PDA

View Full Version : Butcher Shop Refrigeration

pubwvj
31-05-2008, 08:14 PM
I would be interested in comments and suggestions for equipment, etc.

I am looking for refrigeration units using scroll compressors and PSC motors for fans. Indoor condenser coils water cooled with 45°F water. Ideally I would like self-contained, drop-in factory charged refrigeration system units but can go with other. Prefer to oversize unit by at least 20% and possibly 50% depending on costs.

These will be used with three Walk-in Coolers insulated with extruded polystyrene to R60 walls, floor and ceiling. I do not need panels, just refrigeration systems, controllers and doors.

1. Chiller 6'x14'x10' high. Chilling down 2,000 lbs of pork carcasses one day per week on slaughter day from starting 103° meat temperature to 33° meat temperature in four hours. 14,000 BTUs / 4 hours = 3,500 BTU/hr. Two doors, one in from slaughter floor and one out to meat cutting room.

2. Cooler 8'x14'x8' high. Chilling down 600 lbs of 135°F smoked pork cooled to 41°F in four hours once per week and then to 33°F and held there. On a different day 1,600 lbs of 41°F to 33°F in four hours. 56,400 BTUs / 4 hours = 14,100 BTU/hr on a different day than smoking. Two doors, one to meat cutting room and one to freezer which is inside of cooler.

3. Freezer 8'x14'x8' high. Chilling down 600 lbs of 33°F pre-cooled smoked pork down to 20°F in four hours once a week and then down to the holding temperature. Ideally I would like to have the freezer go down to -20°F if possible but -10°F is acceptable. 7,800 BTUs / 4 hours = 1,950 BTU/hr. One door from cooler - Access to freezer is only through cooler since all products to be frozen go through pre-cooling period before entering the freezer.

Each walk-in needs to be able to lower the temperature of the product through the critical temperature range in four hours and then it can continue to reduce to the goal holding temperature. Traffic is low. Slaughter happens one day a week. Butchering happens another day. Smoking happens another day. Deliveries happen another day removing almost all product from cooler room.

I am also interested in what ever can be done to make the system reliable and reduce long term operating expenses, increase energy efficiency, etc such as smart defrost, controller and the like.

All comments appreciated.

Thanks,

-Walter
in Vermont

750 Valve
04-06-2008, 06:42 AM
I don't wish to come across the wrong way Walter but what you are asking is what some people on here get payed to do, maybe if you are unsure of how to engineer the equipment then pay a refrigeration engineering consultant to do the engineering for you. You may find someone willing to do the work for you out of the goodness of their heart but I doubt it as their time is better spent on jobs that will pay the bills.

Please don't take this the wrong way, maybe if you have a shot at it and come back and ask if people think the equipment you selected is correct - this may get a few more responses

icecube51
05-06-2008, 08:05 PM
Yep, wat 750valve said is true,for exemple a formula for opening and closing of refrig doors.
Φv=
[8,0+0,067.∆θ].t.Рi.Bd.Hd. √(Hd.[1-pe/pi)].∆h.ηd

and you ask to make a full calculation, and for free.:D
nice tryed M8,:p

Ice