PDA

View Full Version : Foster Solo Cold Room

NIKK38
19-05-2008, 09:36 PM
Does anyone know where I can get a wiring diagram for a Foster Solo Freezer Cold Room. It's a through the wall condensor unit, running a Prestcold K100 Comp.
The unit has got through 3 compressors in as many days. I've looked at the wiring and cannot see anything wrong but have no diagram to check it against. Any help would be appreciated.

chemi-cool
19-05-2008, 09:42 PM
What makes you think that there is something wrong with the wiring?

Chemi :)

NIKK38
19-05-2008, 09:55 PM
I don't know that there is something wrong with the wiring, but i'd like to make sure that everything is connected as it should be before i start looking elsewhere. The first compressor melted the capacitors, the second blew the windings and the third has lost it's start windings.

chemi-cool
19-05-2008, 10:08 PM
I would guess that the problem is else where.

I trust them to recheck wiring.

Please give some more details about the unit, all I know now is that it is a single phase.

Chemi :)

albionharley
19-05-2008, 11:44 PM
I think i may have some old Foster manuals stashed away in the garage - if you still need them then i'll try and dig them out tomorrow night. If i remember correctly Foster equipment had a serial number which i think started with "E" if you know this it could help put an age to it. I assume that it is quite old due to the fact it has a Prestcold comp on it. Have you any idea how old the first comp was before it failed? If it was several years old and no one has "messed" recently then i would assume the wiring is correct. Could it possibly be overloading on start up ? Hence the failed start winding. If you need a Prestcold wiring diagram let me Know. Or if it would be any help PM me and i'll give you my mobile no and we could go over the wiring over the phone. Out of interest i assume the comps are reman ?? Let us know how you get on!!

powell
20-05-2008, 12:44 AM
NIKK38,

Three compressors in three days.:eek:

With what you described in your second post I would first check these for possible causes.

1. Incorrect start components installed.
2. Voltage fluctuating.
3. Short cycling.
4. Potential relay mounting position.
5. Does the start cap have a bleed resistor.

If it were wired incorrectly it wouldn't run at all.

If you give us the complete Prestcold model number we can tell you the start correct components that are needed.

albionharley
20-05-2008, 12:57 AM
With respect ,you don't need the complete model number as the missing numbers refer to the bore and stroke. The relay and caps are the same for all K100's.

NIKK38
20-05-2008, 07:56 AM
Caps have bleed resistors, the first comp to go had been on there for approx 3 years.
I've found a wiring diagram, the only difference I can see between what it shows and what I've got is the start relay (if it's wrong it doesn't explain how the thing ran before).
The comps I've been fitting are Aces ( don't usually have a problem with them)
I've got a new comp arriving this morning, I'll let you know how i get on

old gas bottle
20-05-2008, 08:06 PM
there a head scratcher when your not wiring them up all day long as there getting a bit old now, obviousley you will fit new electrics to it anyway,there should be a wiring diagram in with them or in the new compressor lid,if not get on to the reman company you use,they should be able to fax one to you, are the caps the right size?think there are 160 start and 15mfd run but dont quote me on that,other thing is,is the contactor burnt or stuck in? if someones had all the wiring to bits it may could be wired wrong, stick the old amprobe on it.;)

p_p
20-05-2008, 08:53 PM
K100 on a Foster Solo?

PP

monkey spanners
20-05-2008, 09:47 PM
Years ago (20-25) prestcold in thier wisdom changed where the start,run and common teminals where, they soon changed them back again after a load of compressors got burnt out when being used as replacements :eek: What age is this system?

When i fit a replacement compressor, i make a note of where all the wires go then i disconnect them all and wire them in to the new terminals in the replacement compressor, some engineers prefer to disconnect the compressor and klixon terminals and swap the existing box over, bear in mind that doing this may transfer the reason for the originals failure to the new compressor.
Also i always like to run up a new motor with an amp meter so i can see whats going on.
I also like to check the capacitors with a meter before fitting.

Have a look here for a wiring diagram on page 10, the whole book is well worth reading though

http://www.thermagroup.com/compressors.php

and click on 'field compressor guide'

Jon

philfridge
21-05-2008, 12:23 AM
I would check the contactor voltage each side and then change it. Does sound like you have burnt the start windings out on all three compressors if they have gone that quick. Could be wiring incorrect or acid in system ??

albionharley
23-05-2008, 01:02 AM
Hi just wondered how you got on ? Hopefully you've sorted the problem -but abit of feedback would be nice.

NIKK38
23-05-2008, 08:41 AM
Unit is up and running........

I got another engineer over to look things over with me, just in case I was missing something. We pulled all the wires and rewired everything as per drawing.
No problems so far.

The problem seems to have been with the relay, it looks like the start and run caps were always in the running circuit, which would explain the blown start windings on each comp. It doesn't explain how the first of the 3 comps ran for 3 years.

Thanks for all the input.

albionharley
23-05-2008, 01:29 PM
Cheers for the update :D
Glad to hear that you have sorted it :D

santhoshtrv
20-08-2009, 12:11 PM
very nice thanks

nike123
20-08-2009, 12:43 PM
The problem seems to have been with the relay, it looks like the start and run caps were always in the running circuit, which would explain the blown start windings on each comp. It doesn't explain how the first of the 3 comps ran for 3 years.

Thanks for all the input.

Incorrect wiring after replacement of first compressor explain that. Or if compressor starting kit is not replaced along with compressor.