PDA

View Full Version : Oh bugger!!!

N.Lewis
02-06-2008, 02:15 PM
Hi guy's, any quick replies to this appreciated...
Am working on a york chiller YCAJ55, am changing oil ,filters, general service, removed refrigerant etc, was just charging with OFN. Now according to data plate max test pressure is 34bar, just got upto 17bar when pressure relief valve on suction line blew off:eek: ..I've just peeled myself off of the ceiling, guages still showing 16bar in system, but there is a steady trical of OFN still coming out of press relief valve????..Any ideas..

N.Lewis
02-06-2008, 02:29 PM
Scratch that, i now feel like a complete t**t, just looked at data plate again: 'Allowable press safety device setting' High side 31b low side 16.2b, DOH!!! NO WONDER SHE BLEW:rolleyes:...
Sorry guy's rookie mistake, can only blame myself:mad:

taz24
02-06-2008, 03:50 PM
Scratch that, i now feel like a complete t**t, just looked at data plate again: 'Allowable press safety device setting' High side 31b low side 16.2b, DOH!!! NO WONDER SHE BLEW:rolleyes:...
Sorry guy's rookie mistake, can only blame myself:mad:

Dont worry about it but be aware that the valve may not seat itself correctly and could weep.

Drop the pressure to about 14b or 15b and put a balloon on the top of it.

All the best...
Cheers taz.

Argus
02-06-2008, 04:27 PM

Now you've found out what relief valves are for.
You must be thankful you were wearing brown underpants.

;)

Seriously, relief valves have a tendency not to seal off perfectly after they have operated in anger and there's a school of thought that says they should be replaced regardless.

I would also check to see what you need to do with it in regard to PED compliance.

Start with finding the category and test modules for this machine. It should then indicate what you should do to preserve the compliance.

chillin out
02-06-2008, 05:05 PM
Best bet is to weld it shut to stop it leaking.

Joking by the way!!!

Chillin:):)

GHAZ
02-06-2008, 08:15 PM
Hello N LEWIS just check end plates on the evaporator to make sure the membrane gaskets have not gone, good luck

N.Lewis
04-06-2008, 11:30 AM
Thank's for all replies guy's, i was worried about that as it was still leaking out for a good half hour afterwards, but it did stop eventualy, put system onto a vac for aprox 18hrs switched pump off and left for a further two hours and it has held a very good vac reading:D...

sinewave
04-06-2008, 02:05 PM
...............for now!

Brian_UK
04-06-2008, 10:52 PM
Have a read of this from Henry about the need to replace a relief valve after it has discharged...

http://www.henrytech.com/Tips/HT-TT1.pdf

see towards the end of page one.

N.Lewis
06-06-2008, 09:33 AM
Thanks for that info brian very interesting and CORRECT!!..Bloody thing kept letting out, vacuum completly lost:(..Have got onto johnson controls for a price of a new valve, HO-HUM, Again thanks to all for your help:)..

Brian_UK
06-06-2008, 11:31 PM
You could always bung a cork up it ;)

Swampy
08-06-2008, 09:22 PM
why bother with johnsons. you can get the correct valve from HRP. tell the customer you.re going to stick a dual port on to save money in future and alls happy.