PDA

View Full Version : Oil dripping from flared fitting on evaporator

sysrq2000
05-05-2008, 06:19 AM
Hey everyone, new to these forums, and happy I found them. Last year, I installed a Sanyo ductless split system, it is a unit that has 3 evaporators to one outdoor unit, and uses R-410a. While I was remodeling in one of the rooms, as I pulled the evaporator just a few inches off the wall, I noticed oil dripping from the suction line, at the flared fitting. I can see why people greatly dislike using these fittings. I tightened the fitting up some, and checked for leaks before and after with some soapy water. I never seem to see any bubbles, it appears that I am only getting oil leaking from the fitting. A couple days later, the problem has seem to have severely worsened, as I have found several drops of oil on the ground now.

The condenser is on a flat roof, with the evaporators not more than 2 feet below it. Is this enough to cause a problem with oil buildup at the lowest point in the lines, or does the refrigerant carry it through regularly? And if I have managed to stop the leak(I'll check again tomorrow) should I be concerned at the amount of oil the system has lost, or is there an ample amount to where a small loss is manageable? Thanks in advance for your help, as I seem to be on my own with keeping this system running(there are no techs in the area who will even deal with r410).

The Viking
05-05-2008, 09:44 AM
Where there is oil leaking from the flare, chances are that gas has escaped as well.

You said that it got worse after you tighten it up?
Then I would say that the flare have to be re-made. Most likely the flare wasn't properly made or it was over tightened at the original install.

The best way forward would be to reclaim the refrigerant and weigh how much you get out.
Then take the offending flare apart and re-make it.
After you have done this pressure test the whole system with OFN, give it a good vacuum and recharge with the correct amount of R410a.

Good Luck,

brianubaldo
05-05-2008, 11:40 AM
i handle also sanyo brand system.
the design is 1 condenser and dual expansion; each expansion valve carried 2 evaporators installed in a eutectic systems.

in this case, i advice that you cut the old flare due to it migth be over tightened. and flare again.
then re-process the system.

then test it; check the oil level when the machine is idle and running.

Brian_UK
05-05-2008, 02:27 PM
i handle also sanyo brand system.
the design is 1 condenser and dual expansion; each expansion valve carried 2 evaporators installed in a eutectic systems.
brian
SAMSUNG Tech. Support
I think the original post was about air conditioning not eutectics.

nike123
05-05-2008, 09:37 PM
then test it; check the oil level when the machine is idle and running.

Please, give us procedures for testing oil levels (idle and running) at this equipment. ;)

brianubaldo
06-05-2008, 02:38 AM
either airconditioning or cold storage. refrigeration system is the same. only difference is the temperature.

just look in sigth glass in compressor:rolleyes:
when machine is off position there is much level of oil and when it runs the oil level will be lower. just check oil when it runs because he said oil drips in flare maybe oil is not enough to lubricate moving parts.:eek:

nike123
06-05-2008, 07:43 AM
either airconditioning or cold storage. refrigeration system is the same. only difference is the temperature.

just look in sigth glass in compressor:rolleyes:
when machine is off position there is much level of oil and when it runs the oil level will be lower. just check oil when it runs because he said oil drips in flare maybe oil is not enough to lubricate moving parts.:eek:

Original poster speak here about Sanyo split system with 3 indoor unit connected to 1 outdoor. To my knowledge, these compressors doesn't have any sight glass.
Therefore, I asked how you check oil level in these compressors.:eek:

brianubaldo
06-05-2008, 09:41 AM
low oil level cause high ampere to unit!
sell you kidney and buy a clamp ameter. ;)

sysrq2000
06-05-2008, 11:13 AM
Thanks for your input guys. Today, I closed the high side valve, and let the unit pump all the refrigerant all back into the condenser. I re-made the flare, and have decided the factory flares that are included on the pre-cut to length tubing are crud. (There was a ridge along the inside like they didnt even file it clean!) Vacuumed the line, and started it all back up. It seems to be holding well now. Am kind of skeptical about how much gas may have leaked out, and the oil, but I need to finish my training/certification still, as I am having a hard time understanding the proper pressure to a full charge.

monkey spanners
06-05-2008, 07:34 PM

just look in the sigth glass in the compressor

I don't claim to be any sort of expert with sanyo ac systems but i have never seen a split or multi split ac system with an oil level sightglass in the compressor.....

sysrq,

You will be very unlikely to have lost enough oil if it is just a few drips as you say, most slpit ac compressor failures due to low oil level are caused by there being a shortage of refrigerant and hence not enough puff to push the oil back along the pipes to the compressors sump imo especialy if the system has long pipe runs.
I would be inclined to recover the refrigerant and weigh it back in to the recommended charge, if oil has leaked so will some refrigerant.

Jon

philfridge
06-05-2008, 07:49 PM
Hi best if you have a leaking flare to cut out and braze pipework instead if it is possible. Will solve the problem and sounds like the oil leaked will not be noticed but I would add some gas if needed.

nike123
06-05-2008, 09:29 PM
low oil level cause high ampere to unit!
sell you kidney and buy a clamp ameter. ;)
I have various clamp ammeter almost 23 years now!
And I have both kidneys and I need them to process all that good beer.:rolleyes:
I newer heard for that method of checking oil level. However, in my opinion, it could be plausible only after bearings are already damaged by low oil level.;)