PDA

View Full Version : R 170 Ethane

fridgey
18-05-2008, 10:29 AM
I'm currently repairing a Jouan -85 cascade freezer. It had a leak on the second stage which i have located and repaired. The second stage runs on R170 ethane. I've been trying to locate some in australia but have been quoted some absorbently high prices. $1100 AUD per kg.:eek: At that price i'm thinking of charging with 508b still $900 AUD per kg. (pose a problem during charging ie static. pressures different) I would prefer to stick with manufacturers specs.
Does anyone in Australia know of somewhere to obtain it cheaper? None of my usual refrigeration suppliers seem to want to know about it. What is a reasonable price for ethane in the rest of the world? I know that low temp refrigerants are exspensive but i thought being a hydrocarbon, ethane would be cheaper than ***** alternatives. Any help would be appreciated.

The MG Pony
18-05-2008, 07:16 PM
Gas supliers tend to be better, just charge through a filter drier.

fridgey
19-05-2008, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the advice, the gas supplier was where i got the $1100/kg quote from though.

fridgey
23-05-2008, 01:15 PM
It all ok, I came across some through a contact in the industry for a decent price.

Miko
30-07-2009, 09:01 AM
Hi all,

newbie here...

Not wanting to create another thread, I post my question here since it's regarding the same refrigerant.

Question:

I have a HERA Freeze ULT Freezer 2 stage using R507 and R170 refrigerant.

1. Am I correct that R507 is Stage 1 (High) and R170 is Stage 2 ( Low)

2. Can I replace the R170 to a much safer refrigerant?

Thank you.

NoNickName
30-07-2009, 09:06 AM
1) yes
2) as long as you know what replacing refrigerant is all about, yes. Otherwise, no.

Miko
30-07-2009, 09:35 AM
1) yes
2) as long as you know what replacing refrigerant is all about, yes. Otherwise, no.

item 2 makes me more curious...:)
I thought of replacing it because it is deemed as flammable and hard to obtain at my place plus expensive.

after your answer... i have another question?? what replacing refrigerant is all about??? why do people replace refrigerant? Is it because of the reason that I have besides the old type refrigerant (non ozone friendly)? Very much appreciated if you have any links or guide on refrigerant replacement..

cheers..

NoNickName
30-07-2009, 09:43 AM
The reason behind so many refrigerants is basically that each of them has a range of temperatures and pressure for which the thermodynamics is optimal. Changing the refrigerant because of its flammability or price does not necessarily imply that there is a substitute for it in terms of temperatures and pressures for which it will return same performance or cooling capacity, and for which the TXV or other components will properly operate.

At this stage R170 is still one of the best for low temperatures in the range -70 to -90°C. On volume 32 number 5 of International Journal of Refrigeration there is an article about R170 blends for low temperature applications. Happy reading.

norseman
30-07-2009, 09:47 AM
Since R 1170 is a refrigerant used at least for 30 years as I know and probably longer, it should be easy to find in the market. HERA freeze is a big maker in Germany so it will be many R 1150 units out there.
Personally, I get upset to find that someone has changed the original refrigerant on a unit without a major cause. Juan and Heto use it too. Both suppliers are out of business making new ones, but Heto must have quite some hundreds of units out there.
One good thing with the hydro carbon types like this one is that the oil return capacity is very good since it works as a "solvent" If you go for R 23 with the wild discharge temperature or in that way better 508B, you can end up with a low stage capillary tube partially blocked by "sticky" oil. If you add some R290 propane at full vacuum , the oil return would be better/safer. Stay with R 1150 on this expensive unit and you are sure that you dont mix it up:o
Norseman.

NoNickName
30-07-2009, 10:15 AM
I think he was referring to ethane R170, and not propylene R1170 or ethylene R1150

EDIT: Fridgey, have you tried with hychill http://www.hychill.com.au/

norseman
30-07-2009, 01:22 PM
I think he was referring to ethane R170, and not propylene R1170 or ethylene R1150

EDIT: Fridgey, have you tried with hychill http://www.hychill.com.au/

Sorry, it seems like my age makes my hands to shake. Sure I tried to make R170. That was the type disgussed. If I made R 1150 I would be into another cascade type HC .
:confused: