PDA

View Full Version : water chiller

andrewuk
30-08-2003, 10:30 PM
hi

I have a cold drink water chiller with faulty compressor(Danfoss TL3 G LBP) it's apparenty a 1/8HP with 3.2cc diplacement,our supplier does not have any instock and it will be a week before we get a new one i have a Electrolux GD40 MB 1/8HP with a 4cc displacement ,i tried it and it over heats the compressor,i did reduce the R134a charge from 85grams to 75grams ,should i reduce the charge more to say 60grams to compensate for the higher cc capacity of the pump.

ciao

Gary
30-08-2003, 11:19 PM
Not enough information.

herefishy
31-08-2003, 01:26 AM
Hi andrewuk,

I would suggest that you order one, or get one from the manufacturer of the chiller. Sometimes the compressor model is proprietary, and you cannot get the component after-market (most commonly in ice machine applications).

I suggest contacting the manufacturer of the appliance you are servicing, and obtaining th OEM component accordingly if you are having such difficulty.

It may take a week to get the proper component in, but you will be a month before your jack-legged repair even seems to resemble proper operation.... good grief!

:p

Gary
31-08-2003, 03:26 AM
I'm finding that saying, "Not enough information" is much easier than typing the list. Maybe I'll just add it to my sig line... LOL

FreezerGeezer
01-09-2003, 08:27 AM
Good rant, Marc! I agree with your comments above. I for one have always felt that, regardless of eaxct discipline, service personnel aren't taught to analyse the system as a whole. Instead, we are taught to repair the symptom. This generally works okay, but doesn't always fix the true cause of the symptom.
When I was graded as Improver, I once asked my then supervisor if he could explain how a Hussman combined HT/LT pack worked (it had an interstage plate heat exchanger, and I was having trouble relating it to the cascade systems we were doing at college at the time). This guy was one of the best service tech's I'd worked with, but he couldn't begin to explain how this system worked, or exactly why it was designed this way.
He was damned good at fault finding & fixing, but he didn't truly understand the systems.
I often wonder how much better a tech I'd be if I'd be trained in a country where they take these things seriously. I suspect that I'd be a hell of a lot better, not to mention happier in my work!

andrewuk
04-09-2003, 09:28 PM
all points well made.the compressor i fitted was to big capacity ,i got a slightly smaller capacity compressor from a friend and hey presto the condensor temp went down about 50 %.and the compressor no longer over heats and trips on it's thermal protection ,now it runs as per spec.

ciao for now

FreezerGeezer
07-09-2003, 09:05 PM
Hello Marc

You've got the number, mate. Just ring, or I'll ring you soon.
How'd you do the circle - one course in each? No way could I pig out in all of those in one go! lol!
Yeah, y-k-w is one smart cookie, all right. By the way, his bro. has moved company, to another of the big ones.
We're getting quite keen on this data logging lark (the type where you create a long term overview of a site / unit) since you-know-when. The BAS boys in particular have been at the forefront, using it for the last year or so to prove how much energy customers save by installing (our) BAS systems on their sites. One place paid for the BAS installation within 6 months, thanks to the savings!:cool:

I'm trying to get people to provide the golden 8 readings when they phone asking for advice, but to be honest, most of the time it's simple stuff, like 'why is my evaporator covered in ice?' Duh.:rolleyes:

And finally, I find that reading the literature always makes for a good start! :D
Back when I was an Improver, I helped/corrected/annoyed a number of senior engineers experiencing problems with one thing or another, because I'd read the manual! :p

CuGe
14-08-2005, 06:05 AM
Isn't the SDT 5 deg higher than the cond off temp?

Brian
14-08-2005, 11:31 AM
I think generally Mark the York engineers are cautious to whom they give information to. Hence if you are asking questions about compressor losses (isentropic...which is understood by most techs) they are less likely to be dragged into the conversation, because they assume you must have some knowledge to work on fridge gear (they see it as standard and dont need to comment).

jteixiera
17-10-2005, 09:28 PM
i just finished nvq3 did my studies abroad
curently in hnd course
just a coment about what big mac said
i got a few peopple in my class that dont know anything about refrigeration never mind the word vrv