PDA

View Full Version : advice needed on carrying refrigerant cylinders

maidy1
14-05-2008, 03:35 PM
I work for a national building services company in the UK as an a/c engineer.

Recently it was decided that it was unsafe to carry refrigerant cylinders in cars(ford focus),thus we were given vans.(heating guys and electricians got to keep their cars)

This creates a massive dillema as i need the car to transport my kids.

When I changed employment I only considered jobs that offered a car.Written in my offer of employment it clearly states "a car will be provided".

Needless to say Im now seeking another employer,although I dont want to leave as I enjoy my sites I look after.

Anyway I guess the advice im after is A) how do I tackle a breach of contract and B) what are the laws governing transportation of gas bottles.

Thanks guys.

coolments
14-05-2008, 06:24 PM
Why not ask for a twin cab pick up, leasing for these is cheaper than most cars and vans anyway, having a hard top fitted to the back solves the problem of safety and security as you are totally isolated from the rear section. or ask for a van with a back seat conversion. if you are normally supplied with a car then i feel neither of the above are out of order to ask for, its just down to negotiation.

nike123
14-05-2008, 07:05 PM
When I changed employment I only considered jobs that offered a car.Written in my offer of employment it clearly states "a car will be provided".

You Englishman's are really spoiled!
Here, you are happy if you are payed after 6 months or at all!;)
I have, few years ago, 1 year conditional sentence to prison, for "asking" my earned money from my employer.
That is why I now only trust one employer. Myself!

Makanic
16-05-2008, 02:49 PM
I have, few years ago, 1 year conditional sentence to prison, for "asking" my earned money from my employer.

jezzz ..time to move i think... :p jebiga

taz24
16-05-2008, 08:33 PM
I work for a national building services company in the UK as an a/c engineer.

Recently it was decided that it was unsafe to carry refrigerant cylinders in cars(ford focus),thus we were given vans.(heating guys and electricians got to keep their cars)

This creates a massive dillema as i need the car to transport my kids.

Needless to say Im now seeking another employer,although I dont want to leave as I enjoy my sites I look after.

Anyway I guess the advice im after is A) how do I tackle a breach of contract and B) what are the laws governing transportation of gas bottles.

Thanks guys.

Health and Safety Executive state that cylinders should be tranported on the back of a flatbed vehical, if the cylinder is carried in a car or van then it should have ventilation. If you are in a van then it still needs the ventilation fan on the roof. So a car or a van makes no differance as long as it is ventilated.

taz.

maidy1
18-05-2008, 01:28 PM
Taz, have you got a link to these HSE laws?

The MG Pony
18-05-2008, 07:29 PM

Move to Canada! then it is only the government that takes your money but at least you get to see it breifly!