PDA

View Full Version : Daikin Compressor failure

Wof56
29-04-2008, 12:28 PM
We have installed a Daikin RZQ100C7V1B/FAQ100B which has been in for 5 months, we have been told the compressor has failed can anyone tell me what the compressor winding resistances should be?

I inspected the unit and found that the noise filter board has also blown is this a common problem that if the compressor fails it blows the boards as well?

If the compressor has failed as well as the boards it would be a cheaper option just to replce the whole outdoor unit labour wise not sure how Daikin would react to that though.

Regards Mark

p_p
29-04-2008, 03:39 PM
Hi Mark

Whats wrong with the comp, seized, broken windings or down to earth. I would expect resistance to be somwhere beetween 1-5 ohm all equal.

Regards

PP

Brian_UK
30-04-2008, 12:35 AM
Only 5 months old - under warranty - send it back and get it replaced.

The Viking
30-04-2008, 08:21 AM
If it's blown the noise filter, then the compressor is most likely down to earth (always been when I seen this).

It is also likely to have damaged the inverter board...

[To check if it's down to earth you will need a proper megger, there should be an open circuit between the compressor's terminals and earth]

[To check the inverter board, disconnect the compressor and bypass the noise filter then start the unit up and measure the output from the inverter. It doesn't matter what voltage you get between the phases and neutral but it should be the same for all 3 phases]

paul_h
30-04-2008, 02:34 PM
The windings are lower than a standard multimeter will measure, typically 300milli ohms, your regular meter will read 1-1.5 ohms. You don't need to worry about that anyway, it's a short to earth that blows up PCBs usually (especially filter boards, that's a big one), not a short between windings. You need to test resistance with a megger, anything above 10Mohms is good, anything around 2Mohms is suspect, anything below that is shorted.
Don't forget condenser fans, they can short and blow filter boards too. If they are DC inverter fans, you need to test them without a megger, test the diodes in the motors.

Wof56
01-05-2008, 12:02 PM
Thanks for the tips i have the dealer going to site tomorrow to inspect the unit, would a normal continuity meter show up the windings as down to earth or does it have to be a meggar?

Regards Mark

nike123
01-05-2008, 01:13 PM
Thanks for the tips i have the dealer going to site tomorrow to inspect the unit, would a normal continuity meter show up the windings as down to earth or does it have to be a meggar?

Regards Mark

It has to be mega Ohm meter! Normal meter don't have voltage high enough to measure insulation strength which is different at different voltage. You maybe could measure some resistance with normal meter depending on damage to insulation but that measurement is not correct.