PDA

View Full Version : no metering device

Richvacr
04-06-2008, 02:17 AM
I have a 20 or so year old Universal Nolin 2 door reach in cooler which when I arrived the suction was -10 in. with a big chunk of ice behind the evaporator. I thought a plugged txv. Defrosted the ice and found no txv. I added some r414b bringing the pressures up (30lbs. suction 200-215 lbs head) but did not have a good delta t across the evaporator 58F - 50F.

The liquid line was frosting as it exited the top (ceiling) of the box to the evaporator. The Liquid line is 1/4 in. from the condensor to the evaporator. I see no metering device - I did not take the case apart in search of it.

I may need to add more refrigerant or recover and weigh in. But what I would like to know is where if any is the metering device.

A co-worker could not find a metering device on a Bryant rtu once but it has worked ok for several years.

Richvacr

750 Valve
04-06-2008, 06:58 AM
perhaps a small coil of small bore capillary tube somewhere hard to find like inside the evap covers or sometimes a cap tube is run inside the suction line between the cond and evap, this acts as a suction/liquid heat exchanger (sort of) and can be hard to spot sometimes

philfridge
04-06-2008, 01:15 PM
The metering device will be hidden in that big chunk of ice ;)

Richvacr
05-06-2008, 12:41 AM
I defrosted the chunk of ice thinking the metering device was there. It wasn't.

I am pretty sure the 1/4 liquid line elbows into the evaporator.

The condensor is under the case and the lines go up the back then coming back out through the ceiling to the evaporator.

The liquid line is frosting from the ceiling to evaporator. I have not peeled the reach in apart to see the whole line. But why would a metering device be up there? This is why I queried RE to see if anyone out there has done the dirty work for me.

Stopped back there today and check temp it was at 45 F. T-stat set to 35 F.

750 Valve
05-06-2008, 11:42 AM
they probably ran the capillary with the suction line, if the suction line is run in the cabinet insulation between the unit and the evap then the capillary is likely run with it, there is a metering device there - guaranteed. Or else you'd have a darn high suction pressure, 1/4" pipe is a far cry from a metering device.

philfridge
05-06-2008, 02:40 PM
But what I would like to know is where if any is the metering device.

Look a bit harder and you will find it :)