View Full Version : ammonia Air

jetpr
01-06-2008, 07:26 AM
I need to made a ammonia small chiller for air conditioner

if some one have son info about :)

thanks for the help

Steve Coates
01-06-2008, 12:41 PM
Ammonia in an air conditioning system could be very dangerous if the gas leaks out into the user's room as it is highly toxic. I have never heard of an ammonia a/c unit and would be very surprised if they are actually made. I have worked on ammonia systems and know how dangerous this gas can be.:eek:

It can be used with a secondry coolant such as glycol though.

Brian_UK
01-06-2008, 10:35 PM
That is what he is asking about Steve, a "chiller" not a DX type AC unit.

Jetpr: There are various manufacturers who provide small water chillers using NH3.

What sort of duty are you looking for?

US Iceman
06-06-2008, 02:48 PM
Steve,

The use of ammonia for AC projects is driven by the safety codes and building occupancy. It has been done here in the US and I'm sure elsewhere also.

jetpr,

A chiller using ammonia is not much different than a chiller using "*****". The materials of construction will be different and some minor variations in how the system components are designed, but that is really all of the difference you might expect to see.

keepitcool
06-06-2008, 04:07 PM
Ammonia is often used to condition air in occupied spaces. It is not common in office building but roof top air handlers with flooded coils are used in production plants all the time. If you have a central system already and want to use it to air condition office space you should consider a Glycol plate and frame.

US Iceman
06-06-2008, 06:36 PM
I worked on one job that was installed with an ammonia water chiller for an office buiding air conditioning system for a factory, which was located in a commercial/industrial zone.

This did not use glycol or any other secondary fluid (other than water).