PDA

View Full Version : CPS Manifold gauge ports

JD-SMART-REPAIR
10-06-2008, 10:49 PM
Hi all. I have only recently completed my air conditioning course so please go easy on me.lol.
During the course we were taught how to use a standard manifold gauge which seemed quite straight forward. I already had my equipment before the course and now having attempted to try it i have got stuck. Could someone explain why I have so many connction ports underneath my manifold and which one do I connect to for the vacuum, recovery and recharge. I am using the cps vacuum pump and gauge in one frame (pump is connected straight to manifold side frame). The manifold is the CPS M5m (triple gauge). Can be viewed at cpsproducts.com . Sorry but I am unable to add a link as I have under 15 posts to my name. Thanks. Hope you can help...

richelli
10-06-2008, 11:35 PM
If your really are just starting out, I would put those in the back of a cupboard and buy a standard 3 port set. They are far to complicated for a newbie like yourself and really you will just get even more confused. Once you have mastered a simple set you can then use those. Honestly they are over complicated for a beginner.

Brian_UK
10-06-2008, 11:52 PM
-- R T F M --

Pooh
11-06-2008, 12:03 AM
I would leave them in the van and ring somebody who nows what they are doing to sort the problem and also ask for my money back for the course as obviously you have not learned what you should have.

Sorry to sound rude but you are at risk of seriously hurting yourself or somebody else if you continue.

Ian

JD-SMART-REPAIR
11-06-2008, 10:53 AM
Brian_uk has obviously got an attitude problem and needs to have a good chat with himself before someone else does. Brian Brian Brian, I obviously do not have the manual. Switch on and dont bother replying unless its usefull to me.
Richelli. Thanks for the honest advice, very much appreciated. Thank-god there are some people on this site who can string few words together without P*****G people off.
Pooh. Thanks for the advice but do you think Lewis Hamilton can get into any car and know where every button is. I do not need to ask for my money back for the course as I am more than confident in my own abilities using refrigerant. I cant speak for yourself as you must have the same problem as myself. You cretainly didn't rush to answer the question.
IF ANYBODY HAS SOME PATIENT GENUINE ADVICE ON HOW TO USE, IT WOULD BE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED AS I WOULD PREFER NOT TO PUT GOOD WORKING EXPENSIVE EQUIPMENT IN THE BACK OF THE CUPBOARD. THANKS.

Brian_UK
11-06-2008, 11:22 PM
OK JD, we've beaten you up and you're still standing.

http://www.cpsproducts.com/site/elements/download/M5M.jpg
Starting on the left as no 1.
1. Blue LP hose to connect to suction line, controlled via left hand LO knob.
2. Possible yellow charging hose, controlled via LO knob on front.
3. Vacuum hose
4. Red HP hose connect to high side, controlled via HI knob on front.

To be honest I'm not sure about the VAC side. It could be that the vac hose has to connect between the VAC side and the four hose end.

Work on the four on the left for a while until you're happy with the way it works.

It might be worth while emailing CPS and getting a layout scheme for the connectors and controls just to double check it.

frank
12-06-2008, 08:21 PM

3. Vacuum hose

To be honest I'm not sure about the VAC side. It could be that the vac hose has to connect between the VAC side and the four hose end.

Work on the four on the left for a while until you're happy with the way it works.

It might be worth while emailing CPS and getting a layout scheme for the connectors and controls just to double check it.
Looking at the high side maximum pressure gauge, this set is not suitable for R410a, as it only goes up to 500psig.

I'm also concerned that someone who has just completed an air conditioning course cannot fathom out how to use a set of gauges, where the only difference from a normal 2 gauge set is the addition of a vacuum gauge???

JD - no dis-respect, but was the course just an introduction to AC or did you undertake any practical exams? Are you now qualified to NVQ/RVQ levels??

JD-SMART-REPAIR
12-06-2008, 08:21 PM
I'm still standing.lol. Thanks for the advice. Very much apprecaited. I have contacted CPS via E-Mail but not had a response yet. Does'nt help that they are not based in this country. I'm sure i'll get there. Thanks again, Jon.

Brian_UK
12-06-2008, 11:34 PM
As Frank said and having checked the CPS spec on these gauges they are only designed for gases such as R12, R22 and R507.

Do NOT use them on R410a.

JD-SMART-REPAIR
13-06-2008, 12:02 AM
The course I underwent was the City and Guilds 6048 automotive air conditioning and the CITB Safe handling of refrigerants. I have no plans in going to in depth with this as it is only a sideline job with my smart repair business. I will have one more attempt in contacting CPS. If I dont get a response I will invest in equipment I am confident in using. Thanks everyone for the advice but if you guys are not 100% in how to use the manifold after all these years dealing with refrigerant, I think that is a good enough reason to start with something less complicated. Thanks again. I will let you know how I get off.

albionharley
13-06-2008, 12:12 AM
Thanks everyone for the advice but if you guys are not 100% in how to use the manifold after all these years dealing with refrigerant, I think that is a good enough reason to start with something less complicated

Nice retort :D

kiwireeferman
13-06-2008, 12:52 PM

3. Vacuum hose

I believe the front handwheel isolates the 3/8 vacuum port below (with the green cover) and the end handwheel isolates the vacuum gauge from the system.

Brian_UK
13-06-2008, 11:09 PM
I believe the front handwheel isolates the 3/8 vacuum port below (with the green cover) and the end handwheel isolates the vacuum gauge from the system.
Cheers, thanks for that..

HVACGod
14-06-2008, 02:45 PM
Anyone - anyone that has supposedly just completed a trade school and still not know manifold port orientation is a ludicrous proposition. Assuming you're not trying to jerk everyone's chain with this post, you have no business owning the set, much less asking how to attach them.

Better bet would be you're an equipment owner trying to hack in a charge to save a buck. The manifold gauge is the single most critical instrument the HVAC/R technician applies - to indicate you have completed training without being intimately acquainted with them - irrespective of the manifold configuration is either an outright lie or a very sad commentary on both the institution that graduated you and the educator they employee. I feel dumber just from reading this thread. Little too transparent IMO.

richelli
14-06-2008, 04:02 PM
From what the OP has said so far I gather his company Smart Repair would be involved with automotive repairs. Stone chips, dents etc. He may even own a garage. By the course he has said for car ac's, I would guess he is more interested in fixing cars air cons than anything else. I know he thinks some are being funny with him, but basically that gauge is way to complicated and he has basically just bought a manifold which is to advanced for what he really needs. I have never used one like that and wouldnt see any need to for what I work on. I dont think he would ever see 410a on what he would be working on if cars is all he is doing. I maybe wrong but I think a little more explanation on his be half would have helped his case some more. We are all here to help but we do value peoples safety at the same time, whether it be the person holding the gauges or the public around them!

JD-SMART-REPAIR
14-06-2008, 07:14 PM
No offence HVACGod, but you sound like the most boring person I have ever come across in my entire lifetime. If you read the previous post's I did explain that I was not interested in comments that were not beneficial to me. Thanks for boring to death, but I have better thing to do. Dont bother replying, its just a waste time in such a precious life.
Richelli. Thanks for the advice, but you seem so concerned about safety and not able or willing to offer advice which would prevent any dangers.
Thankyou all for the advice regarding the instructions on how to use the Manifold, but I know have the correct operarting prodedures. I hate to break it to you but not one single person was correct with their guess on how to use the manifold. I may have been criticised for asking such a question, but I have very little experience. I would seriously recommend some of you re-train as you obviously do not have the knowledge I would expect from people who have been carrying out this trade for many many years.
Thats all I have to say, but next time I require advice I will certainly not be loking here for it. Sorry for sounding to mean and impatient but this has gone to far with such pathetic and boring comments. Thanks to all the honest advice though from some of you.

philfridge
14-06-2008, 08:04 PM
I hate to break it to you but not one single person was correct with their guess on how to use the manifold.
Thats all I have to say, but next time I require advice I will certainly not be loking here for it.

:D That told you lot :p:p wheres he gonna go for advice back to college

albionharley
14-06-2008, 08:26 PM
If i was him i'd stick to washing cars :D

Although once he's washed and polished he could top up the A/C and perhaps carry out a 10,000 mile service :)

I wonder if he knows anything about old Harley's -- spent all afternoon on mine and it still wont run ;)

richelli
14-06-2008, 08:31 PM
The reason no ones knew about those gauges is because no one on here would use them! There over complicated and to large to be usefull.

I am only concerned about your safety because accidents happen to easily to those who dont know the refigeration trade and try to dabble. At least you now know how to to use them yourself, but slagging off the people on her who replied will get you knowhere.

We get to many people on her who just post questions so they can fix it themselves. Thats ok if they do fix it but if someone gets killed we dont get any thanks.

Good luck with your repairs anyway.

JD-SMART-REPAIR
14-06-2008, 08:45 PM
I dont do harleys ALBIONHARLEY. They are bikes for the men who cant handle superbikes and are suffering a mid life crisis. As for washing cars, you should look up the skills I carry out in smart repair. A damn sight more Skillfull than refrigeration.Good luck with fixing the Harley, you should have purchased a more reliable bike.:p
Richelli. Thanks for the advice and its nice to know you have safety in mind. I also have safety in mind and I would never attempt anything which would put myself ar anybody else in danger. I know the gauges are large but they are fixed to a frame which is attached to a vacuum pump. Thanks again.

albionharley
14-06-2008, 10:13 PM
Ooops looks like i've upset him now :D

Brian_UK
14-06-2008, 10:56 PM
I feel an infraction coming on...

taz24
14-06-2008, 11:03 PM
Hi all. I have only recently completed my air conditioning course so please go easy on me.lol.
During the course we were taught how to use a standard manifold gauge which seemed quite straight forward. I already had my equipment before the course and now having attempted to try it i have got stuck. Could someone explain why I have so many connction ports underneath my manifold and which one do I connect to for the vacuum, recovery and recharge. I am using the cps vacuum pump and gauge in one frame (pump is connected straight to manifold side frame). The manifold is the CPS M5m (triple gauge). Can be viewed at cpsproducts.com . Sorry but I am unable to add a link as I have under 15 posts to my name. Thanks. Hope you can help...

You have paid your money and done your 1 day - 2 day, 1 week -2 week course so you know all the answers.
You do not need our help so why don't you sort it out your self, or why don't you go back to the training centre you qualified at and pay them to teach you how to use them.

YOU ARE A LIABILITY AND SHOULD NOT BE LET LOOSE WITH REFRIGERANTS.

Change your attitude and listen to people who have been doing this for longer than you have be born.
If you change your attitude and listen you may learn somthing.

taz.

HVACGod
14-06-2008, 11:14 PM
If you read the previous post's I did explain that I was not interested in comments that were not beneficial to me.

It would seem you also are not interested in comments that do not fit the answer you wanted to hear - I stand by what I said to begin with, anyone that is active in the field, and immediately following completion of a training program - MAC or otherwise that has to go online to ask how to properly apply a manifold gauge - irrespective of configuration, doesn't have any business owning them. Can you say H_A_C_K?

HVACGod
14-06-2008, 11:15 PM
YOU ARE A LIABILITY AND SHOULD NOT BE LET LOOSE WITH REFRIGERANTS.

Precisely. Thank you.

JD-SMART-REPAIR
15-06-2008, 01:20 AM
You want to hear yourself. If I ever end up like this I will shoot myself. A miserable old sad man who spends his time on the refrigeration site because he has nothing better to do with his time.

HVACGod
15-06-2008, 03:01 AM
:D Yep, you got me - hangin' out here is all I have to do. My portion of this "discussion" is closed - You have successfully validated the theory that stupid cannot be fixed.

frank
15-06-2008, 06:55 PM
OK Guys.

I think we've got to the stage where we now know that JD has finally found his instructions on how to use the gauges, and all without our help. ;)

I'm going to close the thread now before a slanging match ensues :D