PDA

View Full Version : classic car cooling (help)

Kami
29-04-2008, 11:24 AM
Hello,

I’m new to this forum & I’m looking for some help:confused:

My issue is weird.:rolleyes:

The problem is that I have a Classic mini cooper that don’t have an air conditioner :(
& if I put a normal car compressor the engine can’t handle it, the engine will heat up

Now I’m looking for electric air condition for my car & didn’t found small one

Do you think it will work if I use

12v DC to 220v AC Power Inverter
Small rotary air conditioner compressor and connect it to a car AC unit
I will use the car boot for the compressor :D

Do you have any better idea?

Thanks in advance :)

paul_h
29-04-2008, 07:01 PM
Crazy. you're talking about mechanical to electrical to mechanical. Whatever load a mechanical compressor is going to put on the syetm, the alternator will (plus more) if you try run and electrical compressor.
Too many power loses. You're better of with a front mounted condenser and a larger radiator, less strain on the electrics, which is an important point when dealing with old electrics. Just get a modern effcient mechanical compressor and good electric thermofans. Plenty of low powered/capacity cars can run them, don't see why an old mini couldn't. Sure you will have power loses when it's running, but it shouldn't over heat.

monkey spanners
29-04-2008, 07:04 PM
Hi Kami,

What year is your cooper? I'm guessing 60's or early 70's with the side mounted radiator. A few years ago when i was interested in tuned minis you could get an uprated radiator (2 core, i think) that was capable of cooling engines tuned to over 110 HP.

I'd be looking to run an uprated radiator, uprated fan blade and electric fan and an oil cooler.

Even an electricly driven compressor will be ultimatly driven by the engine via the alternator, and you will sill have the heat from the condenser being rejected into the engine bay, so i'm not sure the inverter driven compressor will help.

I seem to remember that for the last few years of proper mini production air conditioning was available for the Japanese market. It would be worth looking into how Rover got around the problems you are having (front mounted radiator and condenser i think).

Cheers Jon

thermo prince
29-04-2008, 07:38 PM
Agree with good points made by PaulH and Monkey Spanners.

Substituting an 'electrically driven' compressor like a Danfoss for a conventional vee-belt driven swash plate will not entirely solve challenge of input power req'mt!
Assuming, as MonkeySpanners asked, its an original BMC with an old LUCAS dynamo of 20~25amps that would need to be removed and retrofitted with a modern alternator of up to 55~65 amps rating on 12Vdc, or more. You need consider not alone compressor amps but condenser fan and enhanced interior blower changes from the original under-dash heater box kit. You may need to upgrade to an alternator in any event.

Again , as the man said, many of today's little sub minis from Japan are anything from 700cc to 1 litre engines so a/c input power challenge has been addressed. Unless your motor needs to be decoked or rebored due to oriinal high mileage, there's not reaon why an 850cc could not power a small a/c unit.
Uprated engine radiator and a good oversize p.f. alum brazed condenser coil can help dissipate heats.

It may not be that you ever get 24C 50% RH interior on a 48C / 85%RH Dubai sweltering day but you can certainly create some relative comfort by taking 10~15C deg off it and dehumidifying.

Why not have a word with local auto a/c shop in Dubai or with the guys at RTS (PD Cooper) who are most knowledgeable.
They can advise you of small Sanden 505 , Uniclas, TAMA and Denso compressors of around 100~130cc dispalcement and on complete car kits.

Another point to finish is many people don't understand that increased fuel consumption due to drag created by open windows often can and does exceed the power consumed in running the a/c unit. These small compressors would take in the order of 2.5~4HP dependent on running load conditions.

regards and good luck :)
T -P

Karl Hofmann
29-04-2008, 11:54 PM
Roughly 200 Minis were sent to Japan fitted with aircon.. I think that they were developed for Rover by Motor Climate in Bordsley heath in Birmingham so they are the guys to ask. I did have the compressor and drive kit that bolted on to the mini engine block but the compressor got fitted to a Triumph Dolomite Sprint but it was a really neat little compressor but I cant remember what model it was.. I still have the drive kit if you are interested... As for fitting it, the PD Cooper at RTS is your man

Kami
30-04-2008, 09:34 AM
So it’s not good idea to use electric A/C in my mini
What is the best car compressor I can have for my mini?
Can you please help me to choose an A/C compressor for my mini?
I don’t know what compressor to buy
Thank you.

Karl Hofmann
30-04-2008, 04:21 PM
Kami,

The compressor fitted to the BMC Mini was pretty unique and I have only ever seen one like it before.. On Ebay.. I think that it was made by Unicla, unfortunately I cant remember exactly... You may be able to track one down from the Austin Rover part number on this web site... http://www.minimania.com/images/FicheCatalogs/1990/90_Card2/08cool/index.htm

thermo prince
30-04-2008, 04:37 PM
Kami, as Karl suggests take a look on the site to see what Austin Rover officially used.
It may be a small Seiko-Seiki. They make very small compact rotaries for small /tight spaced blocks.
All those brands I mentioned yesterday are quite good, otherwise they would not be in business.
TAMA (also known as Zexel or Diesel Kiki) with Denso tend to be dominant in OEM auto business. Unicla and Sanden feature in retro and aftermarket end of business.
Other considerations in addition to physical space available plus cc displacement would be :
tab or block mount;
PAG oil or POE ( both for HFC134a of course)
with choices of 'A' section drive belt or polyvee clutch pulley.

Good auto shop can set you right on all this 'science' if it sounds too bewildering.

regards
T-P

Kami
01-05-2008, 08:27 AM
Thank you for your help :)