PDA

View Full Version : MAXIMUM WORKING TEMPS? (Within U.K.)

Grizzly
13-06-2008, 06:20 AM
Can anyone advise?
Is there a maximum permitted working temperature.
Meaning at what temperature is it deemed unreasonable to expect an Engineer to work in?
Grizzly

Argus
13-06-2008, 08:36 AM

Common sense aside, there are no statutory upper limits to natural temperatures in the normal working environment in UK employment law to my knowledge as there are with minimum temperatures.
It may be different in other countries.

At the other end of the scale, employers are bound to keep premises at a minimum temperature in winter.

Health & Safety at work law will be in operation for environments that generate heat conditions that may be deemed unsafe as part of their process.

Otherwise you need to be more specific.

Abe can probably fill in a bit more details.......

philfridge
13-06-2008, 10:44 AM
Is your van too hot :o here are the hse guidelines about high temperatures in the workplace.

Where the temperature in a workroom would otherwise be uncomfortably high, for example because of hot processes or the design of the building, all reasonable steps should be taken to achieve a reasonably comfortable temperature, for example by:

insulating hot plants or pipes;
providing air-cooling plant;
shading windows;
siting workstations away from places subject to radiant heat.
Where a reasonably comfortable temperature cannot be achieved throughout a workroom, local cooling should be provided. In extremely hot weather fans and increased ventilation may be used instead of local cooling.
Where, despite the provision of local cooling, workers are exposed to temperatures which do not give reasonable comfort, suitable protective clothing and rest facilities should be provided. Where practical there should be systems of work (for example, task rotation) to ensure that the length of time for which individual workers are exposed to uncomfortable temperatures is limited.

icecube51
13-06-2008, 01:01 PM
When YOU feel its enough,than its enough.

as i always say " I never have a boss, only someone ho give me a job ;) ".
ICE:cool:

Abe
13-06-2008, 03:26 PM
Ok here goes.

Im at my desk right now so Ill book this advice at £150.00 per hour!!!

:o

Check this out

http://www.tuc.org.uk/h_and_s/tuc-12178-f0.cfm

Abstract:

Announces that the TUC is warning employers that they may be breaking the law if they fail to protect workers from the effects of extreme heat. Although under UK law there is no clear legal maximum workplace temperature, health and safety regulations place a duty on employers to make sure that the inside temperature is 'reasonable' during working hours.
Summary

If the temperature gets too hot then the regulations say that employers must take action to reduce the heat by introducing air conditioning or distributing fans, providing plentiful amounts of cold drinking water, moving staff away from windows or allowing them to dress down.

The TUC is warning that if employers fail to keep workplaces cool, they could be liable if a member of staff falls ill because of the heat or has an accident at work because they are feeling tired or faint.

The lack of a clear maximum temperature means that many employers are confused about what they must do and when they have to act. The TUC wants to see a maximum working temperature of 30c or 27c for those doing strenuous work. At this point employers would have to take steps to cool workplaces down.

Abe
13-06-2008, 03:31 PM
and this..........

Whilst there is a legal minimum temperature below which no-one should have to work, there is no equivalent if it gets too hot in the workplace.

But temperatures in some parts of Britain are reaching 36 degrees Celsius and the TUC is calling for a legal maximum for workplace temperatures.

At temperatures above about 25 degrees Celsius heat exhaustion starts causing problems such as loss of concentration which can lead to accidents.

"Employers do have a common law duty towards their staff and therefore if, irrespective of the actual temperature, it is extremely hot in a workplace, then the employer would have to consider carrying out a risk assessment of the heat and consider whether or not it posed a risk to their staff."

Carrying out such a risk assessment, considerations would include, whether, for example employees were actually involved in some form of physical exertion: "Obviously such employees would be likely to affected by the heat at a lower temperature than someone sitting at a desk."

Statutory provisions which exist to ensure that employers maintain a reasonable temperature in the workplace – Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992 Reg seven.

Although no maximum reasonable temperature is specified, employers are expected to take reasonable steps to deal with situation where the temperature is uncomfortably high. For example, : "Perhaps turning machines and/or lights off where possible and providing cold water and fans where appropriate."

Therefore, it seems, that if an accident or injury to an employee can be attributed to an employer being in breach of its statutory duty and/or in breach of its common law duty towards the employee, there is redress.

"A Breach of statutory duty would be a criminal offence" "for which prosecution proceedings could be taken by the Health and Safety Executive." Where the employee sues the employer for breach of the common law duty: "If the employer has not complied with its statutory duties in the workplace under the Health and Safety legislation that is evidence the employee can use in his common law action against the employer."

However, despite the fact:: "Employers more and more are becoming exasperated by the red tape which they hare having to comply with" she is of the view that: "The advantage of legislating for some sort of maximum temperature is that everybody has guidance and everybody knows where they stand. It is a grey area at the moment.

People have to make a judgment call and it would be easier if there were an absolute black and white number – perhaps the TUC’s suggestion of a maximum working temperature of 30 degrees Celsius or 27 degrees Celsius for those doing strenuous work.. With a statutory maximum and thermometers in the workplace, there would be no question as to whether it was too hot or not."

Argus
13-06-2008, 04:00 PM

So, to distil it down and answer the original question, the answer from Abe's reasoned reply is,

"No, there is no statutory upper temperature limit in the workplace in the UK".

The hazards are recognised and the employer must take reasonable steps to address any issues that arise affecting the workers safety and well being from high temperature whilst about his business.

How he assesses the situation and does that is still open to debate, but in the absence of anything else, common sense and caution must prevail.

Grizzly
13-06-2008, 04:56 PM
OK.
Thanks for the educated answers Abe and Argus.
I more or less knew what the answer was meaning that their isn't one.

But as peter points out there must be a time when common sense should prevail!

The question was raised because every year at this time of year.
Following on from a factory shutdown at which time 2 large 8 cylinder recips have to have a "top-end" overhaul and the oil & liquid line filters changed.
This then leaves a further 8 cyl and three 6 cylinder machines to be done at leisure!

These machines are on a steel checker plate mezzanine floor with 3 screw air compressor packs below them.
Which is sited inside a warehouse next to the food production lines.

Oh! I almost forgot there is also steam lines running above the compressors.

Basically there is a lot of heat around.
Monday - @ 0800hrs +30c,
at 1600hrs +40c
I didn't bother monitoring after that but..
Wed- +35c
Today +31c so much better.

Basically after 8+ hrs in that heat you are knackered.

Only got another 2 to do next week!
thank God!
Hopefully the weather will turn.
I know a lot of guys that are from warmer climates will be smiling at this post.
But may I remind them that even the British Army allows it's troops to acclimatise when in temps we Brits are not used to.
I just wanted to see what other guys felt?
Cheers Grizzly

The Viking
13-06-2008, 05:28 PM
Grizzly,

You need one of THESE (http://www.coloradocoolwear.com/CoolVests.htm).

(No, I'm not joking. I got one and it's great, but mainly used when I'm on my bike)

Grizzly
13-06-2008, 09:02 PM
Grizzly,

You need one of THESE (http://www.coloradocoolwear.com/CoolVests.htm).

(No, I'm not joking. I got one and it's great, but mainly used when I'm on my bike)

Might just be worth investing in?
Does really mean I should get another bike first though.
Cheers for the thought anyways!
You sure have got some toys Viking!
Grizzly

Brian_UK
13-06-2008, 10:52 PM
Grizzly, I feel that you should at least be provided with a continuous water supply and frequent rest breaks.

To be honest in this day and age there should be provision in the pricing structure to include for spot cooling equipment to enable you to perform your tasks in some level of comfort.

Abe
14-06-2008, 11:16 PM
Here is some more:

WORKPLACE (HEALTH, SAFETY AND WELFARE) REGULATIONS 1992

7 Temperature in indoor workplaces

(1) During working hours, the temperature in all workplaces inside buildings shall be reasonable.

[(1A) Without prejudice to the generality of paragraph (1)—

(a) a workplace shall be adequately thermally insulated where it is necessary, having regard to the type of work carried out and the physical activity of the persons carrying out the work; and
(b) excessive effects of sunlight on temperature shall be avoided.]

(2) A method of heating or cooling shall not be used which results in the escape into a workplace of fumes, gas or vapour of such character and to such extent that they are likely to be injurious or offensive to any person.

(3) A sufficient number of thermometers shall be provided to enable persons at work to determine the temperature in any workplace inside a building.

[7.16]

Abe
14-06-2008, 11:19 PM
as regards ventilation:

6 Ventilation

(1) Effective and suitable provision shall be made to ensure that every enclosed workplace is ventilated by a sufficient quantity of fresh or purified air.

(2) Any plant used for the purpose of complying with paragraph (1) shall include an effective device to give visible or audible warning of any failure of the plant where necessary for reasons of health or safety.

Abe
14-06-2008, 11:20 PM
Water supply

22 Drinking water

(1) An adequate supply of wholesome drinking water shall be provided for all persons at work in the workplace.

(2) Every supply of drinking water required by paragraph (1) shall—

(a) be readily accessible at suitable places; and
(b) be conspicuously marked by an appropriate sign where necessary for reasons of health or safety.

(3) Where a supply of drinking water is required by paragraph (1), there shall also be provided a sufficient number of suitable cups or other drinking vessels unless the supply of drinking water is in a jet from which persons can drink easily.

US Iceman
14-06-2008, 11:56 PM
Here are some links to information and data that are applicable to this post.

http://www.oshcanada.com/oshanswers/phys_agents/hot_cold.html

http://www.risk-safety.admin.state.mn.us/heatstress.htm

http://www.pppl.gov/eshis/ESHD_MANUAL/safety/ihch11.pdf

I believe you will find some very specific working temperatures that are allowed for a given duration in these links. I think the info Abe provided is based on the legal aspects required by employers, however, in the links you should be able to find the exact requirements for personnel safety and health.

Hope that helps.;)

Peter_1
15-06-2008, 10:09 AM
There are also jackets available wit small channels in it where pressurized air is blown in, cooled by a vortex tube.
You only need compressed air, that's all.
Fireman used it and also the peoples who works in hot mines.