PDA

View Full Version : Australian split installers, some info needed

paul_h
16-05-2008, 11:03 AM
I swore of doing installs after the last core drilling escapade, but my mortgage needs paying.
I know all the ins and outs of most brands, but may need to be creative. Someone wants a quote to replace a cooling only wall split with a r/c, this is the only reason why I'm considering it, no hole to drill! :)
So to supply and install I need to buy the unit (all previous installs of mine the customer already bought the unit).
This being australia, installers do not handle warranty, I could sell them any bit of crap and walk away. Me being me, I would only supply a unit that had good manufacturers warranty. So I'm looking at the top end of big asian brands, even though there's some good ones out there for a good price, they're new to australia or expect me to service the warranty.
So brands I know very well:
Fujitsu and Panasonic
Good gear, can't say much for the people doing warranty on them anymore :D
LG
Cheap, would proabably win me the job, 5 year warranty, can't say I think much of the warranty agent though. Then again not my problem, if the unit is unreliable it won't cost me money and eventually someone will fix it.
Mitsubishi
Web site is down, I have no idea who the warranty agents are. I'm somewhat familiar with them though as I've repaired a few.
Toshiba
I have been told where to buy it from (totaline) but again no idea who the warranty agent is

That's pretty much the only brands I'd consider, as they all have good quailty or strong warranty backing so I'd never have to get involved with it after installation.

Of course I have no idea where to buy them from cheaply in perth either. Last time I tried to buy my own, even though I was working for a service agent, I couldn't get them as cheap "ex-factory" as some retail employee who worked for "The Good Guys", "Harvey Norman" or "Retravision" electrical stores could.
edit: This is just a wall split for a restuarant, so I'd guess they're looking for a 8kw/3hp wall split.

PaulZ
16-05-2008, 11:43 AM
Hi Paul
We had a similar problem trying to buy Mitsubishi, Daikin and Fujitsu.
I know Actrols handle a couple of brands but they are not that cheap.
There is a mob in Adelaide called the Air Conditioning Warehouse don't know if you have a similar outlet in Perth. We did a deal with them and managed to get splits for a pretty good price.
The trouble is these stores sell so many their buying power is pretty good, whereas if you only do half a dozen or so a year the suppliers don't want to know you.
Good luck in getting a good price.
Paul

paul_h
16-05-2008, 01:58 PM
I couldn't find anything about "air conditioner warehouse" except for a NSW based company.
This is new ground for me, I've tried it before as I mentioned, to no avail.
I know heaps of decent brands sold through refrig wholesalers, or even direct, such lennox. None of them are bad, just aren't that cheap and have no warranty provider network.
I just want to do what's right, do a good install and set the customer up with five year warranty (provided by someone else :D ), like panasonic, fujitsu or whatever.
I can't find the SA wholesaler you mentioned or any in WA though.

Makanic
16-05-2008, 02:28 PM
Hi restuarant is not domestic use :(
Panasonic will do a 5 year warranty regardless ..after sales service? Check the web site for who does your area.
Fugitsu is only 5 years in domestic
12 months in commercial(read the fine print)After sales service sucks 99% of the time authorised service centres get paid peanuts for a service call,so dont hold your breath.
Mitsubishi electric is also 12 months on commercial
Mitsubish Heavy is 5 years on Commercial & domestic
As for pricing...The Company I work for Can get Panasonic Direct from Distributor ..But I have got them Cheaper From retravision...Same only story Retail store Buy More..

paul_h
16-05-2008, 02:39 PM
Hi restuarant is not domestic use :(
Panasonic will do a 5 year warranty regardless ..after sales service? Check the web site for who does your area.
Fugitsu is only 5 years in domestic
12 months in commercial(read the fine print)After sales service sucks 99% of the time authorised service centres get paid peanuts for a service call,so dont hold your breath.
Mitsubishi electric is also 12 months on commercial
Mitsubish Heavy is 5 years on Commercial & domestic
As for pricing...The Company I work for Can get Panasonic Direct from Distributor ..But I have got them Cheaper From retravision...Same only story Retail store Buy More..I did fuji/pana warranty up to 4 months ago, did it since 2003. They have 5 years warranty for all of them not matter where they're installed, commercial or domestic. Only some brands made a distinction, but fuji didn't 4 months ago!...
I know those two brands like the back of my hand with is they were my first preference, I worked as a warranty guy for them and other brands long enough, plus still have contacts with them on the service side.
They get paid peanuts though I do agree, it's the reason why I left, and why I said I don't have full confidence in getting good or timely warranty repairs, but they will (eventually) get looked after unlike some other brands.
Thanks for the advice, I've been around for a while and found the same as you, warranty work sucks, retailers get better deals than the industry. Trust me, I've been there and I know what you're saying about pricing.
Like I said, I've known retail employees get better work discounts than us trade guys get. I'm just trying to find out the exception.
If not, maybe I'll hang around outside a retravision and try to make some new friends :)

Makanic
16-05-2008, 03:27 PM
THe thing with retailers is they get rebates from the Manufacturers, They pre order what thay think there going to sell in a season hence there buying power,Manufacturers like Pana & Fuji Dont care about the Installers they just want to Move there product in Bulk

paul_h
16-05-2008, 05:56 PM
It's not just that, it's the fact that they are presold and the factory can't make anymore than the preselling. So the odd unit comes at a premium.
I've had the manufacturers scrounge around damaged units and bins to get enough spares to get a unit going. Free units that aren't presold are that rare that they couldn't get a spare unit to use or get parts from.
That's why I'm drawing blanks, I know a number of people in the industry, but even they can't pull complete units out of thin air when there's a shortage, only bulk buyers can.
Thanks for your PM, I'll try, cheers.

Makanic
17-05-2008, 02:45 AM
I thought Companys like Pana & Fuji Can get or keep spares for upto 10 years?
Most of the China Rebadge units ,unless it comes from the big 2 AUX GREE ,theres no hope in getting spares,The importers only get 1% of spares suppled from the total import order,Not much in spares 1%,Unless theres a Manufacturing fault will they get a large amount of spare's ,I have seen this with 1 of the china importers ,100's of Air con units that were installed didnt work & by the time china sent someone out to work out there stuff up, it took over 6 Months to get a Fix, Alot of Unhappy Customers. THe guys I work for No longer want to risk any china Product that hasnt got Major customer support even if the cost savings a big you loose out in the long run.
We need a trade suppler that can be competitive with prices, Its not good Buisness when the customer can get a better deal from the retailers,
THe worst I have come across was Quoting a builder 6 air cons for a project
I gave him my cost on the Air cons (trade price i payed for them)which i thought was cheap compared to what the retail was worth as it was a $250 saving per Unit off retail , Only to find out he got a price from one of the retailers (that he buys other stuff from)they quoted him $120 LESS than my trade price, So he thought I was trying to make proffit from the units..I still won the Job so all was good,
Still Not good for buisness:(

fridgey
19-05-2008, 02:56 PM
It's all about buying power with splits and if your a little guy you get no favours price wise. Most of the time you can't get a split any cheaper than any joe smoe of the street.:( So when you put your margin on it if the client thinks your riping him off. But hey you've gotta pay the mortgage. I always recommened clients to buy known brand names and specify what size they need and leave the purchasing to them, the just quote to install. Saves the stuffing round and leave them to sort things out if theres any warranty issues.;)

fridgey
19-05-2008, 03:12 PM
"We need a trade suppler that can be competitive with prices, Its not good Buisness when the customer can get a better deal from the retailers"

Don't hold your breath!

THe worst I have come across was Quoting a builder 6 air cons for a project
I gave him my cost on the Air cons (trade price i payed for them)which i thought was cheap compared to what the retail was worth as it was a $250 saving per Unit off retail , Only to find out he got a price from one of the retailers (that he buys other stuff from)they quoted him $120 LESS than my trade price, So he thought I was trying to make proffit from the units..I still won the Job so all was good,
Still Not good for buisness:([/quote]

Us poor fridgies in Oz are just the pawns of the plumbing and electrical trades and it stinks. A client recently asked me to supply him some pair coil. I quoted him list price from my refrig supplier. Fair enough. He rings me back say, don't worry about it. A certain plumbing supplier who has recently suck its finger in the refrig supplying pie has sold to him at trade. They not in it to look after the refrig trade, just there plumbers who want to install splits. I tell you one thing i won't be buying a thing from them on principal.

paul_h
20-05-2008, 03:40 PM
I thought Companys like Pana & Fuji Can get or keep spares for upto 10 years?Fujitsu do, but in sydney. If we had a customer bitching and complaining because parts took to long through a stuff up or misdiagnosis, fujitsu (wa) didn't have any spare parts, just the "busted and broken" A/C pile to salvage from.
Panasonic? Don't hold your breath, parts are even worse from them, I've come across a few 6yo units that had no spares available. What you could get still took two weeks or more.

What I was refering too was the amount of installers who easily got units cheap through 'connections' and volume who had a faulty install who say to us "you're the service agent, supply me a new part/unit". We would have to say, "we ain't got ****, parts are two weeks away ex sydney".
They would be in disbelief, but that's how it goes, I've been on the wrong side of that conversation many times, units are hard to get for the little guy, I'm just posting this to say units are hard to get for even the manufacturers rep, for replacements or spare parts. All units are presold by the asian factories to wholesalers and retailers even before they get here. Uou'd need to be friends with the wholesaler or retailer they were presold too though, not even company reps or sevice agents can get their hands on new units easily.
Loose spare parts are supplied, sometimes not well stocked though.