PDA

View Full Version : Spray chiller designs

gwapa
15-05-2008, 01:30 AM
Hello
I am interesting to produce water close to 0°C . One of the way is to use the spray chiller but somebody can explain How the spray chillers work?
Any manufacturer? :off topic:

PaulZ
15-05-2008, 10:05 AM
Hi gwapa
Many years ago when I worked for Howden Refrigeration in Australia they had some portable spray chillers on NH3. These were basically a shell and tube heat exchanger with 3 or 4 double spray heads fitted into the top of the heat exchanger. There was a reasonable sized drop leg with a small liquid pump fitted that fed the sprays. The pump was a Smith high pressure gear pump. These worked fairly well as long as the pumps didn't get oil in them.
The heat exchanger had a suction header on the top with a series of entries from the shell, this allowed any entrained liquid to drop out and run back to the heat exchanger.
The bottom row or two of the tubes were in the liquid I recall.
There was a control column on the side with 2 level switches, operating and hi level. There was a pressure differential switch for the liquid pump.
These chillers were rated at 60 TR on chiller duty about -10 to -15 suction. The compressor was a WRV163, can't remember the exact details of the compressor.
Hope this helps.
Paul

gwapa
15-05-2008, 10:05 PM
thanks PaulZ
any idea who mnufactur this units

What was the outlet temperature do you remember?

regards
Gwapa

PaulZ
16-05-2008, 09:36 AM
Hi gawpa
I can't remember I think Howden got them built in Australia to their design. Howden in Australia is now Austcold. You could google spray chillers and see what comes up.
Sorry I can't be of any further help
Paul

US Iceman
16-05-2008, 02:56 PM
gwapa,

I've seen these before in poultry processing plants. You might try a search on Google for "red water chillers" also.

Think poultry processing and using chilled water to cool the birds... That's where the term red water comes from...blood in the water.

Tycho
16-05-2008, 08:22 PM
Hello
I am interesting to produce water close to 0°C . One of the way is to use the spray chiller but somebody can explain How the spray chillers work?
Any manufacturer? :off topic:

Here's a manufacturer

http://www.mmc.no

With a good load control system for the compressor this system can run the compressor at 100% until the seawater is at -1.5C

bruceboldy
23-05-2008, 12:07 AM
MY old employer Isotherm Builds these units for several companies that supply them to the Poultry and process industries . '
Can be used with r-22 and ammonia and able to produce 32 degree f water without freeze up problems.
large water capacities are available.
Give them a call these things work great.

Isotherm inc in Arlington, texas USA

best regards

Bruce

keepitcool
28-05-2008, 05:46 PM
Morris and associates and C.A.T.(Cooling Applied Technologies) also make spray chillers.

Good Luck.

Tycho
31-10-2008, 01:08 AM
MY old employer Isotherm Builds these units for several companies that supply them to the Poultry and process industries . '
Can be used with r-22 and ammonia and able to produce 32 degree f water without freeze up problems.
large water capacities are available.
Give them a call these things work great.

Isotherm inc in Arlington, texas USA

best regards

Bruce

was looking at some old posts and found this :)

Thought I'd mention that MMC Kulde buy the chillers from Isotherm, then gets them mounted on skids with Howden compressor units at SES and they are delivered onboard the ships complete, ready to connect the cables and seawater pipes.

zayub
15-07-2011, 03:51 AM
Yes we at Isotherm have developed unique design of spray evaporators. Our latest patented version has surpassed all other evaporators in the industry due to the least refrigerant charge capability. The thermal performance is similar to our spray chillers; however, this SX series does nott require any pumps and the control system is very simple.

gwapa
14-08-2011, 04:56 PM
Thanks to all you
I alreddy ask a quotation
Regards
Gwapa

TrazY
22-09-2011, 07:19 AM
Yes we at Isotherm have developed unique design of spray evaporators. Our latest patented version has surpassed all other evaporators in the industry due to the least refrigerant charge capability. The thermal performance is similar to our spray chillers; however, this SX series does nott require any pumps and the control system is very simple.

Good day Mr. Zayub,
I am student of mechanical engineering in Mexico. I am interesting in "SX series" systems that you posted. Can you help me to find some information about this spray chillers without pump?
Thanks a lot,
TrazY