PDA

View Full Version : Introduction to Refrigeration Engineer

meanu
30-05-2008, 05:11 AM
Hello to the Refrigeration Community. This is my first post.
My name is Ian ORRELL and am a retired Mechanical Engineering Associate/Technical Teacher and a Vietnam Veteran. My interests are many. Since I retired in 2002, I don't know how I ever found time to go to work. Has anyone found days with 48 hours.

I've knocked on Heaven's Door a couple of times and life is too short.

At the moment I am toying with the idea of building a stainless steel Ammonia Absorption Unit, however I find here in Australia finding information about charging any unit seems to be Closed Shop.

I understand the operating principles of these units as I was taught by the best lecturer, Mr Jack LARACY.

Two questions I have initially:

1. Is there any reason the unit can not be made of stainless steel [316 or 304] ?

2. Does anyone have the calculation procedures for calculating the correct volumes & % strength of aqua ammonia and the charging pressure of the hydrogen for a unit ?

Thankyou

taz24
30-05-2008, 01:16 PM
Hello to the Refrigeration Community. This is my first post.
My name is Ian ORRELL and am a retired Mechanical Engineering Associate/Technical Teacher and a Vietnam Veteran.
Thankyou

Hello Ian and welcome.
An interesting introduction and I hope you don't leave it at that, we like all the gossip you know;)

As for Ammonia absorbtion, Black magic to me my friend If I can't turn the thing upside down to re mix the solution then its buggerd. Not much help to you I'm sure but like I siad its black magic to me.:o

Cheers anyway I'm sure there are people who will help you.

Cheers taz.

Brian_UK
30-05-2008, 01:47 PM
Welcome to the forum Ian, we hope that you enjoy it.

I see no reason not to use stainless steel, Robur and others use it in their machines.

paul_h
30-05-2008, 01:49 PM
Hello and welcome, I'm a DX guy so I also know nothing about absorption.
You could post your question in the stinkies forum.
http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=73

I did a search there for absorption and brought up these threads
http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/search.php?searchid=505859

Not much in there but TXiceman works with them and posts in that section, so if you ask there maybe you'd get help.

US Iceman
26-06-2008, 07:52 PM
You could post your question in the stinkies forum.

Now that's not called for.:p Play nice.;)

Welcome Ian. I'm afraid I won't be much help on an absorber but one of our other members does have some experience with these I believe.