PDA

View Full Version : Working in Australia.

suctionheader
27-04-2008, 11:23 AM
Iam Refrigeration engineer from the south of England. Iam
keen to relocate to Australia. I imagine there are quite a few Brits that have followed that path, what are the differences between the job in England and Aus ?
Is my standard of living going to improve by going to Aus?

750 Valve
27-04-2008, 12:46 PM

sun, sun, sun and um sun.... plus some ambients above 20C.... I think you'd like it :D

odgy
01-05-2008, 10:09 PM
mates are there and aint coming back. does that answer it for you??

Josip
01-05-2008, 10:32 PM
Hi, odgy :)

mates are there and aint coming back. does that answer it for you??

.... travel tickets are not for free;)

Best regards, Josip :)

flare spanner
06-05-2008, 12:36 PM
you need a restricted electrical licence that the main differance... pay is good around $34h (thats in perth)overtime rates are also good... sun sea it just one BIG play ground

kevn
06-05-2008, 11:04 PM
you need a restricted electrical licence

You need to be a permanent resident to get the electrical license. Cant get it on Working holiday visa.

yazid
07-05-2008, 04:15 AM
don`t forget your girl in england, maybe you`ll get aus girl. :D

petewa
09-05-2008, 12:57 PM
the rate of pay in perth is more like the $30-34 mark depending on experience. no offence but we're getting outnumbered over here at the moment by both poms and south africans by about 4-1!!!:rolleyes: are there no fridgies in oz that love sun, sea and a relaxed way of life that want a job? :)

chris96
09-05-2008, 08:33 PM
I came back from Oz due to not having or obtaining the licences. there was other factors but i will be heading back in the near future. I was In Brisbane. I also am a Australian resident.

750 Valve
14-05-2008, 02:21 PM
the rate of pay in perth is more like the $30-34 mark depending on experience. no offence but we're getting outnumbered over here at the moment by both poms and south africans by about 4-1!!!:rolleyes: are there no fridgies in oz that love sun, sea and a relaxed way of life that want a job? :)

nah mate we all have good paying jobs, some even better than $34/hour... :)

paul_h
14-05-2008, 06:47 PM
You need to be a permanent resident to get the electrical license. Cant get it on Working holiday visa.Worse, you need three years on the job training for a full licence (read: you need to do another apprenticeship). Without a full licence you can't install, just repair like for like.
In other news, I've replaced 3 isolators in the past week that "qualified" electrcians fitted to a/cs that had no business being there, crappy gpo switch mechanisims that shouldn't be connected to a high current start device like a compressor.
I've had to do this multiple times per year, over the last 5 years since I've been working on domestic splits.
Electricians here mostly suck, but they are the most protected trade by law and they are moving into the air con field due to lack of barriers. They do a short course and they are able to install a/cs, or get the big $$$$$$$ mining jobs because everyone respects a dual trade sparky even though they don't have much of a clue about refrigeration, they still get the jobs.

edit: I don't mean so sound so bitter, any overseas sparky should move to australia. The more here the better, then maybe I can get one to work with me on installs and get more work. I even know 3 personally and they can't help me out because they are busy, fussy, or lazy.

chris96
14-05-2008, 08:50 PM
Hi Paul

Is it mostly the smaller kit the sparky's are moving into, or are they also dabbling with vrv's, chiller's and so on. i can see them being able to pinch install work for quick cash, but surely when it comes to the more complicated systems nothing beats a good fridge tech :)

Kp3
14-05-2008, 11:06 PM
hi all i've justed had 3 wks in oz to show my partner its a better life out there. highly recommend moving out there. just starting the visa now cos she loved it that much out there

paul_h
15-05-2008, 04:28 AM
Hi Paul

Is it mostly the smaller kit the sparky's are moving into, or are they also dabbling with vrv's, chiller's and so on. i can see them being able to pinch install work for quick cash, but surely when it comes to the more complicated systems nothing beats a good fridge tech :)
I don't really care to much about them pinching install work. I mean more to the point of me having to knock back work because I have to get a sparky onboard and they're not interested or a rip off. When you find one interested, they normally follow you for a few, then decide to go it alone, because they can.

750 Valve
15-05-2008, 11:19 AM
yep its pretty sad to see whats happening with sparkies, if the ARC had any balls they would insist that all A/C's came into aus nitrogen charged, then they would have to do more than the 2 week course that they currently require to legally install them.

Having said that, it was the ARC that was behind the split install course that has been developed, so our own National Refrigeration Council is helping to take the dollars away from our trade - pretty crap situation and the reason i refused to cough for a crappy arctick license until this year.

If they went all the way regarding licensing of refrigerants then I would be a fan, but you can buy HC's and ammonia and not get asked for a license... why? because they are "natural refrigerants" and they don't care if they are released to atmosphere... they also don't care about the inexperienced hack who inadvertently kills himself or others around him by the use of these natural refrigerants.

Sorry for the rant its just that I think the ARC is a crock of $hit.

Makanic
15-05-2008, 02:14 PM
I don't really care to much about them pinching install work. I mean more to the point of me having to knock back work because I have to get a sparky onboard and they're not interested or a rip off. When you find one interested, they normally follow you for a few, then decide to go it alone, because they can.

Good to know im not the only one that feels that way..Havent come accross a Inteligent sparky yet,
And Ive used a few ,they must use the Last of there Inteligence to get there A-Grade after that they all seem to go down hill.
One sparky i used 4 out of 6 Jobs he cross wired the indoor unit (D*ck Head)
Now i always check all wiring myself...

jjthefridge
24-05-2008, 10:52 PM
Iam Refrigeration engineer from the south of England. Iam
keen to relocate to Australia. I imagine there are quite a few Brits that have followed that path, what are the differences between the job in England and Aus ?

Hi
i know it ain't Aus we've just come back from new zealand, money not as good as in the uk or Aus, but its a realy chilled out place and they're crying out for fridgy's

j.j.
:D

smilies
27-05-2008, 01:06 AM
I would love to work in another country, for the experience and challenges. My wife and kids do not agree with me though. You guys must be single.

jjthefridge
27-05-2008, 09:53 PM
I would love to work in another country, for the experience and challenges. My wife and kids do not agree with me though. You guys must be single.

Hi
We're selling up. moving, me, girlfriend and dog to nz, she wants to get married first(then we can adopt out there) my son's comming out for summer holidays. (Thats the plan)

just got to sell the house and get visa.

j.j.:D

DALO
22-06-2008, 05:09 AM
$34 an hour +?? Who are you guys working for??
If thats in Perth then i assume the mining boom is inflating the wages. Most guys i speak to in Sydney still think $30 an hour is the going rate.

750 Valve
28-06-2008, 10:52 AM
$34 an hour +?? Who are you guys working for??
If thats in Perth then i assume the mining boom is inflating the wages. Most guys i speak to in Sydney still think $30 an hour is the going rate.

Supermarket companies, Bakers, Austral, Frigrite, Hussmann

DALO
08-07-2008, 02:57 AM
How much overtime do you guys get???

WINJA
08-07-2008, 06:54 AM
don`t forget your girl in england, maybe you`ll get aus girl. :D
yeah aussie girls are great till they open their mouth

WINJA
08-07-2008, 06:59 AM
Supermarket companies, Bakers, Austral, Frigrite, Hussmann
I used to work for Lawrence refrigeration in melbourne they were really good , they were just merged to be QAL , awesome times i miss it and would love to go back, Hussman had the really nice falcon utes back then , hell of a company car

750 Valve
08-07-2008, 10:06 AM
Winja, the falcons are pretty much standard now across all supermarket companies, they are comfortable and combined with a sliding tray in the back to stop from climbing into them all the time makes a very good service vehicle.

Dalo - we get a fair bit of O/T, usually double the base wage (minimum) over the year if you have a cruisy year, even more if you chase the coin and do heaps of callout.

fridgey
08-07-2008, 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by 750 Valve http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/images/VA_RE/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=111474#post111474)
nah mate we all have good paying jobs, some even better than $34/hour... :)

From talking to guys across the industry, ie in supermarket, air-con and commercial in Melbourne the going rate is around the $30/hour mark, with car and phone. Not to many companies would pay above this to someone just starting. Sure there is the potential to be paid more, and a lot of guy are, but this is only after proving there value.

As for supermarkets, personally there not for me. You may earn a extra at the end of the day. At a cost though, 80 hour weeks and being on call every second or third week. Doesn't leave much time for the sun and sand. ;)

Speaking of supermarket companies the biggest here Frigrite looks on pretty shaky ground. Just caught a glimpse of there latest share price 16c/share there lowest. My take on this is that coles and wooleys (the dual-opoly supermarkets) have pretty much stuffed the company. You can only keep paying fridgies at top rates and charging them out at pennies for so long before it begins to hurt. Not to mention, installation where they made all there money in the past are not nearly as profitable due to the supermarkets having there own engineers. They specify what equpiment the want in there supermarkets and what price they'll pay for it. :mad:
A business can't sustain this so long especially when they only have there finger in one pie (New Systems anyone). Something has to give. I can only hope that frigrite and all the other supermarket companies stick it too the the supermarkets and make them pay more for the industries sake.

WINJA
09-07-2008, 07:07 AM
From talking to guys across the industry, ie in supermarket, air-con and commercial in Melbourne the going rate is around the $30/hour mark, with car and phone. Not to many companies would pay above this to someone just starting. Sure there is the potential to be paid more, and a lot of guy are, but this is only after proving there value.

As for supermarkets, personally there not for me. You may earn a extra at the end of the day. At a cost though, 80 hour weeks and being on call every second or third week. Doesn't leave much time for the sun and sand. ;)

Speaking of supermarket companies the biggest here Frigrite looks on pretty shaky ground. Just caught a glimpse of there latest share price 16c/share there lowest. My take on this is that coles and wooleys (the dual-opoly supermarkets) have pretty much stuffed the company. You can only keep paying fridgies at top rates and charging them out at pennies for so long before it begins to hurt. Not to mention, installation where they made all there money in the past are not nearly as profitable due to the supermarkets having there own engineers. They specify what equpiment the want in there supermarkets and what price they'll pay for it. :mad:
A business can't sustain this so long especially when they only have there finger in one pie (New Systems anyone). Something has to give. I can only hope that frigrite and all the other supermarket companies stick it too the the supermarkets and make them pay more for the industries sake.
Its happening here to , it ended up with a big player in the supermarket game declining to qoute and pursueing other work , not to mention having to deal with the retards in the supermarket industry it can make it hardly worth it , give me high rise air con any day

750 Valve
09-07-2008, 11:04 AM
Pretty close to the mark there fridgey, although I think there's a bit more to it than just coles and woolies stuffing the company up, at some point senior management has to see the writing on the wall, after all they are the guys with the business knowledge.

The same thing happened to Austral about 3 or 4 years ago, they closed their service dept down and only did warranty on their new installs, they are ramping up again slowly.

It seems that the big players end up toppling in the end. The two majors are pretty ruthless and with Coles being bought out by Wesfarmers there is pretty much nothing happeneing there on the install and refurb side. Woolies are pumping the work out but when you consider how hard people are going for the jobs it definitely doesn't leave a lot in thew way of profits.

Frigrite shares got to 8c a week or two ago, if you bought them then you would've doubled your money, now they are at 16c. Hopefully the company hangs in there, its in the supermarket's best interest to keep two major manufacturers, it keeps competition in the market, its just when its left to get too competitive (fuelled by coles and woolies beating prices down) then things can get out of hand.

DALO
19-07-2008, 09:14 AM
to 750 valve ... what vehicles do you guys get? Is it the standard two seater or dual cabs. A lot of the air con companies now seem to be getting dual cabs as an incentive to stay.

750 Valve
20-07-2008, 01:44 AM
nah mate 2 seater falcon utes with canopies, open trays (cab chassis style) or with a manufactured toolbox arrangement on the back like these http://www.tsb.net.au/Pages/TSBliftP.html

Drew
23-07-2008, 07:29 AM
I got my REL without being a resident.
I came from South Africa with an Australian recognised Trade certificate on a 457 visa, did a quick test at tafe and got issued my REL.

Drew
23-07-2008, 07:31 AM
Been here a year and enjoying it!

Radlam
23-07-2008, 01:42 PM
Im heading over about May next year, cant fookin wait! I've been before and loved it over there!

Ill be hittin Perth if anyone is living there and workin in the industry?

martin102
20-09-2008, 04:28 PM
Im heading over about May next year, cant fookin wait! I've been before and loved it over there!

Ill be hittin Perth if anyone is living there and workin in the industry?

I work for an air con company just south of perth, Mandurah. Its great down here.:D

paul_h
21-09-2008, 12:02 AM
I work for an air con company just south of perth, Mandurah. Its great down here.:DYou didn't use to work for a company in myaree did you?

FreezerGeezer
22-09-2008, 11:53 AM
Your standard of living will be different. It's up to you to decide if it's better or worse. Same as everywhere, the cost of food & fuel has rocketed in the last couple of years.It is hotter. Melbourne is like Edinburgh though - if you don't like the weather, just wait 20 minutes! If you do a direct conversion, pay scales are slightly less than in the U.K., but cost of living is still (just, in my region) better. Factor in all the bits in my T&C that don't exist in the U.K. & I'm as well paid, if not better. There's no Tesco, Sainsbury, Waitrose or M&S so your wife might find she needs to shop at more than one place to get all she wants. However, the supermarkets here generally seem ok, just not quite the range you're used to. They have drive through beer shops (bottlo's)! :D
Red tape is generally less, except for getting your TRA & licences.
I have no intention of going back. :D

750 Valve
23-09-2008, 11:18 AM
I have no intention of going back. :D

then change your location on your profile :D

nh3wizard
23-09-2008, 06:47 PM
Hello,i'm new to this site.I am a machanic of Air Conditioning in Tamale Northern Ghana and i'm very glad to have got such a nice site where i could link with other machanics so that i may get to other companies or factories b'se i want to work outside Ghana.

I believe everyone in RE knows who you are :rolleyes: I see you have posted this same question in all of the different sections:mad::(

adamkhair
20-10-2008, 09:02 AM
Anybody want hire ma work? I from Malaysia. Experience in Refrigeration and A/C for many years. Kindly advise.

adamkhair
20-10-2008, 09:05 AM
My email syahadam@gmail.com

nike123
20-10-2008, 10:17 AM
Anybody want hire ma work? I from Malaysia. Experience in Refrigeration and A/C for many years. Kindly advise.

How many is that "many years" if you are 24 years old?:confused:

adamkhair
21-10-2008, 03:28 AM
Actually My father own their own biz in REF n A/C so i become an apprentice started at Age 14yr old.

FreezerGeezer
21-10-2008, 11:53 AM
then change your location on your profile :D

Done it mate. :D

shash
21-10-2008, 02:05 PM
Yes definately u will improve ur standard of living, in case of job u need to get licence to work in our industy,and this process takes some time,regards -SHASH

HVACRSA
28-10-2008, 07:22 PM
I am on my way to Oz. I am quite nervious and also excited about new challenge ahead. I still have alot to learn so I hope it all goes well and it all works out.

baggie
04-11-2008, 12:00 AM
Suction header
I moved to Adelaide ten years ago and have never looked back, since being here i have ran my own business for four years and built our own home. It is an advantage to have a duel trade elect/ref. However you will still do ok with just ref. If you need a job send me you C.V i need a tech.

dez
26-11-2008, 09:47 PM
Hi i am looking to move to Perth, i am a level 3 plumber/gas man and level 3 Air con/ref. When i worked out the wages and mortgage over in Oz it looked to me as if i would be at work 24/7. I will be bringing over about 75,000 gbp. Am i missing something or is it right.

paul_h
27-11-2008, 07:06 AM
House prices are dropping in perth, interest rates are dropping too.
I went halves with my brother for a house 5min from the CBD, it cost us au$650k + fees.
So my loan of $340k costs me 2.6k per month. (edit: I borrowed 100% of it because the $50k deposit I'd saved up was used to start my own business instead).

As an employee I was getting $30 p/hr, and a few hours OT, so talking home after tax $4k p/m.
No way could I afford a house on my own, or live very well without the income from my Mrs.
This is only because I didn't want to live more than 30min from anywhere and I had the opportunity to go halves with my brother for a prime location house on a 780m^2 block. It would be easy to find a house or unit further out from the CBD for less than $340k these days.

What are you going to do when you get here? Are any of you quals enough to get straight to work as a tradesman, are you planning to be self employed, do you have to do further study or an apprenticeship?
Are you coming alone, or have a family to support, or do you have family or friends here?

Housing prices and interest rates are coming down, but it's harder to find high paying jobs or adult apprenticeships as the mining boom is over.
But there's still plenty of work paying 4k per month for fully qualified (to au standards) tradesmen working as employees.
Can you tile?
My parents just paid $4k for 4 days worth of work tiling and installing bathroom sinks and tubs !!!!
I wish fridgies could earn that type of money, $700 per day is a very very good day for me, I average out only $300 per day before tax.

DALO
06-12-2008, 02:36 AM
Contentious debate this one for all guys coming out here.
I came out to Sydney 8 years ago. Loved the first year!!
I was getting $3 to my pound renting in the best suburbs and living like a king in excellent weather. However when that money ran out and i started working for Australian dollars, needed to buy a house etc reality kicked in. Gradually moved further and further away from the city the longer ive stayed, and the only reason i can afford my own home is because of my wifes wages.
I hardly know of any tradesman in Sydney who can afford to buy anything unless his wife has a great job.
Most live in the Western suburbs which means heavy traffic on the M4 on a morning. So you could say its London +10 degrees celcius.
Supermarkets here have no competition just Coles and Woolworths and a lot of Aussies have told me its cheaper to shop in the UK equivalent whenever they visit relatives.
What im trying to say is nothings free and you still have to work, but you wont have to defrost your car window on a morning before you go to work!!
Whether or not not your financially better off is just down to the individuals predicament and career.
What i can tell you is as a refrigeration mechanic you wont earn any more out here than you could do in the UK.

FreezerGeezer
06-12-2008, 11:57 PM
Agreed Dalo.
In fact, I earn less per hour here than I was in the U.K. However, take the RDO's into account, plus leave loading, better overtime rates, compulsory pension contributions (by your employer) and not having to pay income tax on your company vehicle or phone & I reckon that overall we're evens or maybe slightly better off.
If you like th eoutdoor lifestyle, Oz is great! :) If you are a culture vulture, you need to be in a city. If you're a foodie, go to Melbourne.
Worst things? Bloody slow speed limits & a fondness for enforcing them to the letter (No doing 10k's over & getting ignored here!), and NO CAFES!!!!!! :O Even in cities it's bloody hard to find a full English, and they're not cheap when you do!