PDA

View Full Version : PHE as condenser

lana
12-05-2008, 05:19 AM
Hi everybody,

I was wondering if anyone used a Plate Heat Exchanger as water cooled condenser?
If so, what about scaling? :confused:

I would appreciate any comments.

Cheers

smpsmp45
12-05-2008, 08:47 AM
One of our customers is using these PHE. I shall get his feedback on this.

NoNickName
12-05-2008, 11:22 AM
As long as the condensing circuit is a closed circuit, no scaling is produced. I've used a lot of those without problems.

nike123
12-05-2008, 10:38 PM
Closed circuit is the way!

Greengrocer
13-05-2008, 02:37 AM
Hi everybody,

I was wondering if anyone used a Plate Heat Exchanger as water cooled condenser?
If so, what about scaling? :confused:

I would appreciate any comments.

Cheers

Most chiller manufacturers also include or recommend the use of minimum 100micron mesh filter in the field piping to protect the very narrow waterways in the PHE.

US Iceman
13-05-2008, 02:51 AM
Hi lana.

Depending on capitol equipment costs a cooling tower may be less expensive than an evaporative fluid cooler. I think the piping costs for either would be similar. However, if you look at life cycle costs including maintenance the evaporative fluid cooler may be less. The need to regularly clean strainers for the PHE circuit would be eliminated, while the chemical treatment should be similar for either case (in the evaporative sections of the heat rejection device).

Closed circuit would be preferable I think for the PHE, but the above are my wondering thoughts on how you might justify either one.

Hope things are well with you and your family.:)

lana
13-05-2008, 04:42 AM
Hi everybody,

Thank you for your replies.

What I was wondering is actually an open circuit with a cooling tower. Obviously if the water circuit was closed then the scaling would be minimal.
Because of narrow passage ways between the plates, If scaling occurs then ...:rolleyes:.
On the other hand if the condenser is acid washed then those scales could not get out.

Thanks again.
Cheers

smpsmp45
14-05-2008, 07:48 AM
I checked with the customer on this aspect. They are openign up the Condenser once in a year & are doing the cleaning operation. Inspite of all the precautions, they still find small particles which sip in through the filter though. But in general they are happy about it.

WINJA
14-05-2008, 08:20 AM
Hi everybody,

Thank you for your replies.

What I was wondering is actually an open circuit with a cooling tower. Obviously if the water circuit was closed then the scaling would be minimal.
Because of narrow passage ways between the plates, If scaling occurs then ...:rolleyes:.
On the other hand if the condenser is acid washed then those scales could not get out.

Thanks again.
Cheers
Even with a tds (total disolved solids)controller and regular water treatment scale will still occur when used with a cooling tower , some of the bphe scaled within 3 years on one of our sites , the tube in tube copper ones seemed to last a little longer but are only good for small units

swaminathan van
14-05-2008, 09:17 AM
hi all, i was on a job where we had 154 units manufactured by denco and they all had plate heat exchangers,individual units upto 105 kw cooling with three circuits.
but the system was a primary and secondary type, primary being cooling towers and huge plate heat enchangers and secondary being the flow and return to and from the building.worked fine because the water in the secondary was very clean.
uniflair also make these units which have plate heat exchangers as standard.hope this helps.

lana
16-05-2008, 08:10 AM
Hi there,

Thank you everybody for your replies.

Personally I would prefer shell and tube condensers and also PHE which is the gasket type (can be opened). BUT the brazed type .....:confused:.

Most appreciated guys.

Cheers

PVA
17-05-2008, 09:56 AM
Hello!

I also had situation with PHE and open system. But there are no problems in this case. Customer cleans this PHE ones a year.

hendry
18-05-2008, 04:20 AM
Hi Iana,
knowing the high requriement necessary in PHE design, normally it is not advisable to use it in condensing pack.
moreover, its maintenance at the mercy of plant owner.
i feel the operation cost should be the key considerations.

hope that helps.

Hendry, on wesak day holiday.

lana
18-05-2008, 09:50 AM
Thanks for the input.
Cheers

monkey spanners
19-05-2008, 12:14 AM
Hi hendry,

:off topic: It's not Wesak day is it :eek: just had a beer with my dinner :eek: :eek: :eek:

Jon

edit: just checked and it is too, still i've only broken two of the eight precepts :(

yangchenchen
30-07-2008, 09:37 AM
PHE is not suitable for open cooling water system, maybe dust filter and water treatment such as water softening be used .