PDA

View Full Version : Samsung SR-L3, error code "rd"

Rtic
11-06-2008, 04:51 PM
I got a customer who has a Samsung domestic fridge/freezer (SR-L3) not working at all. This is what occurs:

- You power up the Samsung
- Everything starts up as normal, the compressor, the readout, the light inside, everything seems fine
- After a couple of seconds, all of a sudden it stops, and the read out reads "rd".

I suppose all I really need to know is what "rd" stands for, I’ve rang Samsung, but the line has been engaged since 2:00am with an automated message "we're out to lunch, please leave a message or try later"!

Any ideas welcome

Thanks

nike123
11-06-2008, 05:00 PM
Try again, later!:D

Rtic
11-06-2008, 05:05 PM
Yeah!, but it’s 5 o'clock now, so they've gone home, still the same message though, "gone to lunch etc", a long lunch!, properly a phone system error. I just wondered if anyone could help me so I have a bit of information for tomorrow morning.

nike123
11-06-2008, 05:08 PM
Yeah!, but it’s 5 o'clock now, so they've gone home, still the same message though, "gone to lunch etc", a long lunch!, properly a phone system error. I just wondered if anyone could help me so I have a bit of information for tomorrow morning.

Try here:
http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk

Rtic
11-06-2008, 05:15 PM
I don't understand how that website will help me?

nike123
11-06-2008, 05:18 PM
I don't understand how that website will help me?
That site has forum who deal whit questions like yours.
http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/modules.php?name=Forums

Chunk
11-06-2008, 08:43 PM
I would say that "rd" is refrigerator defrost error whereas "fd" is freezer defrost error.

I could be wrong,but if you dont have any luck ringing Samsung back tomorrow,give Watchdog a call,they could make another episode out of lax customer service.

Rtic
11-06-2008, 09:02 PM
I would say that "rd" is refrigerator defrost error whereas "fd" is freezer defrost error.

I could be wrong,but if you dont have any luck ringing Samsung back tomorrow,give Watchdog a call,they could make another episode out of lax customer service.

Good call, I'll give watchdog a call tomorrow! The "rd" and refrigerator defrost could be right as well, in fact that an intelligent guess, thanks!

paul_h
12-06-2008, 01:39 PM
Rd is air damper iced up fault.
The damper in the freezer spins around to close/open the air from the freezer to the fridge.
It ices up from time to time, or the damper motor, or sensor that reads it's position fails.
Very common fault, there's a repair kit with a new sensor, damper and bigger heater that's needed to be fitted to nearly every RL33 fridge down here.
If that doesn't work, the damper motor it's self is failing.

The dampers used in these fridges aren't an open/close type flap, but a damper that endlessly spins around, hence needing a magnetic position sensor to tell if it's open or closed. The "Rd" fault means it's not spun to the position it should be in due to icing up or motor failure, or it can't detect it, due to sensor fault.

dardan
04-09-2010, 01:18 PM
I also have the same problem on my Samsung RL39WBMS.When I power up it works fine, after some seconds it stops and shows the rd error.I also checked the damper and it spins around,so I think the problem is to the magnetic sensor,but I don't know how to check the sensor.Maybe you can help me ??

344martin
05-09-2010, 06:40 PM
The magnets often drop off the motor shaft!! It's a little black thing about 2mmx5mm

dardan
06-09-2010, 02:31 PM
yeah I know where is the magnet.But I want to check magnet's sensor because I think the problem is to sensor,but here we don't have these sensors to put a new one so I must be sure if the fault is to sensor . thanks

paul_h
07-09-2010, 01:54 AM
Well I assume it's just a switch, so with be open or closed circuit in the presence of a magnet.

lekiti
16-09-2010, 08:57 PM
Rd is air damper iced up fault.
The damper in the freezer spins around to close/open the air from the freezer to the fridge.
It ices up from time to time, or the damper motor, or sensor that reads it's position fails.
Very common fault, there's a repair kit with a new sensor, damper and bigger heater that's needed to be fitted to nearly every RL33 fridge down here.
If that doesn't work, the damper motor it's self is failing.

The dampers used in these fridges aren't an open/close type flap, but a damper that endlessly spins around, hence needing a magnetic position sensor to tell if it's open or closed. The "Rd" fault means it's not spun to the position it should be in due to icing up or motor failure, or it can't detect it, due to sensor fault.

Paul Thanks for the information. I removed the the engine and glue the magnet back on the positioner an d the fridge is working fine again.

I don't understand why this message is not inside the manual of Samsung.

This cost me 1 tube of glue.

Thanks men!