PDA

View Full Version : Thermal storage system

Rajkumar
11-06-2008, 08:35 AM
Dear All,

Is there any benifit with Thermal storage system for airconditioning if the day and night electricity tariff are same?

regards

smpsmp45
11-06-2008, 12:31 PM
It can depend on many factors. In case you use ice bank tank system & get the water at say 4 deg c. you can reduce the air flows in the ducting & hence the ducting cists. Ashrae had a special issue on this aspect of LOW temp air supply sometime back. in India though it is not used yet. Ofocurse there are few other issues realted to that system especially on Humidiity
etc. But operators/ shifts etc could be issues which can be takced by ice bank tank system.

Rajkumar
11-06-2008, 12:34 PM
I had read that article, but i want to know how i can compare the thermal storage system and conventional system

smpsmp45
11-06-2008, 12:47 PM
It has to be essentially on few aspects. Important is financial aspect. other is man power requirements, Load distribution in case during part load conditions ice bank tank can be run to store the energy. The offset time for overall system working etc. It has to be done on a specific case as one can not draw conclusion only by theory. in one of the cases, the day time load was mainly freezers etc which were run only in hte day shifts. Due to connected load issue, the ice bank tank system was switched on in the nights when the freezers were not operational. That cold water was used for process as well as ac application in the day. The extra electrical load to run the ac & freezers in the day, was simply not available

Rajkumar
11-06-2008, 01:01 PM
my question was for ac of building or shopping mall? not for supermarkets?

US Iceman
11-06-2008, 01:34 PM
Is there any benefit with Thermal storage system for air conditioning if the day and night electricity tariff are same?

I think you have to look at the building load profile. During the daytime there are usually considerably more Ton-Hours require than during the evening. If you can shift some of this building load (via thermal storage) to the night time period you might be able to downsize some of the refrigeration capacity. This may become more beneficial also if you run a 168 hour time cycle, instead of only using a 24 hour period.

It all depends on building loads and when occupancy occurs.

The other benefit smpsmp45 was alluding to is also the reduction in pipe sizing for the water. If you can ice water temperatures you might be able to operate with a higher temperature difference, which reduces the flow rate required (for the same capacity).

Rajkumar
12-06-2008, 06:49 AM
Thanks Iceman,

Can u work out the same for the same i am attaching herewith the load.

Rajkumar
12-06-2008, 07:53 AM
Which method is good
1. Ammonia as refrigerant
2. Brine as secondary refrigerant as EVAPCO.

US Iceman
12-06-2008, 03:15 PM
Can u work out the same for the same i am attaching herewith the load.

That is starting to go beyond the possibility of free advice on a public forum. Sorry. If you are wanting to pay for consulting advice and want a local person I would suggest you contact smpsmp45.

I would however suggest you look at ammonia as the refrigerant directly in the ice builder, instead of using a brine. Evapco can make both types. The direct ammonia system is more efficient and uses less energy than the brine variety.

smpsmp45
13-06-2008, 06:05 AM
I agree with US iceman. The forum is meant to share the issues & sort out typical problems which might have been faced by others. Givein general guidelines is fine enough though.

Rajkumar
13-06-2008, 06:10 AM
Dear smpsmp45

Can u send your details at rkg13@rediffmail.com for contact further