PDA

View Full Version : Approaching companies for sub-contraction work

IceMan08
28-04-2008, 06:13 PM
Hi guys, recently started out on my own, I've been handing out brochures/business cards to drum up some business but the uk weathers really not helping my cause:mad:!
I was wondering how the best way to approach companies to gain subbie work would be???
I know I could just ring them and say "im available";) but I think that maybe a tad arrogant?!?! any ideas???:confused:

superswill
28-04-2008, 06:28 PM
I think the best way would to be approach companies you already have links with i.e. previous companies and companies you are know to, then in a industry that is very much based on reputation and the old saying your only as good as your last job, it will lead to more work and what’s wrong with asking? The cost of ten phones calls over the profit off one job, well it works it self out for me

Chunk
28-04-2008, 06:35 PM
Hi Iceman

Have a word with Project 1st,lets just say two engineers resigned last friday and dropped us in the sh1t,within 4 hours of leaving they were asked to sub back doing service,a/c and whatever else might be available.Theres plenty for you to do.;)And its all local for you.

SUBCONTRACTOR
28-04-2008, 07:22 PM
Hi guys, recently started out on my own, I've been handing out brochures/business cards to drum up some business but the uk weathers really not helping my cause:mad:!
I was wondering how the best way to approach companies to gain subbie work would be???
I know I could just ring them and say "im available";) but I think that maybe a tad arrogant?!?! any ideas???:confused:

Iceman

One of the major problems is that most of the subbies are rushing to do the job and leave a bad impressions for the future subbies.As a matter of fact i consider myself expert but it is sooooo hard to prove it as many before us are interested in the money first.As i see the refrigeration business firstly i love it very much and had achieved deep understanding before i went swimming into the deep ocean and the last thing in the world is the money.
It is not just to bash a few holes in the wall and hang the unit......when it comes to commissioning the sweetest part then you can enjoy to what you had done.
What can help you when approaching companies is you have to say as i do (for example) i can supply if need be install it ,commission it and give three years warranty(if i supply the system) if not only one year labour written warranty.:D

IceMan08
28-04-2008, 10:53 PM
thanks for your replies guys, hmm, I just left the newest addition to project 1st!!!(although more than a week ago)
I can supply and install, but commissioning im not 100% sure what it entails!?:confused::eek:

Chunk
28-04-2008, 11:01 PM
thanks for your replies guys, hmm, I just left the newest addition to project 1st!!!(although more than a week ago):confused::eek:

I know;)

Just saying that they make engineers leave and expect you to sub back to them.We still dont know what extra work we have got coming up but we definately dont have enough staff to cover anything:p.

SUBCONTRACTOR
29-04-2008, 09:50 PM
thanks for your replies guys, hmm, I just left the newest addition to project 1st!!!(although more than a week ago)
I can supply and install, but commissioning im not 100% sure what it entails!?:confused::eek:

Commissioning?? This means to make the system running.If it is a simple split it is easy but if it is VRV it is not a bulb to switche it on it involve a lots of checks,vacs ,gas, this and that get a commissioning sheet and fill in running amps ,temperatures,.........and then the system up and running this is commissioning .:D

eggs
29-04-2008, 11:53 PM
Iceman, there is a deluge of subbies at the moment. Contractors have their pick and choose of the very best. A lot of subbies are running for the cover of cards in employment. (or house bashing as sparkies)
Times are tough, concentrate on your own trade contacts. Hopfully you will ride out the storm and the good time will return.

Eggs

IceMan08
30-04-2008, 01:03 AM
If it is a simple split it is easy but if it is VRV it is not a bulb to switche it on it involve a lots of checks,vacs ,gas, this and that get a commissioning sheet and fill in running amps ,temperatures,.........and then the system up and running this is commissioning .:D
I assumed that the split systems would also need all these type of checks? I understand the measurements must be in line with the manufacturers specifications, does anyone have a comissioning sheet I can check out please???

SUBCONTRACTOR
30-04-2008, 08:33 PM
I assumed that the split systems would also need all these type of checks? I understand the measurements must be in line with the manufacturers specifications, does anyone have a comissioning sheet I can check out please???

Absolutely right,all the checks are valid for a single split as well.
If you need sheets go to search button type commissioning sheets and presto.:D