PDA

View Full Version : Using A Recovery Machine To Clean Pipes

Clivo
11-06-2008, 07:29 PM
Hi Everyone
I have a few wall split systems to replace that are on R22, they use pipework that is built in to the walls which I need to re-use, I have to replace the systems with R410a kit and would like to know the best way to clean the pipes before installing the new systems, I have a recovery machine and OFN kit, normaly I change the lines but in this instance that is not possible. Thanks in advance.
Clive :)

icecube51
11-06-2008, 07:38 PM
Yep, using a recovery machine is good,but look if it has the function of pumping liquid around the pipes.
not all machines do.

use the correct type of cleaning medium, its not the R22 thats the problem, its the oil from the compressors, and the new ones on R407c or R410a are very different than R22.

make sure the are clean - clean.:rolleyes:
Ice

Clivo
11-06-2008, 07:45 PM
Thanks Icecube51
any sugestions for the cleaning medium?

Regards
Clive

nike123
11-06-2008, 08:35 PM
Hi Everyone
I have a few wall split systems to replace that are on R22, they use pipework that is built in to the walls which I need to re-use, I have to replace the systems with R410a kit and would like to know the best way to clean the pipes before installing the new systems, I have a recovery machine and OFN kit, normaly I change the lines but in this instance that is not possible. Thanks in advance.
Clive :)

You should also check that pipe thickness is suitable for use with R410A.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3037/2570495343_8341ceb3c7_b_d.jpg

Lippygit
11-06-2008, 09:58 PM
Thanks Icecube51
any sugestions for the cleaning medium?

Regards
Clive
I have used endoflush flushing agent for cleaning systems after burnout. You would have to check if this would be suitable for your requirements. You would also need a suitable endoflush pump. It's expensive but if you have no other alternative then you have little choice.

Steve

icecube51
12-06-2008, 06:46 PM
there are many cleaning mediums available, just look for one that takes good care of oil and burnout residue.

have fun:cool:

Ice

Thermatech
12-06-2008, 07:17 PM
Some new split systems are designed to be used with old R22 interconnecting tubes & have a special filter to remove any contamination in the old tubes.
For instance Mitsubishi Mr Slim Power Inverter units incude this replace technology as standard.
You need to check that your pipe sizes & max pipe lenght are within limits.
Then at first start up one dip switch setting makes the unit run in clean up mode & pass all refrigerant through the replace filter for 2 hours test run.
After 2 hrs the unit shuts solenoid valve & any contamination is permanantly trapped & isolated from the system in the replace filter.
Then the system is available for normal operation.

Easy peasy japanesy

nike123
12-06-2008, 07:48 PM
Some new split systems are designed to be used with old R22 interconnecting tubes & have a special filter to remove any contamination in the old tubes.
For instance Mitsubishi Mr Slim Power Inverter units incude this replace technology as standard.
You need to check that your pipe sizes & max pipe lenght are within limits.
Then at first start up one dip switch setting makes the unit run in clean up mode & pass all refrigerant through the replace filter for 2 hours test run.
After 2 hrs the unit shuts solenoid valve & any contamination is permanantly trapped & isolated from the system in the replace filter.
Then the system is available for normal operation.

Easy peasy japanesy

I am not impressed with that solution.
You are first contaminating new, virgin system and then cleaning it. S h i t t y approach, by my standard!

Lippygit
12-06-2008, 08:13 PM
it's a ****ty approach by most of our standards , but hey when needs must and there are no other viable alternatives it's still an approach . shall we say a stagger in at least a somewhat forward direction :)

icecube51
13-06-2008, 01:19 PM
looks like a brand commercial to me, but hell, anything is for sale,as long as the find D****SS ho by it.:p

Ice

Clivo
13-06-2008, 04:03 PM
Have looked at the mitsi technology replace kit, I have to agree that it must be a compromise, think of all that crud first off racing round the brand new kit then sitting in the system !. I'll go down the cleaning route thanks.
Hard enough to get any sort of tech advise on the phone in Spain without trying to prove you removed all the oil and residue from some old pipes when you claim on a guarantee,

Thanks for everyones input.

Clive:cool:

GXMPLX
13-06-2008, 04:58 PM
First check pipe thikness verify if adequate for R410a, then do thorough pressure testing. You should use R141b for cleaning but you will never be sure! The only way to clean is circulating R410a for very long time and you must do this with the same equipment. Install Suction and/or extra liquid line filters sized so that pressure drop is within limits. Check these filter after reasonable time, replace and open and inspect the used filters if they are clean you are 98% sure the system is OK. Then eliminate the extra filters.

bernard
13-06-2008, 09:40 PM
Hi

I,ve used Endo flush for this problem,I pumped it through with a oil pump and kept on pumping it through until it came out clean then blew it through with ofn.Search older threads and you,ll find more answers as this has been covered before.

http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2464&highlight=endo+flush

Regards Bernard