PDA

View Full Version : Those damn condensate pumps

R1976
04-06-2008, 10:16 PM
Hi air con fans,

I may have to fit a sump pump to a wall mount and have great difficulty putting a pump line to outside, due to scaffold limitations and open plan situations.

Is it possible to link a short pump line into a pump line from an existing unit.

I have never done this before but believe its possible by using a "y" connector and a couple of non return valves.

What do you think?

Brian_UK
04-06-2008, 10:32 PM
It is possible but there is the chance of problems.

The best and easiest way is to simply run the discharge from one pump into the sump of the other pump.

The Viking
04-06-2008, 10:45 PM
The best and easiest way is to simply run the discharge from one pump into the sump of the other pump.
:rolleyes::eek::rolleyes:

Sorry Brian,
This must be the first time ever I disagreed with you.

Seen too many of those "solutions" flooding to recommend that under any circumstances.

Sorry.

Brian_UK
04-06-2008, 11:21 PM
:rolleyes::eek::rolleyes:

Sorry Brian,
This must be the first time ever I disagreed with you.

Seen too many of those "solutions" flooding to recommend that under any circumstances.

Sorry.Hey, don't apologise.

If you get the pump/tank sizing correct it can work but it is definitely not ideal.

freezy
04-06-2008, 11:36 PM
The pumps fails through dirt,etc and overflows:eek:.

Each pump's high float sensor should be wired into its respective unit.

Surely the only problem with the "y" hose configuration would be a slighty longer run time if they both pumped at the same time?

Brian_UK
04-06-2008, 11:46 PM
The pumps fails through dirt,etc and overflows:eek:.I think that sump pumps are normally pretty reliable as long as they are maintained correctly, as they should be.

Larry2
05-06-2008, 01:19 AM
I would run separate outlet tubing for each pump. You wouldn't want debris, dirt or mold to cause one to pump backwards through your Y connector and flood the other system.

I have a condensate pump I am replacing. I tested it a few weeks ago and it couldn't pump 3" of head. It has mold, debris and insects in the check valve. The valve can't be opened up. I cleaned it as best I could and it pumped great. A few more cycles and it was stuck again. If that check valve fails and it's sharing outlet tube with another pump, guess where the water will end up.

Hook the overflow switch to each system, no exceptions. Condensate can do a lot of damage to a building. A condensate leak can go without notice until mold is firmly established. Mold depreciates a buildings value, even when solved. This is not a place to save pennies.

icecube51
06-06-2008, 04:00 PM
dont now witch pumps youre using, but for airco's i mount the aspen mini canal,works great.no need for floter contact, everything is build in one.
never had complaines or broken pumps for the last 3 years.

Ice

sinewave
06-06-2008, 04:14 PM
never had complaines or broken pumps for the last 3 years.

Ice

Have they been switched on yet? :p

icecube51
08-06-2008, 01:41 PM
i recup the water for the rechargeable batteries in the remote controls:p
LOL

Ice

chillin out
08-06-2008, 08:47 PM
I think that sump pumps are normally pretty reliable as long as they are maintained correctly, as they should be.
But where do they get the power from?
Every a/c pump I have seen get it's power from the unit it is draining.Switch it off and the other pump will continue to pump into it causing a flood.

I would fit a "mini lime" and try to drain it into a sink drain or something. You can run that wee pipe just about anywhere.

Chillin:):)