PDA

View Full Version : Have they any knowledge?

leegally1983
04-06-2008, 08:55 PM
A few days ago i was with a install team, i was putting in the mains and commisioning. On the test run one daikin unit would not run just sat there without any faults which was strange but at the same time the project manager turned up and decided he was going to diagnose the unit. His first input was we had to re pressure test the unit, when the unit had 200psi standing and had only just been charged, so i disagreed with him so he got on the ladders felt the flare nut and said its leaking because it was a little wet, this could be anything. next he said i think we need to change the fan motor, WHY? GOD ONLY KNOWS. Then he topped it off by saying to me what is the back pressure? how can i tell that when it aint running.Tell me is there any more clowns like this around.

philfridge
04-06-2008, 10:03 PM
Definition of a project manager

A nob

wambat
04-06-2008, 11:34 PM
Don't say anything, just do as he says and let the results speak for themselves!

Brian_UK
04-06-2008, 11:38 PM
Let me add on to that comment...

Do what he says but get it in writing first.

You'll find that he won't ask you to do anything then.

wambat
04-06-2008, 11:43 PM
Excellent thought!

750 Valve
05-06-2008, 01:35 PM
Tell me is there any more clowns like this around.

yep, the trade is full of them - they are good value, you just have to learn to laugh it off

Ohm&Hammer
20-07-2008, 02:53 AM
You're in England? I thought only us Yanks had idiot project managers like that! :)

In my younger days, and in a different field, we had a complcated piece of machinery fail. After a morning of headscratching and poking, I had worked backwards enough through the system to identify a timer that was failing. The timer had failed because the grease in the clock motor had hardened over the years and caused it to overheat, cooking the insulation of the windings.

Well the problem was the part cost a little bit of money, so to save a handful of dollars the manager asked me to clean and re-lubricate the motor and reassemble it, then put it all back together. Now realize we are looking at 3 or so hours of disassembly and an equal amount for reassembly over a $30 part that is already letting the smoke out, it's kinda a false economy. Anyway, I pointed this out and got the reassurance that I'd still be paid if it needed to be re-done. So back everything went and sure enough by the next morning it had failed, so I had to repeat the previous day.

At least all the bolts came out easier.

p_p
21-07-2008, 12:36 PM
I had a situation once the project guy wanted to witness the pressure test.
When I had charged the ofn to the correct pressure I called him over only for him to ask me what he was supposed to be looking at.

Priceless

Keep em coming

Regards

PP

NoNickName
21-07-2008, 12:48 PM
Abraham Lincoln (attributed) (http://www.wisdomquotes.com/001946.html): 'Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

superswill
21-07-2008, 08:49 PM
once went to over see a Crane lift of steels off a roof in London on an install were the planing application had been turned down so all the steels and outdoors had to come down,the lift went well until the flat bed turned up,its was a right old dog but the driver seemed happy to load it up,once loaded the springs were nearly flat and the steels were overhanging by a mile! there was no way i was letting this go back up to the Midlands overloaded and unsafe, so i rang the gaffa and told him the story,his answer cut the steels in half to stop the overhang,my answer why does that make them lighter?

msahmed
06-08-2008, 03:22 PM
anybody got idea what is the difference between glycol and brine. i need some tips on brine ice rink freezing fluids for brine chillers

thanking you guys
msahmed@coil-tech.com

NoNickName
06-08-2008, 04:37 PM
Glycol is the compound that most frequently is used diluted with water, forming brine.
Brine is actually a solution, glycol is a chemical compound.

Peter_1
06-08-2008, 09:10 PM
anybody got idea what is the difference between glycol and brine. i need some tips on brine ice rink freezing fluids for brine chillers

thanking you guys
msahmed@coil-tech.com

Hijacking this thread and wrong section