PDA

View Full Version : R407c

bersaga
07-10-2003, 05:27 AM
What are the repercussions of using R 407C for a medium temperature refrigeration application ? I'm aware of the temperature glide of 6-8K and possible fractionation that happens with this refrigerant. How about design and field issues ?

Design : Evaporator and Condensor selection - need to oversize ?

Field : Leakages - how do you manage this ?

Some air-conditioning manufacturers claim that R 407 C is a very efficient refrigerant because of the glide - the compressor suction 'sees' a higher suction temperature and so does not have to 'work ' as hard as say, if R22 is used. But then in the condensor, the condensing temperature also progressively drops and may approach the ambient - so you may need a higher design condensing temperature - and off goes your efficiency advantage , right ?

Any views/assistance appreciated ?:(

Andy
08-10-2003, 10:25 PM
Hi Bersaga
407c works well at high temperature ranges. My most recent experience is on water to water heat pumps with 2 deg C evaporation and 52 deg c condensing, with COP in the range of 3.8, so you could say it works well there. Medium temp is proabably alright, but you would have a little both controlling your evaporator flooding and your sution superheat, I would say leading to less than ideal (high) superheats and some reduction in effeciency.
Regards. Andy:)

bersaga
09-10-2003, 01:54 AM
Thanks Andy - but say , on an application that requires -15 C evaporating temp. R407 C has a glide of 6-8 K(or more) at that point. Do I select a TXV rated at -15 evap or look for some sort of average ?

frank
09-10-2003, 07:59 PM
Have a look at this from Copeland http://www.ecopeland.com/Literature/eCopeland/en_Article_GH_0100_Glide.pdf

Frank

Andy
09-10-2003, 10:40 PM
Hi Bersaga,
from reading Frank's Copeland document I would say use Dew point to set the expansion valve and Mid point when selecting compressors and matching capacities.
Kind Regards. Andy.:)