PDA

View Full Version : cold store flooring preparation

smpsmp45
17-05-2008, 08:24 AM
we are using vapor barriers etc for floor insulation. But recently I came across various materials being used for the same purpose. Also the scheme for doing all that is varying from suppliers to supplier. I was just wondering what forum members are doing on that

US Iceman
17-05-2008, 04:40 PM
Different materials might be used because someone is trying to save money, or trying to find a better method.

My recommendation is to look at the perm rating of vapor retarder. Almost all vapor retarders will allow some moisture flow through them. So they way I see this is we need to use materials which offer the greatest resistance to moisture flow (lower perm rating).

I believe this is one of the main reasons also for sub-floor heating. The warm sub-floor has a higher vapor pressure so that this drives the moisture out (so it can't freeze).

chemi-cool
17-05-2008, 04:50 PM
The floor insulation should be made from the same material as the walls and just as thick with a vapor barrier and a concreet floor.

No more and no less.

Chemi :)

gwapa
18-05-2008, 03:45 AM
smpsmp45
We use polyethelene 150 micras . It is a good material. We overlaping the sheets more or less 10cm and seal with Protecapa from SIKA. This products are a very good vapor barrier but also do not have any olor. Many installer use sheet of paper impregnated with petroleum compound. This kind of products leaks bad olors to the cooldroom.
The polyethelene film must seal must go at lest 50 cm agains the panels wall
hope this helps
regards
Gwapa