. A more process description is what is required ?
@ brian_chapin - Why do you think a freezer would be under powered. ( That is exactly the conversation which i hoped to provoke.)
I plan on designing the machine guts and casing then involving a qualified refridgerant engineer to help with the cooling. (At hte moment I am just sounding it out for help and advice to see if it is possible).
Thanks.

chillin out
19-06-2008, 10:24 PM
I think an old (or new) freezer for that matter would be underpowered for the task at hand.
Quite true, there is no way even the largest domestic sized system would ever work on this project. It would only provide the cooling capacity for the 'pre chill' hopper.

@Text, your best bet is to look at a ice cream machine manufacturer's website and download the service manual.

After you have read it through post back with any questions.

Chillin:):)

brian_chapin
20-06-2008, 03:21 PM
@ brian_chapin - Why do you think a freezer would be under powered. ( That is exactly the conversation which i hoped to provoke.)

An example would be the ice cream freezers I am running - they use roughly 40tons of refrigeration.

A Refrigeration Ton is defined as the heat ABSORBED by one ton of ice (2000 pounds) causing it to melt completely by the end of one day (24 hours).

Therefore:

40 Refrigeration Ton = The equivalent of 80,000 Pounds of ice. We're talking a compressor with a 150-200HP motor. :rolleyes:

text
23-06-2008, 06:51 PM
Thanks for the info Brian.
You may think I am nuts but I like gaining knowledge like this !
P.S. Very well explained. Thanks

text
03-07-2008, 07:18 PM
Update, I have bought an old machine but it has no manufacturers plate or markings on it ? Can anyone help identify what it may be ? ? ? ?

chillin out
03-07-2008, 07:22 PM
Looks like a cream machine to me (not an ice cream though)

Chillin:):)

text
04-07-2008, 07:54 AM
Hi, Thanks for your reply. Heres a pic of it in action.

flitzow
28-08-2008, 11:22 AM
wow...did ur refrigerator work?

knighty
29-08-2008, 12:33 PM
looking at those pictures makes me want an ice cream !!!