PDA

View Full Version : Carrier comps

get the gauges
08-06-2008, 12:39 PM
I have been working on a few old carrier comp of late for the first time,the application being DX aircon coils. Now i have come across these hex nuts on the rear that adjust the capacity by unloading has anyone seen them and has anyone got info or tips to share. Thanks

albionharley
08-06-2008, 03:36 PM
Hi - this will take you to the home page from where you can download the "pocket service guide" http://www.carlylecompressor.com/corp/details/0,2938,CLI1_DIV24_ETI1223,00.html

Also if you go to "literature" you should find all the info you need :)

get the gauges
08-06-2008, 05:20 PM
Thanks i'll give that look.

Grizzly
08-06-2008, 08:30 PM
Hi - this will take you to the home page from where you can download the "pocket service guide" http://www.carlylecompressor.com/corp/details/0,2938,CLI1_DIV24_ETI1223,00.html

Also if you go to "literature" you should find all the info you need :)

Nice link A.H.
Thanks Grizzlyhttp://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

Brian_UK
08-06-2008, 08:41 PM
Nice link A.H.
Thanks Grizzlyhttp://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gifHear, hear.

Thanks

albionharley
08-06-2008, 09:00 PM
My pleasure :)

I thought it may be helpful to others, so started a new thread for all to see.

It looks like I've upset icecube51 in the process - although not sure how or why.

Brian_UK
08-06-2008, 11:08 PM
It looks like I've upset icecube51 in the process - although not sure how or why.Don't worry about him, (if you were that is :) ) it's a good plan and a good link.

chillin out
08-06-2008, 11:14 PM
My pleasure :)

I thought it may be helpful to others, so started a new thread for all to see.

It looks like I've upset icecube51 in the process - although not sure how or why.
I don't think icecube51 was directing his comment at you but rather the forum itself.
He has an idea (quite a good one) that we document and store as much info about refrigeration as possible.

Chillin:):)

Brian_UK
08-06-2008, 11:42 PM
He has an idea (quite a good one) that we document and store as much info about refrigeration as possible.

Chillin:):)A subject that has been raised by others who have dropped off the scene sometimes.

albionharley
08-06-2008, 11:57 PM
Just my opinion- but isn't that what the "search" option is for ??

Argus
09-06-2008, 09:25 AM
I have been working on a few old carrier comp of late for the first time,the application being DX aircon coils. Now i have come across these hex nuts on the rear that adjust the capacity by unloading has anyone seen them and has anyone got info or tips to share. Thanks

If the compressor has a domed nut on the oil-pump end (shaped like a bowler hat) it sounds like an open drive 05 series. The 06 series were semi hermetic and the unloading was gas pressure-pressure powered as opposed to hydraulic powered from the oil pump.

If it is an open drive 05, it's a different set up entirely; have a look at this alternative page:

http://www.carlylecompressor.com/corp/details/0,,CLI1_DIV24_ETI1251,00.html

Those compressors have been around for more than 50 years and originally they were supplied with two springs about 1.25" in length, one fitted under the nut and one loose in a pack, for R12 and R22 respectively. You selected the one you needed at site. The springs fitted below the bowler-hat nut according to the refrigerant in use and the unloading range was adjusted with the spindle located there.

In these days of HFCs, I'm not sure what springs are supplied, but it's crucial the get the right spring in place because it is optimised to the suction pressure. Plus the motor rotation in the direction of the arrow otherwise the unloading won't work.

The 06 series oil pumps were omni-directional and where cylinder unloading was adjustable, (i.e. gas pressure-operated, instead of electrically with solenoid valves), it was done with a large brass hex nut on the cylinder head.

get the gauges
09-06-2008, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the info what would we do without all you old codgers . I have in the past been wary of asking questions that show gaps in my knowledge but i've come to the conclusion that it's in everyone best interest to ask about anything they are unsure about , as that is the only way to get it in the search facility and my question has proved that by the interest shown by members above. Thanks AH

get the gauges
09-06-2008, 08:43 PM
Those compressors have been around for more than 50 years and originally they were supplied with two springs about 1.25" in length, one fitted under the nut and one loose in a pack, for R12 and R22 respectively. You selected the one you needed at site. The springs fitted below the bowler-hat nut according to the refrigerant in use and the unloading range was adjusted with the spindle located there.

In these days of HFCs, I'm not sure what springs are supplied, but it's crucial the get the right spring in place because it is optimised to the suction pressure. Plus the motor rotation in the direction of the arrow otherwise the unloading won't work.

The 06 series oil pumps were omni-directional and where cylinder unloading was adjustable, (i.e. gas pressure-operated, instead of electrically with solenoid valves), it was done with a large brass hex nut on the cylinder head.

Thanks for the info Argus, the kit i'm on is getting on a bit and is mainly open drive with a domed nut on the rear pump casing sometimes i come across the external oil valve assembly. It's all stuff i've got to get to grips with. This unloading is important as this fridge plant needs to run when there is hardly any load and so far the hot gas bypass set ups i've seen here don't keep the back pressure very high.