PDA

View Full Version : Oil Regulator Failures

icv7
05-06-2008, 06:07 PM
Hi,

Can anyone shed some light on a problem I seem to have, that is ESK high pressure oil reg failure.
I have a few packs using Bitzer recip comps and oils seperators but recently i have had to change the oil regulators after a week of operation. The original one s operated for + 6 months before they failed.

Any help would be appreciated, oh one other thing is I am In Saudi Arabia with operating conditions of 55C condensing with R22 as the refrigerant.

Chunk
05-06-2008, 06:30 PM
Hello

Are they not letting oil into compressor?

Or are they jammed open and passing too much pressure into sump?

What i have done when they are blocked is,remove the regulator and rattle it to make sure the float is free,then turn it upside down and force fresh oil through oil entry port with oil pump.

If you are getting debris into it,it might be worth installing an oil strainer just before regulators on each compressor.

icv7
05-06-2008, 07:32 PM
Hi there Chunk,

We have strainers, the problem is that there seems to be no oil entering the compressor hence the tripping on the oil pressure switch.

Chunk
05-06-2008, 07:38 PM
Hi there Chunk,

We have strainers, the problem is that there seems to be no oil entering the compressor hence the tripping on the oil pressure switch.

Do you have a level in the regulators?

If you have,try what i suggested.Its a bugger when they are not servicable.

Billy Ray
05-06-2008, 07:43 PM
icv7,

I have had problems with these not letting oil through because of --

1. Bocked needle valve - this can been cleaned as Chunk advised. Note. i prefer a 3/8 drier rather than a strainer as this filters better, although if you have a dirty system it will require changing more often.

2. Split float.

3. Or it could be a blocked oil separator, not allowing oil into the oil resevoir...

or a faulty oil differential valve not providing 20 psi (1.5 Bar) oil pressire differential above suction pressure. This will be found on top of the oil resevoir.

Its not always the regulator that is the problem!

Billy Ray

p.s 55 deg condensing.., thats sun bathing weather...

albionharley
05-06-2008, 08:11 PM
Hi- tend to agree with Billy Ray - if you've got oil in the resevoir then check the diff valve. How hot is the res ?

icv7
06-06-2008, 07:13 AM
thanks i will check the temp and diff valve on the res and let you know

fowlie
06-06-2008, 11:07 PM
just a quick question do you have the correct adaptor for the reg to comp as bitzers need as special adaptor to stop foaming/not getting in.its ushally a half moon shape that goes into the comp body.

albionharley
07-06-2008, 12:00 AM
Hi - fowlie you are quite correct in that there can be an issue with the half moon "spout " on the oil reg ,but as far as i can remember the problem is this - if the reg is fitted to the compressor via an adaptor then the regulator can "gas lock" and basically what happens is that the comp will overfill with oil whilst the reg will have no visible level and appear empty. This will obviously drain the oil reservoir and then hot gas is passed from the res into the crankcase causing the comp to overheat. If the comp is turned off you will then after a period of time see the level rise in the oil reg sight glass. The solution is to drill a small hole in the spout to allow the pressure in the crankcase and oil reg to equalise and infact i think all new regs come with the hole as standard. I have some tech info on this subject at work and i can scan it and post it on the forum if anyone is interested. I doubt that this is the problem in icv7's case as his comps are short of oil and tripping on the oil switch. Hope this makes sense but it's late and i've had a nice evening in with a few stella's !!!

Checking this morning it would appear that it can also be the opposite ie crankcase empty but regulator showing a good level. Sorry for any confusion ! Have attempted to post the info but the file size is too big - i'll have a look to see if there is away to do it.

abet_meneses
15-06-2008, 03:16 PM
icv7,
some basic check:
1.check oil separator,oil level should be seen.
2.check oil filters.mesure in and out .if clogged replaced.
3.oil expansion valve,should be 45 to 60 psi above crankase pressure.
4.oil lines and oil regulator strainer.
5.if the above item is ok,then adjust regulator.follow mnufacturer advice in adjusting.

protect
19-06-2008, 07:38 PM
About what kind of oil regulator we are talking? Can you may be post the brand name?

Chunk
19-06-2008, 08:33 PM
About what kind of oil regulator we are talking? Can you may be post the brand name?

He did * E S K*