PDA

View Full Version : damaged Trane hermetic 10 ton compressor

coldkeeper1
28-05-2008, 06:39 AM
The other day I was required to check a TRANE CRHL100J0H00 hermetic compressor which wasn´t pumping at all. After pulling out the compressor, I decided to cut it open with an abrasive disk. I discovered that all three connecting rods were broken into pieces and lying at the bottom of the crankcase. The crankshaft was also heavily scored. From this, I can imagine two different scenarios: non-compressible liquid refrigerant going into the cylinders or insufficient lubrication at the commecting rod / crankshaft . The first possibility seems to be the least probable: due to the internal construction of the compressor, liquid refrigerant would have to fill up almost entirely the compressor shell in order for some raw liquid to get through the suction gas cylinder inlets. On the other hand, regarding the lack of lubrication, at the time of its removal the oil level in the compressor rised about 4 inches from the bottom of the crankcase. As there is no visible internal oil pump and the crankshaft is installed vertically, I think that there is no way for some oil located at the bottom of the crankcase to creep up to reach the crankshaft / rods or upper bushing. Does this mean that the entire crankshaft must be below the oil level? If so, this means that the proper oil level for this type of compressor is almost at the middle of the compressor body, well above the actual level found in the damaged unit.