PDA

View Full Version : Technical Manuals.. Do I or Don't I???

Grizzly
28-05-2008, 10:30 PM
Please don't take this the wrong way.
But whenever I see someone asking for Technical Information, which I may have.
Before I pass it on I ask myself several questions, IE.
1) Is this a first time post?

2) If not are they a regular contributer (ALLWAYS guaranteed to get a response from me if possible)

3) Who is asking (what is their listed occupation) there have been many managers trying to circumnavigate their contractors.

4) Do I feel this person is capable of using this information correctly.

Etc. Etc.

I suppose what I am trying to say is I wish to help as many genuine members on this forum.
And have PM'ed many so as to avoid the inevitable
deluge of never to be seen again requesters.

Also in my defence a lot of the info we all amass in not normally in the public domain.

Am I being harsh or are there others out there that
feel the same?
Grizzly

The Viking
28-05-2008, 10:44 PM
I think my views on the matter is well known...

If it look like a "non engineer" I will try to discourage as far as possible.

But manuals will always be available somewhere (see my signature for example). I'm also a firm believer that the twats are less likely to hurt themselves/cause serious damage if they got the right manual.

And in the end of the day, let's face it, they will have to pay even more to fix it after they worsened the situation.
Hey, they might even realize that the quote they were given was good value for money!

Brian_UK
28-05-2008, 11:46 PM
I tend to agree with both answers which makes life a little awkward..

I also feel that, as already mentioned, some people do not do enough to get the information themselves.

We are all here to help each other, I believe, but some seem to think that this forum is the answer to all of their questions - wrong -.

I'm also a firm believer that the twats are less likely to hurt themselves/cause serious damage if they got the right manual.Unless they don't read it through properly, but that could apply to all of us at times I bet ;)

superswill
29-05-2008, 12:11 AM
I agree with all the above points, most of my manuals have come from:

Manufactures web sites
Distributors
Other engineers
Ringing manufactures and having them emailed

So these magic PDF file are now a lot more assessable to anybody in the trade and as 99% of us are just that, its share and share alike, just in the same way if I seen any of us lugging gas bottles on a roof I was on I would lend a hand, now here is the but at what point is it being lazy post a thread for one? If I can access these cant everyone? And like said am I sometimes doing wrong for right by sending them to first time posters or members with little background info?

Just my 10p worth

philfridge
29-05-2008, 11:43 PM
Am I being harsh or are there others out there that
feel the same?
Grizzly

I am starting to agree with you grizzly why should we pass on our technical knowledge :o is it because we want to get more reputation points ha ha :)

Greengrocer
30-05-2008, 12:05 AM
I tend to agree with both answers which makes life a little awkward..

I also feel that, as already mentioned, some people do not do enough to get the information themselves.

We are all here to help each other, I believe, but some seem to think that this forum is the answer to all of their questions - wrong -.

Unless they don't read it through properly, but that could apply to all of us at times I bet ;)

My signature says it all.
Problem is as "guys" we tend to think we can do most things, dive in head first and only resort to reading the instructions as a last resort & if that fails post a question on RE!!
As Dirty Harry once said "every man has to know his limitations". If you can't fix something or you don't have the tools to do the job it's time to eat humble pie and let the proffessional do it for you.
I change the disk pads, oil and do general maintenance on my car. However, it's coming up for an 80,000 mile cam belt change which, on a 1.9TDI 130 Audi means the radiator & half the top end has to come out. I don't have the time or the tools to do it so I will have to pay the thick end of £400 for a garage to do it for me. My time is better spent doing what I do for a living than messing about with things I don't understand or I'm not qualified to do.

I might be a bit harsh here but I'm sure you get my meaning.

US Iceman
06-06-2008, 03:31 PM
Grizzly,

I think you are considering the right apsects of this dilemma. It depends on the request and the tone of the request also.

In other examples, it might depend on what the person really wants to know.

I think if we continue to provide due diligence on each request the greater good is served without creating an untenable situation.

Nice post....;)

Grizzly
06-06-2008, 09:46 PM
Grizzly,

I think you are considering the right aspects of this dilemma. It depends on the request and the tone of the request also.

In other examples, it might depend on what the person really wants to know.

I think if we continue to provide due diligence on each request the greater good is served without creating an untenable situation.

Nice post....;)

Thank You.
US Iceman.
It is good to know generally we all think the same.
Help whenever possible!
But proceed with caution!
At least that's what I think the general consensus of opinion is?
Grizzly

chillin out
06-06-2008, 10:06 PM
I also agree with the points made here.

The ones I try to discourage the most is shopkeepers, and the like.
Helping them is actively ruining out trade and turning it into DIY.

Chillin:):)

US Iceman
07-06-2008, 12:38 AM
Help whenever possible!
But proceed with caution!

At least that's what I think the general consensus of opinion is?

I quite agree.

You can sometimes tell by the questions asked if it is a serious need.... or someone just collecting info (like a packrat).:D

Josip
07-06-2008, 06:13 AM
Hi, all :)

we all are here to learn something new and if possible help each other... for sure sometimes someone cross the line....;)

it is ok to discourage DIY "engineers" and definitely agree to help....

Best regards, Josip :)