PDA

View Full Version : How do you read the site?

taz24
09-05-2008, 01:02 AM
I got to wondering how people read the site and sites like this, after reading a post that was complaining it had been posted in the wrong section.

For example I only go to the unread button and read threads that have been posted since my last visit. If there are hundreds of unread posts I select the titles and read the ones I think are intresting to me. When I finish I always hit the "mark all posts read" button so I know I am starting fresh every visit. If a thread then crops up that I have not read and I think it may be intresting I read it, somtimes replying but most often just moving on.

Then I read a thread that complains about where the posts are.

Do you look to the sections to find individual posts?
Do you just browes aimlessly untill you find somthing that intrests you?

Just wondering taz....

superswill
09-05-2008, 01:06 AM
I got to wondering how people read the site and sites like this after reading a post that was complaining it had been posted in the wrong section.

For example I only go to the unread button and read threads that have been posted since my last visit. If there are hundreds of unread ones I select the titles and read the ones I think are intresting to me. When I finish I always hit the mark all posts read button so I know I am starting fresh every visit. If a thread then crops up that I have not read and I think it may be intresting I read it, somtimes replying but most often just moving on.

Then I read a thread that complains about where the posts are.
Do you look to the sections to find individual posts?
Do you just browes aimlessly untill you find somthing that intrests you>

Just wondering taz....

i just browes aimlessly,looking at threads relevant to me if i have little time, or if online for a while i try reading and understanding were i can

US Iceman
09-05-2008, 01:11 AM
I generally watch the forums I volunteered for and then the others that may be of interest or something I can comment on quickly.

I have my views set up to show the most recent posts are on top so I can read the latest comments and work backward from there.

Once I've seen what is happening, I then mark the forums read and start over on the next visit.

The Viking
09-05-2008, 01:24 AM
-"Half asleep, naked on the sofa, trying to muster the energy to either go to bed or find the motivation to get up and recommission the A/C system (anybody knows anyone that can do that for me??!!)"

(You asked for that one, sorry)

The answer you are looking for:
-"pretty much like yourself"

Grizzly
09-05-2008, 01:29 AM
-"Half asleep, naked on the sofa, trying to muster the energy to either go to bed or find the motivation to get up and recommission the A/C system (anybody knows anyone that can do that for me??!!)"

Not a pretty thought at any time of day.
Grizzly.
PS How do I mark the posts as read as described by taz?

The Viking
09-05-2008, 01:31 AM
Top left hand corner of any page click on [quick links] and from the drop down menu click on [mark forums read]

superswill
09-05-2008, 01:32 AM
[/COLOR]

wrong so wrong! at least i have the cat on my lap to save my blushes

Grizzly
09-05-2008, 01:34 AM
Viking.
Your obviously not that asleep! (very quick response).
And thanks for the "How to".
Grizzzly (I'm catching up with you!)

WebRam
09-05-2008, 09:18 AM
just a heads up, the FAQ link has been upgraded and is now very comprehensive/

:)

Grizzly
09-05-2008, 11:57 AM
just a heads up, the FAQ link has been upgraded and is now very comprehensive/

:)

Not really creeping, just stating a fact!

You have done a really brilliant Job!!!
Even if I do need Sat nav to find my way around.

Di no-one ever tell you about giving "Fridgies" options?
Cheers Grizzly;)

750 Valve
15-05-2008, 12:18 PM
I usually only check the areas that interest me, and then just the threads in each one that take my eye.

Supermarket Refrig
Commercial
Industrial
Tech speculations
Fundamentals
Tech discussions
Chit chat

I don't usually look at much else

paul_h
15-05-2008, 03:31 PM
I got to wondering how people read the site and sites like this, after reading a post that was complaining it had been posted in the wrong section.

For example I only go to the unread button and read threads that have been posted since my last visit. If there are hundreds of unread posts I select the titles and read the ones I think are intresting to me. When I finish I always hit the "mark all posts read" button so I know I am starting fresh every visit.
Just wondering taz....I read it the same, check new posts, check any that I've posted in or interesting titles. The when I'm done, mark all posts read.

Chunk
15-05-2008, 10:15 PM
I read the site sneakily.

I tell the missus i`m going to the bathroom,then have a quick look through.

On the 14th trip she starts to suspect something,but i blame it on good old kidney problems and she usually leaves me alone.:confused: