PDA

View Full Version : maytag gc2224gekb

fearless
03-05-2008, 12:54 PM
can anyone help with problem with my american style side by side fridge/freezer. freezer intermittently switches itself off and defrosts all the food. fridge appears to still hold temperature. when you open fridge door compressor starts up.when closed it stops??any ideas or does anyone fix these things in the midlands area?
anyone else experiencing same probs maybe?:confused:

Electrocoolman
04-05-2008, 12:17 AM
Hi,
How old is this unit? Does it have electronic temperature displays etc, or do you have a thermostat inside at rear rhs of fridge as well as a freezer control at rear lhs of fridge.?
Thermostat dial has numbers 1,2,3,4 etc., and freezer control has letters A,B.C etc.

Is fan running inside freezer?

fearless
04-05-2008, 11:10 AM
unit is 15months old.number displays on inside of top of fridge.all appears to be working inside.just the compressor will not run until fridge door is opened.when closed it shuts comp.off.

Electrocoolman
04-05-2008, 12:06 PM
Have you tried measuring the ACTUAL temperature inside the freezer and fridge compartments with a thermometer to confirm what the displays are telling you is correct?

Does the handbook give any guidance...there's not an energy saving mode?

Again, what's the freezer fan doing?

It could be a fault with the control board...you'll need to get someone in who knows these units.

The last thing to try is to empty it all out, switch off for 48hrs leaving doors open....this is to thoroughly defrost the unit. Solid blocks of ice take a long time to clear!

garryb
11-08-2008, 01:25 PM
I have the same unit and the same problem, with the fridge door open the compressor kicks in but as soon as you push the light switch in in the fridge side the compressor turns off, if anyone knows the problem I would love to know the answer

tonto33
11-08-2008, 03:52 PM
ive had a couple were as the light switch was at fault and was killing the compressor everytime you shut the door, weird one i changed the switch and it seemed to occur the problem