PDA

View Full Version : TEV for 3-banger chiller?

herefishy
09-09-2003, 09:23 PM
We have been griping about the inability to apply an expansion valve in the CPU, VC, and chipset cooling applications. But in considering Bowman 1964's 3-evap single system design, I decided that if we attribute a 150w load for each evaporator (450btuh approx.), times 3 evaps = 450w (1,350 btuh) or .1125 tons.....

Guess what.... that's right in the ballpark for a Sporlan EF-1/8 expansion valve.

:D

Prof Sporlan
10-09-2003, 01:07 AM
Give or take a little. :D One TEV controlling 3 separate evaporators? :eek:

herefishy
10-09-2003, 02:43 AM
Think of it as a multiple circuit evaporator. Perhaps a properly sized distributor would be called for, but I'd whip it together before I called the plant to spec one for me.

The evaps will be on a common suction, therefore NOT "seperate" :D

i might consider piping in series. The valve would definitely be externally equalized, because I would imagine a pretty good pressure drop through the tiny evaporator(s) circuit.

The low pressure connections between the blocks (evaporators), merely think of as return bends on a fan coil. ;)

(the evaps/blocks are no more that 6" away from each other)

OH!!!! .... Professor, I placed that order today. I was told it would be 3 to 4 weeks from the plant for my EFSE-1/8-ZP expansion valve. Could you go out on the floor, and tell the guys to put roller skates on it? LOL!!! :D

Chris Burton
01-10-2006, 08:40 PM
You could try mounting a low pressure reciever/suction accumalator on the outlet of the evapourators with a common suction which you control the superheat on?

TXiceman
15-10-2006, 05:57 PM
I've seen a few folks try to run 2 or three evaps in parallel from one TXV with limited success. The problem is the ability to feed the coils correctly under all conditions. Unless you have some sort of distributir, the feed will be very problematic at best.

Ken