PDA

View Full Version : Long shot...!

ChrisPriest
09-06-2008, 03:09 PM
Hi All,

First of all, I must point out I am not an installer, I work for my company as an IT administrator.

I've been asked to look into our failed air-con system in the vain hope? that I might be able to do something about it. This I find unlikely, but I'll tell you what I know and hope someone might be able to point me in the right direction.

I'm OK with 3ph and electricity so can perform most checks.

We have a split system installed, Mitsubishi Heavy, outdoor units are FDC2501 with a mixture of FDT251/631/501 indoor units.

All the control units are showing E3 on the display, and an indication of the outdoor unit.

The green LED is flashing on the indoor unit and also on the outdoor unit, the contactor kicks in OK, but there is no cooling.

The indoor units are running, at least the fans are turning and room temp air is coming from it.

Can't hear the compressor running in the outdoor unit (not the one I am looking at at the moment anyway) We have 5 outdoor units, all split systems feeding multiple indoor units.

I've heard stories of the inverter boards failing or the power transistors blowing perhaps due to a siezed compressor, but at present, I don't quite know where to look.

I suspect it's well out of my league, but the co is refusing to pay to have it repaired by a pro air-con company.

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this.

Feel free to tell me to leave well alone! :)

Many thanks
Chris

The Viking
09-06-2008, 05:44 PM
Leave it well alone!

Here in UK you need to be certified to handle refrigerant, so you will not be able to check the pressures for us.

There are checks that can be carried out on the electrical side of inverters and compressors. But as these tests has the potential to kill you if not carried out correctly, I doubt anybody will offer to tell you how to carry them out on a online forum like this.

Sorry.

Brian_UK
09-06-2008, 08:13 PM
As the Viking says, leave it well alone.

Simply tell your misguided manager that you are not qualified according to current legislation to investigate the problem and also that Health and Safety Regulations may be breached.

Also remember that if it goes wrong and anyone gets hurt, including you, then your manager will deny all knowledge of his involvement.

As "fridgys" we would pose a question to you - "If the main server goes down will he get the office cleaner to fix it to save money?"

Grizzly
10-06-2008, 11:14 AM
Hi All,

First of all, I must point out I am not an installer, I work for my company as an IT administrator.

I've been asked to look into our failed air-con system in the vain hope? that I might be able to do something about it. This I find unlikely, but I'll tell you what I know and hope someone might be able to point me in the right direction.

I'm OK with 3ph and electricity so can perform most checks.

We have a split system installed, Mitsubishi Heavy, outdoor units are FDC2501 with a mixture of FDT251/631/501 indoor units.

All the control units are showing E3 on the display, and an indication of the outdoor unit.

The green LED is flashing on the indoor unit and also on the outdoor unit, the contactor kicks in OK, but there is no cooling.

The indoor units are running, at least the fans are turning and room temp air is coming from it.

Can't hear the compressor running in the outdoor unit (not the one I am looking at at the moment anyway) We have 5 outdoor units, all split systems feeding multiple indoor units.

I've heard stories of the inverter boards failing or the power transistors blowing perhaps due to a siezed compressor, but at present, I don't quite know where to look.

I suspect it's well out of my league, but the co is refusing to pay to have it repaired by a pro air-con company.

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this.

Feel free to tell me to leave well alone! :)

Many thanks
Chris

Chris, I agree with all of the above.
But I would like to say thank you for being honest in the first place.
Quite often new posters ask for assistance forgetting to admit that they are not "fridgies".
So apologies for not being able to help but for the reasons stated above. Ours is now a regulated industry (similar to Corgi, yet still in it's infancy).
Not before time I may add!
Cheers Grizzly