PDA

View Full Version : have all the supermarket eng gone to a/c

fowlie
12-06-2008, 10:54 PM
where have all the supermarket engineers gone we cannot get even a response for job adverts in the papers do engineers not want to do work for supermarkets anymore,is ac really that great.

surely this part of the trade isnt that bad

albionharley
12-06-2008, 11:51 PM
Bad enough that i got out of it 12 years ago :)

Have never regretted it for a single moment :)

The job itself was ok - But the general attitude of supermarket managers is appalling - in the end i got out before i killed someone :D
Good luck in your quest :)

chillin out
13-06-2008, 09:47 PM
Just for starters...

Pay better money.
Have better working strategies.
Negotiate a better 'oncall' systam with the shops. (Don't call at night unless it's urgent)

Chillin:):)

Grizzly
13-06-2008, 11:40 PM
Could the fact that several well known companies have "hired and fired" as they won and lost contracts.
You can only mess people about for a while until they get wise.

I have yet to meet an Engineer that would go back having left.

Sorry to be so rude but supermarket work has an awful reputation.
Grizzly

bernard
14-06-2008, 12:34 PM
Hi

Am I the only one who loves supermarkets,you won,t earn 50,000 on a/c.The only problem I have is finding more hours.

A/C sends me to sleep

Just my view

Regards Bernard

philfridge
14-06-2008, 02:24 PM
Because it is the worst area of our industry to work in basically. The low money and high hours ! :D and the stupid call out 24/7

Chunk
14-06-2008, 03:15 PM
Because it is the worst area of our industry to work in basically. The low money and high hours ! :D and the stupid call out 24/7

Yeah i hate it,but as Bernard says "where else are you going to earn lots of dosh".

Companies are getting the hint now,that if you want engineers you have to up the hourly rate.And its working.:D

chillin out
14-06-2008, 04:13 PM
Hi

Am I the only one who loves supermarkets,you won,t earn 50,000 on a/c.The only problem I have is finding more hours.

A/C sends me to sleep

Just my view

Regards Bernard
I love the work, you never know what to expect when you open a plant room door.
A/C also is a bit of a bore to me but it is now paying the bills so I just get on with it.

Chillin:):)

750 Valve
19-06-2008, 01:00 PM
Hi

A/C sends me to sleep

Just my view

Regards Bernard

I agree 100%

A/C is just TIN & WIND with a refrigeration system thrown in there somewhere

No fridgies here make more money than supermarket guys - some Industrial guys have a slightly higher hourly rate but make nowhere near the annual wage that the supermarket guys make. I was looking at leaving my company recently and even in the AC game we have as good if not better hourly rate - throw in the O/T and callout$ and you have a bloody good paypacket.

I find the guys that whinge about the supermarkets are lightweights anyway ;)
Just joking fellas

captincodeye
20-06-2008, 09:18 AM
I have noticed that a few people i know are also leaving the trade all together and becoming Sparkies!!!!

GreenFly
20-06-2008, 09:52 AM
I recently moved my career path from refrigeration design engineer to a A/c water chiller path and the technology involved in the A/c market is amazing. The Turbo core compressor is an amazing unit by its self, but plug in all the electronic controls and you have a class leading refrigeration / Air con. I have never come a cross a unit that does this in supermarket refrigeration.
:o

So sum this all up i belive that there is a lot more money in the Aircon game than the refrigeration game, especially due the the new laws phasing out of Ozone Depleting substances and in the E.U. that means there is alot of more units to be retrofitted.
Turbo core i belive ! ?;)

750 Valve
20-06-2008, 11:12 AM
I recently moved my career path from refrigeration design engineer to a A/c water chiller path and the technology involved in the A/c market is amazing. The Turbo core compressor is an amazing unit by its self, but plug in all the electronic controls and you have a class leading refrigeration / Air con. I have never come a cross a unit that does this in supermarket refrigeration.
:o

So sum this all up i belive that there is a lot more money in the Aircon game than the refrigeration game, especially due the the new laws phasing out of Ozone Depleting substances and in the E.U. that means there is alot of more units to be retrofitted.
Turbo core i belive ! ?;)

If they made a turbocore comp that could run on R404a then it may see some LT and MT action. As far as electronics go you must have been in some old rattlers of stores as most modern day supermarkets spend a truckload of cash on some pretty decent electronic controls. With the push on energy efficiency and natural refrigerants the supermarket game will be booming in Australia, one major is beginning to install quite a few R744 stores and its just the tip of the iceberg.

As far as cash goes - for a company - you betcha there is way more dollars in AC, the supermarket game is so cut throat but from a mechanic's point of view you can't make the same cash as a supermarket fridgey from being a fan mechanic

philfridge
20-06-2008, 04:11 PM
[quote=750 Valve;110529 from a mechanic's point of view you can't make the same cash as a supermarket fridgey from being a fan mechanic[/quote]

Eh a fan mechanic whats this then ? :eek:

750 Valve
21-06-2008, 08:12 AM
A fan mechanic is an Air Conditioning guy - at least its what a fridgey calls them as they only seem to work on fans and when they stumble across a refrigeration fault its usually funny to watch.