PDA

View Full Version : Maintowoc ice machine problem

jayshiv
12-06-2008, 09:39 PM
i have a Maintowoc ice machine model GYP204A
when i turn on the machine the water pump starts in 15 sec and then when the compressor trys to start but makes a click sound and does not start.. i had this problem a week ago and i called a service guy when he came here all he did is turn the fan with his hands n it started to work.
when i tryed to do that today it still dont start but the water pump runs.. its just the compressor does not kick on.
HELP plz..

richelli
12-06-2008, 11:33 PM
Not familiar with those ice machines.

Could the click noise be the compressors internal oveload breaking. Have you checked the comp start and run capacitors? If the fan wasnt running but started when he spun it does the fan have a start capacitor, if so it could be bad and the comp is over heating and going of on internal clixon?

Does the compressor feel very hot to touch if so, could be a starting issue. When the compressor runs does the condensor fan run too? although the fan could be on a head pressure control so may not start straight away. Really you need gauges and a test meter and to know what your doing! So many answers lol.

philfridge
13-06-2008, 01:16 PM
i have a Maintowoc ice machine model GYP204A
when i turn on the machine the water pump starts in 15 sec and then when the compressor trys to start but makes a click sound and does not start.. i had this problem a week ago and i called a service guy when he came here all he did is turn the fan with his hands n it started to work.
when i tryed to do that today it still dont start but the water pump runs.. its just the compressor does not kick on.
HELP plz..

Answers to the 3 questions

1) The compressor could be overheated and clicking out on overload.
2)The condenser fan motor could be seizing up.
3)The compressor will not run if seized or overheated

chemi-cool
13-06-2008, 07:17 PM
Compressor probably done his share in this world but....

to be on the safe side, take an insulated wire and bridge the clikson. if it dont start, replace it.

broon
22-06-2008, 11:25 PM
just rejoined this site after a while, however....
am unsure i would advise a member of the public to find and short out a compressor klixon. this could be pretty dangerous, especially as the person in question obviously has limited technical knowledge at best.

icecube51
23-06-2008, 01:22 PM
did you check the condensator(s)??

Ice

fridgey
24-06-2008, 12:27 PM
G-series Manitowoc, the machine is getting one a bit, (old) and has probably seen its best days. It's likely the condenser fan motor has failed and subsequently the compressor too due to overheating. I think it's time to buy a new ice-machine. I recommend Hoskizaki IM series, are a realiable and low maintenence, the Manitowoc S series also seems to be pretty good.;)

THOMAS PAYNE
05-07-2008, 11:31 PM
The click is the compressor overload opening due to high amperage on start up. I would replace the start and run capacitor, relay and overload. If this doesn't do the trick, replace the unit. It is antiquated and runs on R502 or HP81. It would make no economical sense to replace the compressor.