PDA

View Full Version : AmericAire 18,000 R410 liquid line cold HELP?

crunchtime2k
19-05-2008, 08:10 AM
HELP!

i installed an americaire 18,000 btu split unit with heatpump about a year ago

unit is 220v R410a

came pre charged for a 15 foot pipe setup.

we are using a 15 foot pipe setup.

installed everything problem free and connected lines and pulled a vacuum and then opened the valve to release precharged r410a into the rest of the system.

unit blows cold in 100 degree days and blows hot in the winter.

however i noticed the liquid line is always cold. is this normal or am i undercharged?

the cooling performance from the unit is very good. i have a steady stream of water condensate dripping from the tube on a 100 degree california day.

please give me your opinions.

thanks
:rolleyes:

Brian_UK
20-05-2008, 01:00 AM
Liquid line is not a liquid line, what you class as the liquid line is in fact an expansion line.

Expansion takes place inside the outdoor unit and not the indoor.

I assume that you have insulated both pipes? (or were the supplied pipes insulated?)

Situation normal, do not panic :)

crunchtime2k
20-05-2008, 01:07 AM
Yes, the 15 foot pipe kit came pre insulated with nice quality stuff.

thanks for calming the worries

Husky250
20-05-2008, 01:11 AM
HELP!

i installed an americaire 18,000 btu split unit with heatpump about a year ago

unit is 220v R410a

came pre charged for a 15 foot pipe setup.

we are using a 15 foot pipe setup.

installed everything problem free and connected lines and pulled a vacuum and then opened the valve to release precharged r410a into the rest of the system.

unit blows cold in 100 degree days and blows hot in the winter.

however i noticed the liquid line is always cold. is this normal or am i undercharged?

the cooling performance from the unit is very good. i have a steady stream of water condensate dripping from the tube on a 100 degree california day.

please give me your opinions.

thanks
:rolleyes:
Make sure not to install driers in the liquid line. As Brian indicated, if metering device is at the outdoor this will create a restriction. Also, If expansion device is in the outdoor NEVER change the size of linesets. It will change capacity of your system.