PDA

View Full Version : Houseboat installation

Talyrung
18-05-2008, 03:57 PM
Hi there, I'm installing a Goodman 1.5 ton A/C on my houseboat and have three questions for the pros...

1. Suction line. The product specifications from Goodman call for a 3/4 suction line. How do you bend 3/4? I have some tight corners to make and I've already destroyed about 15 feet of line trying to bend it by hand. Would it be a terrible idea to step the line down to 5/8 so I can use the spring benders? Should I just cut the pipe into sections and install some regular 3/4 elbows?

2. The manual tells me the condenser comes with a charge sufficient for 15 feet of lines. I only need about 10 feet. Will cutting the lines down to 10 feet cause me any grief?

2. Roof mounting. The roof system is 2 x 6's with 5/8 plywood and a thick layer of fiberglass. Will the noise and vibration from the condenser be a big issue for me? Any advice on how I should mount the unit to deal with those problems?

Thanks much, this site is a great resource,
Talyrung

taz24
18-05-2008, 06:18 PM
Hi there, I'm installing a Goodman 1.5 ton A/C on my houseboat and have three questions for the pros...

1. Suction line. The product specifications from Goodman call for a 3/4 suction line. How do you bend 3/4? I have some tight corners to make and I've already destroyed about 15 feet of line trying to bend it by hand. Would it be a terrible idea to step the line down to 5/8 so I can use the spring benders? Should I just cut the pipe into sections and install some regular 3/4 elbows?

Do not reduce the pipe. If it was designed to be 3/4 then 3/4 is what it should be. Reduceing the pipe will affect the flow of refrigerant.
You can fit the correct elbows but they must be brazed in correctly and then pressure tested before used. You can get benders to bend the pipe, try getting hold of a set.

2. The manual tells me the condenser comes with a charge sufficient for 15 feet of lines. I only need about 10 feet. Will cutting the lines down to 10 feet cause me any grief?

Do not worry about the length. It will do futher than 15ft but extra refrigerant will need adding. The system will run happy at anything between 0ft and 15ft.

3. Roof mounting. The roof system is 2 x 6's with 5/8 plywood and a thick layer of fiberglass. Will the noise and vibration from the condenser be a big issue for me? Any advice on how I should mount the unit to deal with those problems?

You can buy anti vibration matts and mounts. I would recomend you sitting it on a base that is sat on anti vibration matts.

Thanks much, this site is a great resource,
Talyrung

Do you have the right tools to complete this job correctly. Do you have access to OFN (oxygen free nitrogen) to strength test and leak test your connections and joints if used.
It is a good idea to purge OFN through the pipes while you braze the joints (if you do braze the joints). Do you have a vac pump to evacuate all air, nitrogen, moisture and other substances from the pipework. It is not just about connecting the pipes up you need to do it correctly if you want your system to run correctly and last for a long time.

Cheers taz.

The MG Pony
18-05-2008, 07:27 PM
I wouldn't say it is a good idea to run nitrogen, I would say it is demanded to use nitrogen, it is not optional, No N2, no brazing!

I think the language we use some times makes some think other wise.

As taz said, make a vibration isolating base, and try to re-enforce the spot as over time the fibre glass will crack.

Talyrung
18-05-2008, 08:30 PM
Thanks for the fast responses. I'm just planning to get things in place, run the lines, electrical, etc., and then to bring in a plumber to hook up the copper and evacuate the lines and all that.

I have looked for a 3/4 pipe bender, but I can't find anything bigger than 5/8. I tried a conduit bender but that didn't work very well. I'll keep looking.

Thanks again and if anyone has anything else to add please let me know.

Talyrung

The Viking
18-05-2008, 08:37 PM
Thanks for the fast responses. I'm just planning to get things in place, run the lines, electrical, etc., and then to bring in a plumber to hook up the copper and evacuate the lines and all that.

Talyrung

:eek::eek::eek::rolleyes:

nike123
18-05-2008, 08:48 PM
and then to bring in a plumber to hook up the copper and evacuate the lines and all that.

Thanks again and if anyone has anything else to add please let me know.

Talyrung

Are you sure that you want plumber to do AC work?:eek:

Talyrung
18-05-2008, 10:06 PM
he does A/C stuff too and we've used this arrangement successfully in the past.

nike123
18-05-2008, 10:52 PM
he does A/C stuff too and we've used this arrangement successfully in the past.

Then,, I don't have any opposition to that, since I am also electrician who does A/C stuff.;)

taz24
19-05-2008, 12:15 AM
Then,, I don't have any opposition to that, since I am also electrician who does A/C stuff.;)

Ah then...

I'm a fridge man who somtimes does plumbing and electrical work. What does that make me?:p

Don't answer, I'll guess your responce;)

Cheers taz.