PDA

View Full Version : terry compressor

paul pursehouse
08-06-2008, 02:21 AM
yesterday I installed a rebuild terry PJS compressor on a multiple evaporator system in a local hotel.The system serves 2 medium temp under counter fridges, a keg room and a glycol chiller,running on R134a refrigerant.The pipe run is 35 to 40m 7/8 suction line 1/2 inch discharge.The previous compressor had done a shaft seal and lost all the refrigerant.
After doing the change over and evacuating the system for 48hrs I began to recharge the system (vapour charging)with R134a,I started the compressor once there was enough refrigerant in it to prevent the LP operating. The compressor ran for probabley 10 - 20 mins and every now and then the shaft would squeal for a short time and a knock or 2 could be heard in the compressor.The compressor crankcase was also very hot especialy at the face plate around the shaft seal.
The 3 drive belts are not overtight with about 1/2 inch deflection.
I also notice the oil in the sight glass at stand still is over full but at the right level when running .
The system is not fully charged,sight glass not full.High side 100 lb,suction pressure 15 - 20 lb.
Do I have a faulty compressor,ie binding on the shaft seal? or a crook oil separator returning too much oil to the suction side.any advice would be appreciated.
thanks Paul

taz24
08-06-2008, 11:24 AM
The compressor ran for probabley 10 - 20 mins and every now and then the shaft would squeal for a short time and a knock or 2 could be heard in the compressor.The compressor crankcase was also very hot especialy at the face plate around the shaft seal.
The 3 drive belts are not overtight with about 1/2 inch deflection..any advice would be appreciated.
thanks Paul

Somthing very serious is wrong with that comp.
Somthing like the main front bearing or one of the con rod big end bearings.

Do not run it. Get it tested. If it is a rebuild then it should have a warrenty.

Cheers taz.

T82
08-06-2008, 12:18 PM
Paul I would check that belt tension again but I think the problem is due to one of the following:

You have a oil sep with a stuffed float and you are getting back continual hot discharge into the sump which will play havoc with the bearing to shaft clearance. A quick efficency check or just grabbing the oil return will tell you if thats happening.

You also may have to much oil in the compressor (system) which will show up the same symtoms as noted above. No oil sep is 100% and because it had a shaft seal leak it probably short cycled for a while and threw most of the oil from the old compresor out into the system which has now been washed back.

I would drop the oil in the compressor to just below 1/2 sight glass and run the system for 10 min and watch the oil level and signs of a faulty oil sep float.

That Cycol sytem couldn't be running real well connected into that system:eek:
counrty Pubs:D
Let us know how it goes.