PDA

View Full Version : Nylog as a gasket sealer

Frig Pig
07-10-2003, 07:27 AM
found this forum today. looks good with a fair amount of posts. anyhoo... i love nylog for just a bout anything. i butter my toast with it. :p could it be used for say head gaskets on my trucks engine? MSDS sheets say that it's boiling point is 450°F and that de-polymerization occurs at 370°F. i'm asking 'cause i hate scraping gaskets. put some on copeland several years ago that just cratered and i literally just pulled the old one off. does anyone know what temps, and if they are similer to those on ref heads, that a gasoline engines run at. thanks in advance.

Karl Hofmann
07-10-2003, 04:57 PM
Many manufacturers use silicone on their engines, Nylog might work on the cooler parts of the engine, but I use it mainly when fitting new "O" rings on auto A/C. To those who have not come across Nylog yet, it is a kind of never setting polymeric snot, but it is usefull for sealing auto a/c systems where alloy joints have become corroded and pitted.

On a car engine I think that I would prefer to use a gasket!

Frig Pig
07-10-2003, 08:01 PM
i guess i wasn't that clear. i mean lube the gasket just like those on a ref compressor.

Karl Hofmann
07-10-2003, 11:18 PM
I wouldn't want to use it on a head gasket, but cooler areas should be fine, though a bit expensive. Hermatite manufacture a non setting gasket sealer specifically for engines.

supremetwo
06-08-2009, 01:29 AM
i love nylog for just a bout anything. i butter my toast with it.

Where can you purchase Nylog in the UK?:confused:

pettaw
22-07-2010, 03:58 PM
Bump for this question? Can't find a single supplier or refrigeration place that's even heard of it. All talked to me like I was stupid.

Don't wanna have to order from the US just for a couple of bottles.